Lt. Commander
Quote:
Literary Challenge #20 : Saying Goodbye
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #20 : Saying Goodbye.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
That was one heck of a start, Snapshot_9, and a hard act to follow.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Feedback
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, good or bad. I just ask that it's said in an intelligent manner. For example if you liked it, just give me at least one reason you liked it and if you didn't like it, don't just send me a "You suck" message.

Snapshot_9 I liked your take on it. You just dove right in to the speech you would give. The only thing I would have liked to see at the end is a personal log entry giving your true feelings about leaving your ship. Other than that, nice work.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Feedback
05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Snapshot_9, well written speech, but it had no personality, felt like a cookie cutter speech.

Captain Conrad, very well put together. But it felt like you got off topic when you talked about the Delta Quadrant. Or rather I should say, the Delta Quadrant became the entire subject after you gave your preamble. The crew ended up feeling like the fluff to fill in the experience that you had there. Your crew was left faceless for the most part. Just another hard working crew, no spunk or real personality.

That's just my two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 5 STO Online Novel
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #20 : Saying Goodbye.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing!
Bran,

Does Cryptic hold license over doing anything STO related, even STO novels? D&D Online did a novel "The Shard Axe". It is available at Amazon. Any sales are hard to determine because its #600,000 on paperback sales and #100,000 on Kindle sales. There must have been genuine interest because another D&D Online novel "Skein of Shadows" is due to release on July 3rd for the Kindle at least.

I was wondering if this Literary Challenge would go towards finding authors for STO novels or perhaps a collections book of short stories by mutliple authors. Print-On-Demand could be used to sell paperbacks as well as digital download. The C-Store could sell the PODs or direct people to the digital download on Amazon/B&N/Apple.

Alternatively if someone is good with an ink pen then there's the possibility of an STO comic sold through the same channels.

Short .pdf STO comics may be a fun way to introduce people to new products such as a new ship in the C-Store or to new season material such as an 8 page comic on a fleet starbase being constructed/sabatouged/etc.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Response
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauck9006
Snapshot_9, well written speech, but it had no personality, felt like a cookie cutter speech.

Captain Conrad, very well put together. But it felt like you got off topic when you talked about the Delta Quadrant. Or rather I should say, the Delta Quadrant became the entire subject after you gave your preamble. The crew ended up feeling like the fluff to fill in the experience that you had there. Your crew was left faceless for the most part. Just another hard working crew, no spunk or real personality.

That's just my two cents.
I realized bout half way through that I had gotten a little off track and it was getting a bit more lengthy than I wanted. I did want to characterize the crew a little more, but that would take more than just one log entry. The setting for this is the day before Captain Conrad has to announce to his crew that the ship is being put down, so to speak. (Before you start the Mary Sue comment, I would like to clarify that Conrad is a Star Trek character I created LONG before this game came around. I'm hoping to tell his story when the Foundry get's its massive update). Basically he's in his quarters sipping on some Jack and has just received the order from Starfleet Command that Thaddeus Parker's voyage is over. He's not prepared to make a full on speech so he's doing this log entry to get his thoughts out on what to say, hence why he thinks about the ship's darkest hour in the Delta Quadrant and finally concludes in that last line that he needs to focus more on the good times. The entry above mine is what it would probably end up being, also why I didn't write it that way. What I was mostly aiming for was the Captain's overall feelings and where his mind was at after just receiving the decommissioning order.

I hope that helps to clarify things. I am thinking of extending it so keep an eye out. Thanks again for the honest feedback
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Hello I'd like some feedback thanks
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Personally i think it's sad that So many of us ask for feed back and impressions on what we write but no one ever really gives it, so it was good to see some happen even if it were just some one else adding their two cents. As for me, i try not to read these until i've finished my story so i don't have any of the good ones influence me. Once i get mine out there i'll have to go back and read these and give my opinion on them as well. Hopefully others will do the same on my entry.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I've got an entry completed and posted. Give it a read and feel free to leave feedback. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
I've got an entry completed and posted. Give it a read and feel free to leave feedback. Thanks.
Looks like a pretty good story there, Soriedem.

It also looks like the character you portrayed for the story changes ships on a regular basis--and his particular job requires changing ships on a regular basis.

Rather interesting.

I'll see if I can come up with anything for this challenge. It seems like it might be fun.