Lt. Commander
I am a science captain, level 35 - 40, since playing I have generally played in advanced or elite mode, which is alot of fun and I do alright is most fights. Switching to basic makes ground super boring and space fairly boring as well. The only problem I have is when I have to face a boss ship in space, I practically get one-hitted. At first is was the Heavy Torpedoes, but I have found ways to counter them (most of the time), but still they tend to really lay the hammer down on my ship, even when I leave the system, switch to basic and come back, I still get beaten down alot and end up wiping several times. Generally the only reason I win is because I knock off 10% of their hull, die, respawn, take another 10%, so on and so forth. I have tried all three types of ships and still have the same problem on each of them. So my question is, do any of you have some advice or pointers on how to take on bosses?

Just to reiterate, these are not group missions or anything, just solo missions.

Thanks in advance.

On a side note: Its kind of funny, when I first started playing this a long time ago, space was super easy for me and ground is what I always had trouble with. Now its the exact opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin View Post
So my question is, do any of you have some advice or pointers on how to take on bosses?
I'm sure someone will come by with their minmax glory build that they've never died with, ever. But since there's no penalty for death in the game, think of the respawn timer as a moment to have a stretch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
I'm sure someone will come by with their minmax glory build that they've never died with, ever. But since there's no penalty for death in the game, think of the respawn timer as a moment to have a stretch.
Eh, that is starting to not work. 1) They reset and I have to start all over. 2) Its getting where I'm not able to even do some of them on basic at all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
What specific enemy are you facing? Based on your level and the fact that you're getting killed so quickly, I'm going to guess Romulan Warbirds, which are probably the most deadly thing in the game that isn't Fek'ihri, and Federation don't face Fek'ihri outside of foundry missions.

The key is distance. Never fight a warbird close up. Outside of 5 km, you're safe from photonic shockwave and their tractor beam, both of which will stun you and leave you a sitting duck for their heavy torpedo salvo. Staying mobile by avoiding those two powers is key. As for the torpedoes themselves, they can be targeted and killed, another reason to stay at range. Evasive maneuvers can buy you extra room to deal with them, but most AOE abilities work very well for clearing them before they hit you. Photonic shockwave of your own, torpedo spread, fire at will, etc. If you're going to take one, brace for impact make sure it hits a shield and not your hull. To that end, tactical team is a powerful skill in general, as well - it redirects shield power much faster than can be done manually. Basically a hit to your front shields with tac team will do half its damage to your rear shields and a quarter to either side, very little net loss to the shield hit.

In general, always have your shields hardened (running two emergency power to shields ranks and alternating them as they cool down), and if you have a third engineering power on your ship, hardening your hull will also go a long way towards surviving a heavy torpedo hit.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
when you say boss do you mean battleships or things like the schimitar class and the undine dreadnought?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
What specific enemy are you facing? Based on your level and the fact that you're getting killed so quickly, I'm going to guess Romulan Warbirds, which are probably the most deadly thing in the game that isn't Fek'ihri, and Federation don't face Fek'ihri outside of foundry missions.

The key is distance. Never fight a warbird close up. Outside of 5 km, you're safe from photonic shockwave and their tractor beam, both of which will stun you and leave you a sitting duck for their heavy torpedo salvo. Staying mobile by avoiding those two powers is key. As for the torpedoes themselves, they can be targeted and killed, another reason to stay at range. Evasive maneuvers can buy you extra room to deal with them, but most AOE abilities work very well for clearing them before they hit you. Photonic shockwave of your own, torpedo spread, fire at will, etc. If you're going to take one, brace for impact make sure it hits a shield and not your hull. To that end, tactical team is a powerful skill in general, as well - it redirects shield power much faster than can be done manually. Basically a hit to your front shields with tac team will do half its damage to your rear shields and a quarter to either side, very little net loss to the shield hit.

In general, always have your shields hardened (running two emergency power to shields ranks and alternating them as they cool down), and if you have a third engineering power on your ship, hardening your hull will also go a long way towards surviving a heavy torpedo hit.
Although the torpedoes still pose a threat, I have been able to counter them. Never tried the Photonic Shockwave technique, but I shall when I am able. Also, never thought about using Brace For Impact with them either.

