Lt. Commander
# 1 Alternate Timeline ideas?
05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
This is basically a "What would happen if?" thread meant to explore alternate timelines in the Star Trek universe. In here, people can post alternate timeline ideas and/or discuss them. (This might also be a good starting place for ideas for foundry missions!)

I'll start us off:

What if:

The United Federation of Planets was less of a nation comprised of many members, but an alliance comprised of many sovereign nations? Kinda like NATO today, where they are independent nations, but are allied such that if an aggressor attacks, all the groups would pool their fleets/armies together to meet the threat?

Technology would be traded throughout this Federation, but instead of a single "Starfleet", there would be millitaries of the member groups. IE: Instead of the starfleet ships, you'd see Earth, Vulcan, Tellarite, Andorian, and/or Catian ships fighting alongside each other (and other ships from other members).

Unfortunately with this, you wouldn't see many races serving on other races' ships. IE: Not very many Vulcans serving on Earth ships.

Discuss!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Hmmm, that sounds like what if the Coalition of Planets never developed into the Federation. The Coalition was the alliance formed to fight the Romulans, and we see its initial roots in the Enterprise episode "United", where Archer organizes a combined fleet of Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellarite ships. The Coalition did not have supra-national force to compel its members to submit to its judgements, but was more like the current United Nations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2012, 02:03 AM
I wish we had got series 5 of Enterprise. I would love to see more stories about the Coalition of Planets.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2012, 06:11 AM
A lot of people wanted to see the earth/romulan war in enterprise. I think they were planing on that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
They were. Which would have been great. In my mind, Manny Coto made Enterprise finally start doing what it was meant to do from the beginning in series 4. Ah, if only he had been given the reigns from the start, Enterprise may have been more accepted as a whole from the fanbase.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Would be good if a FE/series was created that depicted a timeline where the Federation's relationship with the Klingon Empire had deteriorated into war. And the Federation was on 'shoot first ask questions later' terms with every other race in the quadrant(s).

Oh wait.......
:p
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
What if......

The U.S.S. Defiant and all hands were killed during "Sacrifice of Angels", the minefield was allready coming down and a massive Dominion fleet was coming through the wormhole, only Sisko with the wormhole aliens stopped it

If the Defiant had been destroyed the Dominion would have had a massive amount of reinforcements in the Alpha quadrant, DS9 would be a secure foothold for more troops.

The Federation / Klingon fleet would have been forced to pull back do to massive casualties in the battle as there would have been no way to retake the station/wormhole.

Cardassia would have been more stable as they would not be blamed for the failures of the campaign

The Breen may have entered the war sooner - if talks with them were going on at that point

The Romulans may have though about non agression pacts and maybe even joining with the Dominion - doubtfull though

The Founder disease would have ravaged the Founders until tthey were wiped out leaving the Vorta in effect incharge - until the Jem'hadar realise that they have the power to take over - until a new link is formed from the Founders still floating around the galaxy when they were sent away like Odo

I think i will think about that more really as that would be an interesting chain of thought