Lt. Commander
# 1 Traits Are Too Weak
05-23-2012, 11:58 PM
For that you can only have 4 traits ever (and not even re-traitable ones), the traits are fairly weak. Sorry, butt that's my opinion.

For example, the telekinesis trait for a playable captain. The knockback ability itself is okay, butt the cooldown is too long. Also, there is no passive ability next to it, so it's basically 1 of 4 traits wasted on a single 2-minute knockback ability. Every science kit can do better than that. If there was a passive ability like resistance to root and knockback, then I'd say use it, butt that's not the case, so traits are basically all just a little gimmick, nuffin more and nuffin less.

The best traits so far are Accurate, Elusive, Efficient (has been nerved though) and Creative / Soldier / Lucky. Those are purrmeownent abilities that buff up your captain effectively. If you could choose 6 traits, it would be a bit better, butt still ... the core issue is the weakness of the traits themselves, specially those ground abilities for species like "Nerf Pinch" or "Telekinesis" or "Mind Meld". Also, the "Borg Nanoprobes" aren't really strong either.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marika.shran View Post
For that you can only have 4 traits ever
When I click on my captain and select "Passives" I have far, far more than 4 traits; many of them duplicate others available at the beginning of play, and stack with other traits of the same type.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgig00 View Post
When I click on my captain and select "Passives" I have far, far more than 4 traits; many of them duplicate others available at the beginning of play, and stack with other traits of the same type.
That's funny. I only have four selectable traits I got when I created the character. How do you have a giant list of Passives you selected?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2012, 09:49 PM
It's all you how set up the traits to mesh with class and gear you put on them. Although of playing both factions the KDF has fewer races but more beneficial in my view of traits. In some regards if say like nausicaans and letheans had any more traits than what you currently get with them they would be absolutely too OP. Probally some more but thats the only 2 I can think of off hand that are really beneficial with what you can do with them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Moloch View Post
That's funny. I only have four selectable traits I got when I created the character. How do you have a giant list of Passives you selected?
Press the 'U" button to look at your captain, ship, and bridge officers. Click on your captain. Choose "Status." On the left side, you will see a tab that says "Passives" or something like that. There, you see the 4 you initially pick (sometimes broken into racial and selected traits) and a metric-crap-ton of the other passive traits you pick up as you level through accolades and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Moloch View Post
Accolades. You get them from Kill and Damage (received and dealt) accolades that give passive damage bonuses against certain NPCs as well as damage resistance against certain energy types.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Accolades. You get them from Kill and Damage (received and dealt) accolades that give passive damage bonuses against certain NPCs as well as damage resistance against certain energy types.
And it seems either misunderstanding the original post or deliberaly missing the point. Obviously it's about the Character Traits you can select at character creation.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I'd have to agree with the OP, the Traits you select at creation ARE pretty weak and don't really do any thing by end game. Maybe they should look at it scaling with level or even making it more like champions is set up. That way we can put passives in that level with us, as well as spec into trees based on those passives. It would kind of seem like a TOR rip off, but it's not like we haven't seen the sto team do that yet. As it stands, i have all of my passive geared for doing damage, yet it doesn't really seem to affect my damage at all. I still seem too squishy at end game. Do they all stack or is it diminishing returns like consoles? Over all though they should revamp the trait system and add more to it with end game in mind. This would also be a great way to introduce the c-store retrait that people have been asking for.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
It all depends on what you are trying to do with them. On a ciatian engineer pounce works really well with the enemy neutralization kit. Even though pounce is lunge but re-named. When you pounce some one they are knocked flat on their back the exact same distance that the mine barrier beams in at.

Also ground traits can have a bigger impact on ground combat then space traits do for space.

On ground though this is where Alien shines. For ground if you choose aggressive, creative, Peak health and soldier then they will stack/combine for +10% all damage with another 5% energy damage on top of that damage, +15% max hp, +10% crit sev, +10 toxic resist and +5% threat gen.

If you choose cold blooded you get a plasma resistance that can help you fight the borg.

It really all depends on what you want to d.o
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
And it seems either misunderstanding the original post or deliberaly missing the point. Obviously it's about the Character Traits you can select at character creation.
He asked why others have long lists of passives in their status page so I told him, they clearly weren't selected but that's how the person who said they have lots more than four got their's from.