I had Beam at Will II and Tactical Team I, so I switched them so Tactical Team is set at II, hopefully that will help. I have two shield heals, and now three hull heals, though most of the time I go from mostly full shields and 90%+ hull to defeated before I can hit a heal. I am not actually sure what is killing me now with them, as its not the torpedoes anymore, something else is hitting me hard... unless there are invisible torpedoes.

Yes, currently I am fighting Romulans and Remans, though previously even Klingon bosses i'd have trouble with.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
when you say boss do you mean battleships or things like the schimitar class and the undine dreadnought?
Nothing like the Undine Dreadnought... So I think just battleships... generally they have names like IKS ________ or IRM(I think?)________. They are from doing missions from either the Klingon War or Romulan Mystery series, as that is all that I have done.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Only thing that can do that kind of damage is torpedoes. If your graphic settings are low, torpedo spread can be pretty hard to see, and a lot of bosses have that. It can hit just as hard as those more visible heavy torpedoes, and you can't shoot it down.

Stay with tac team 1. Higher ranks give a higher damage boost, but the damage boost borders on trivial, what you want is the shield redirect. Rank 1 is as good as 3 for that.

Heals aren't the only thing - look at resistances as well. That's where emergency power to shields is so good - it's a heal, regen, and harden all in one, and if you have two instances of it equipped, you can keep it up all the time. Boosting shield and hull resistance can be better than eating damage and healing afterwards, and you'll be hard pressed to hold up to a prolonged fight by heals alone.

Lastly, what kind of equipment loadout are you using? Shields interest me in particular. Regenerative shields are flimsy - they may as well not be there some times, especially if you take a big torpedo hit, because NPC torpedoes ****ing cheat. If you're using them, try switching to a covariant or resilient. It's easier to make up for poor regen than it is to make up for poor capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Only thing that can do that kind of damage is torpedoes. If your graphic settings are low, torpedo spread can be pretty hard to see, and a lot of bosses have that. It can hit just as hard as those more visible heavy torpedoes, and you can't shoot it down.

Stay with tac team 1. Higher ranks give a higher damage boost, but the damage boost borders on trivial, what you want is the shield redirect. Rank 1 is as good as 3 for that.

Heals aren't the only thing - look at resistances as well. That's where emergency power to shields is so good - it's a heal, regen, and harden all in one, and if you have two instances of it equipped, you can keep it up all the time. Boosting shield and hull resistance can be better than eating damage and healing afterwards, and you'll be hard pressed to hold up to a prolonged fight by heals alone.

Lastly, what kind of equipment loadout are you using? Shields interest me in particular. Regenerative shields are flimsy - they may as well not be there some times, especially if you take a big torpedo hit, because NPC torpedoes ****ing cheat. If you're using them, try switching to a covariant or resilient. It's easier to make up for poor regen than it is to make up for poor capacity.
Hmm, that could be what it is then, I didn't think of that.

Too late for Tactical Team I... Well I have Emergency Power to Shields I and II (now, thanks to your recommendations), Hazard Emitters, Auxillary to Hull, and Engineering Team. Tyken's Rift, Aceton (?) Beam, and Boarding Party III are my other skills. In a cruiser right now, so its Engineering Bridge Officers.

As far as gear goes, I have gotten some blue and purple quality from doing Duty Missions, and filled it in with what I have looted/quest rewards. I dont know off the top of my head what type of shields I am using, but I do know that its not the regenerative ones, I believe its the ones that have the most hitpoints, but lowest regen rate. Weapons: I have a missile launcher in the front and rear, one 360 degree turret, and 4 beam arrays (Phaser or Distruptor I think).
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
i'm gonna recommend reverse shield polarity (rather than boarding party, which i've always found feeble as a power), brace for impact (captin power not bo, cant remember when you get it) and a hot key linked to balance shields (a sort of mild panic button when you dont have time to notice which shield is down.

other than that engines at full throttle, reducing the accuracy of the blighters, and if you have to die ram them.

Edit on gear, dont mix beam and cannon/turret as buffs are exploited to a lesser rate, i.e. consoles with +20 energy weapons or +24 beam weapons, not accurate example (in general, there are some fairly epic dual cannon dual beam ambush BoPs out there) a torp launcher in the back is generaly wasted 75% of the time, get another beam bank and sure up your broad side, get at least 1 dual beam bank in the front.

then you can use your front to do some damage, show a flank to the enemy while you rebuild your front shield, deal more damage, show other side... you get the idea.