Lt. Commander
# 1 Why are you still here?
05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Before you have a conniption, this is another thread based on getting you to think. This is not a criticism of a person or group of people; this is merely me pointing something out.

Why are you still here? You, who so loathe this game and the devs behind it, why are you still posting to the forum?

I once bought a stove from Best Buy and was given a promised delivery date of a month later. That date came and went and I never got a call from them. I had to call them up to find out my stove had been back ordered and wouldn't come for another two weeks. I have yet to even flip through their newspaper flyer since.

When I am mad at a company, I refuse to do business with them. I won't even acknowledge their existence.

So why do you stick around when Cryptic has so upset you? What brings you back to this forum day after day even though you dismiss whatever a dev may say?

I genuinely want to know.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
So why do you stick around when Cryptic has so upset you? What brings you back to this forum day after day even though you dismiss whatever a dev may say?
1: The friends I have made in-game, even if I am unhappy with the game it's the banter that can make me smile.

2: Getting my monies worth from my LTS :p

I am really trying hard to think of something else but that about sums it up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm staying because of the Duty Officer system and because GW2 isn't out yet
I have a lifetime sub so I use doffing as a sort of mini-game really.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
1: The friends I have made in-game, even if I am unhappy with the game it's the banter that can make me smile.

2: Getting my monies worth from my LTS :p

I am really trying hard to think of something else but that about sums it up.
I'd say this... Yea... I am angry at Cryptic too (potentially PW... not sure at this point).

But I also still have hopes, that STO eventually will live up to it's potential... And I do so but trying to, in the long run, try to see some positives.

Also... A stove isn't designed to keep you entertained, and it certainly dosen't drop the STO version of Goodwins law in every bite of your dinner ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Simple; no acceptable substitute in the market.

I hate gas too. I hate the pumps, the prices, the companies, the politicians, the governments, and the nasty environmental repercussions.

I use it almost every day of my life.

No acceptable substitute.

In your stove illustration you (mercifully) have many other potential retailers you can visit.
STO is the only Star Trek MMO and probably will be the only Star Trek MMO for a long time, as sad as that is.

I stay because its better to hope, and fight, and try for the, admittedly futile, goal of reclaiming and turning this game around, rather than abandon ship and hope they're forced to blow it up and start over in ten years.

It should be noted that there is a line in my head, and if they cross it then I'll have reached the point where this argument doesn't matter anymore. I'll leave, and dedicate my immediate future to decreasing their subscriber base as much as physically possible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Before you have a conniption, this is another thread based on getting you to think. This is not a criticism of a person or group of people; this is merely me pointing something out.
Simple, this is a STAR TREK game, a bad one with a bad management but it is the last corner of Star Trek (I donít consider JJ movie Star Trek) beside the books.
Is like a football/soccer team, you can hate the players, the club president, but you still love the institution!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2012, 08:05 AM
....cause I'm a glutton for punishment...?

Lt. Commander
# 8
05-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Becuase I niether loathe the game or the Devs behind it. I just wish for STO to reach and exceed its potential.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
I hate the decisions that are being made that give the developers a pass on developing the game...

KDF not played enough and therefore not deemed as profitable? Developers get a pass on developing KDF-specific content towards making the KDF on par with UFP

FE taking too many resources to develop so we're re-evaluating the viability of FEs period? Developers get a pass on developing FE content.

Officially-created mission content to be replaced by Foundry-authored mission content? Developers get a pass on making mission content.

Cryptic has to be the only game developer I have ever known that looks for so many different reasons NOT to develop a game. SOMEBODY at the top needs to make decisions which push development into, I don't know, actually DEVELOPING?

We are two years into STO's live run. Any other developer would have had at least ONE expansion by now, and tons of additional PLAYABLE content. All we have seen is FLUFF and money grabs.

So why am I still here? Because I still see the potential this game has, and will continue to have even to the very instant before they pull the plug. The only thing standing in the way of the game reaching for and possibly even achieving that potential is the decisions that are being made. Get rid of the people making stupid decisions that put the devs in a straightjacket, and maybe something will get done, and maybe STO can become profitable due to other things besides lockboxes.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Why are you still here?
(snip)

I genuinely want to know.
I like the fonts .
Plus (unlike Cartman) I have yet to find a way to freeze myself for a year or two to see if this game has become something worth investing in again ... , or if it will forever exist in a perpetual state of "great things are just around the corner" type of Never-Never Land .

Plus from time to time I get to meet ppl who are smarter then me (or more well rounded in certain topics) and that's always fun .
(ok , most of the time it's fun :p)