Lt. Commander
# 1 Too Negative?
05-28-2012, 05:09 AM
I found this and I couldn't think of a better place to post it. Enjoy!

http://www.succeedsocially.com/negative

Quote:
"I've noticed that as a group socially unskilled people tend be somewhat more susceptible to becoming too negative. Negative people more likely to focus on and bring up the flaws in situations, or talk about things they dislike. They generally have a cynical, pessimistic attitude. They may be straight up moody or grumpy, or they could more have a subtle prickly, sarcastic edge to them."

"Negativity hinders people in two ways. First, it's just viscerally unpleasant to be around someone who's injecting unpleasant emotions and vibes into every conversation. It's not that their points are never valid, but it wears people down to always be subjected to that perspective."

"Secondly, someone's a lot less likely to do things to further their social cause if they see the worst in everything. They're going to be held back in making friends if they keep finding flaws in everyone they meet, or they're too critical of their own efforts to improve their social skills."

Signs you may be too negative:

-You're always complaining about things, even it's in a rational, logical, "This is an interesting tidbit to mull over" kind of way.
-Your mind is tuned towards noticing the flaws in things (people, plans, ideas, art).
-Even inconsequential flaws in something will ruin it for you. You have a tough time seeing the bigger, overall positive picture.
-If someone suggests something you're really quick to point out why it won't work or why it's a bad idea.
-If you see a flaw in something, you just have to speak up and say something about it. You feel a little rush, like you're winning points, when you do this.
-If other people are talking about the positive aspects of something, you have this urge to go, "Yeah, but..." and point out its negative aspects.
-Sometimes you get this glee when you're being negative with someone else and tearing something down.
-Certain aspects of the world get under your skin, and you have to rant about them to anyone who will listen.
-If something is going well, you've got a dozen reasons why it actually sucks and won't work out.
-You think positive people are naive, have low standards, and are impressed too easily.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Don't entirely agree with all of that.

Sometimes being negative is simply about 'offloading' about something that you have no control over. I, for example, might be considered negative in the context of that text, as I complain about work frequently. Now, I don't feel that in itself makes me a negative person as such. The fact is, I have to work with said people and the only time I actually can offload about their stupidity/arrogance is when they're not around.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2012, 05:29 AM
I'd say I was pretty good socially.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Wouldn't this thread be more suitable in the Ten Forward segment of this forums?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym
"I've noticed that as a group socially unskilled people tend be somewhat more susceptible to becoming too negative."
Yeah , I'm still pretty negative here , despite being handicapped by being socially successful . :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I agree with Aelfwin. That was a load of crap.

BTW, some of us are negative because we're just smart enough to see things as they are and just stupid enough to pay attention.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-28-2012, 12:14 PM
What's wrong with being negative? Look on the bright side -- the pessimists are best prepared for zombie attack!
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-28-2012, 12:19 PM
i dont think you can pigeon hole every negative comment a person makes to a set of rules that defines that person, people can be negative for many reasons.

but you also have to judge a persons comments over a long period of time and some just say negative things all the time and yes there are some people on these forums and others that tick just about every one of those points.

im sure there are people who are the exact opposite as well and will only say positive things no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
What's wrong with being negative? Look on the bright side -- the pessimists are best prepared for zombie attack!
I like negative and zombie birds lol