Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
So, I got back from spring break to a mess of issues, along with all the awesome news for STO.

One of which is that my PC won't load past the POST screen anymore. Can't even access the BIOS.

I'm having repair folks look at it and what can be salvaged.

It's less than three years old. 8GB Ram, solid state drive, over 3ghz quad core processor, nice graphics card, large copper fan. Nicest computer I ever had. Nobody seems optimistic that it can be salvaged for anything but parts. Not sure what I can even afford to replace it with as a poor student.

*sigh*

That wasn't really the worst news I came back to either.

Anyway, I'm following the game but, ouch, it stings that I may not be able to test or play all this wonderful new content.
Captain
# 2
03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
i know this is the section for "information and discussion" but if your computer works or not is hardly interesting at all for anybody...and if it actually is, then this is the wrong forum section.

Further...there is no new content, it is still 2 month away.

probably the motherboard...and those aren't expensive on their own. It seems you have a functioning computer, so do some websearch for the problem. Most likely you will find a solution on the web.
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm having similar problems with my computer. I feel you pain stoleviathan99
Captain
# 4
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I know how you feel. STO stopped working on my old computer the day S7 launched (coincidence...?). I didn't get this one until Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
The Great Risian Witch Hunt - a random five minute foundry mission!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Career Officer
# 5
03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
i know this is the section for "information and discussion" but if your computer works or not is hardly interesting at all for anybody...and if it actually is, then this is the wrong forum section.

Further...there is no new content, it is still 2 month away.

probably the motherboard...and those aren't expensive on their own. It seems you have a functioning computer, so do some websearch for the problem. Most likely you will find a solution on the web.
Well, this is the forum for community discussion. I generally take that to mean this is the social board. That seems to be how many use it.

If that's not why this is here, there ought to be one.

Although my impression is that is what 10F is for, the place for message board games, off topic subjects, social topics, etc.
Career Officer
# 6
03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captwinters1701 View Post
I'm having similar problems with my computer. I feel you pain stoleviathan99
Can't boot or access the BIOS?

Hm. Wondering if that's a running issue. I have heard of updates to drivers and such that allegedly break motherboards although I've never seen one.
Career Officer
# 7
03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Can't you just swap out the motherboard?

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
If he can get the exact same motherboard yea. If not, then he'll have to run a repair on the OS for drivers and such, or just re-install.

A small part of me makes me want to say that maybe, just maybe, that its the power supply though
Captain
# 9
03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
If you can see the post that's actually a good sign, that you can't get into the bios, no so good.
Might just be the power supply, I hope it is, I've been an Electronics Technician for 30 plus years and what you're describing sure does sound like power supply, get a bad cap or thermal defective driver and the supply dies just as everything is powering up. It's best though to get an estimate rather than wasting money on a new PS and finding that isn't the problem.

Last edited by maxvitor; 03-25-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Captain
# 10
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
So, I got back from spring break to a mess of issues, along with all the awesome news for STO.

One of which is that my PC won't load past the POST screen anymore. Can't even access the BIOS.

I'm having repair folks look at it and what can be salvaged.

It's less than three years old. 8GB Ram, solid state drive, over 3ghz quad core processor, nice graphics card, large copper fan. Nicest computer I ever had. Nobody seems optimistic that it can be salvaged for anything but parts. Not sure what I can even afford to replace it with as a poor student.

*sigh*

That wasn't really the worst news I came back to either.

Anyway, I'm following the game but, ouch, it stings that I may not be able to test or play all this wonderful new content.
I hope nothing too serious :-\ Stay strong