Lt. Commander
# 21
05-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
What else am I thinking? I've never had my mind read by some guy on the internet before.
Ahh, I see.

Yep, nice try...
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Mainly I stay because I have a LTS and if i wasnt playing STO id just be watching "face of the enemy" for the bazillianth time
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-30-2012, 09:09 AM
because i enjoy playing the game. its fun, its a little fix of star trek, ship combat is right up my street, i love the foundry and making missions in a universe i love. also a total ship geek so i like to collect them.

i get bored every now and then as anyone would but there is usually enough to keep me coming back.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
You know its just still fun to me. The things I donít like is still less than the things I like. Wanna know whatís funny?? I have one real toon since beta. Just 1! Plus I okay almost daily! I finally made me a Klin about 2 months ago. Played a few hours then went back to my one fed toon. Maybe its different for me. I take my time and sip the drink. I donít guzzle. Iím not a gamer. Iím a 35yr trek fan. I spent 3 months alone just messing around socially. I spent a weeks trying to climb mountains in Andor. I have never done the Defari missions to completion. I have not done the vault missions. I have been going duty officer crazy for a while now. Spending time traveling between sectors just to get missions. Also doing STF's just for fun since I have got the gear already. Iím starting to get a little bored with them...So Looking at doing defari invasion for a few months and maybe try that neat mining thing. Long run I really want to start over with a Science. Prefer to promote a crew member to captain to start it.

Donít get me wrong its not all good! But its just still fun "for me"
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
/stuff.
Okay, I'll bite.

I am here for the forums. That's it. I enjoy the debates, arguments, entertaining posts, criticisms, speculation, thoughtful posts, constructive and non constructive posts (guess which one this falls into).

But ultimately I am here to see if I am going to be proved wrong and that STO becomes a game that not just the STO community enjoys, but the wider outside media, forums and facebook etc, looks and says, STO is a game worth playing now, and I finally play and enjoy.

The way things are going, well, lets say season 6 isn't going to be the saviour or STO.

Still guess I won't be able to buy my "Herbert" emote... Bet I would use it a ton of times ingame
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I've invested too much into this game already and frankly have nothing better to do with my time at the moment. MMO's have always been a bit of a fight between what the player base wants and what the developers are willing to give. STO is no different in that respect. However, since PWE, the player base has seemed to have less of a meaningful voice in the MMO. That alone gives us cause to simply be a bit louder than usual. The squeaky wheel gets the grease son.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
romulan ale and to get my optimism shattered
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I donít hate this MMO nor do I hate any of its developers; however, I do dislike the rate that STO is being developed and the direction itís currently being developed in.

I donít think many of the other members posting here hates STO or Cryptic; I think they like me are just getting tired of waiting for STO to make that massive leap forward.

I stay because I want to be here to see the day that STO makes that massive leap forward.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Why are you still here? I genuinely want to know.
The dance emotes.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Actually, it fits perfectly.
Well, except for the Intellectual Property argument that I mentioned and you conveniently brushed aside.

Quote:
Actually, it fits perfectly. Most of the time, you can only buy certain models at certain stores. I don't want a Maytag stove, I want a particular Maytag stove.
Why are you continuing this flawed example?

Will the particular Maytag stove you want be celebrating its 25th anniversary, and be celebrated by an international community of dedicated fans that will pay for plane tickets to dress up like their favorite stove part?

The answer is no.

Please find an example that uses an Intellectual Property with a huge fan following.

For example there are still people playing SWG on emulated servers.

Thatís a fan following, thatís what happens when people love an IP so much they will play it without any real dedicated support or development.

Quote:
Actually, it fits perfectly. If you hate Cryptic's interpretation of Star Trek, then why stick around? There are other space adventure MMOs on the market. I know there are no other Star Trek games, but if you think Cryptic doesn't have a "true" Star Trek game, what difference does it make?
Itís already been covered, I think youíre smart enough to already understand it so you are trying your hardest to downplay just how much people actually love Star Trek.

The situation is also not binary.

EX: 3 game companies could make a Star Trek game with each one of them out doing the preceding in shades of being somewhat true, very true, and extremely true to the IP.

The feeling I get is that many people want this game to be truer than it is and has been up until this point, or at the very least not wantonly ignore the IP when implementing extremely obnoxious sales & marketing tactics.

EX: We know they need to make money, but do I really need to delete 40-80 mystery and/or lockboxes from my inventory per night?

Do I really need to click ďPASSĒ for lockboxes on EliteSTFs every 30-45s?

Did they really need to have gamewide announcements, announcing the winners for a lotto-box with no disclosed odds?

Some things are brutally obnoxious and frustrating, but Star Trek fans are loyal to a fault.

You're also forgetting that a lot of people have already paid quite a lot to be here and it's not always easy to write off the money you've spent on services, goods or things like 2 years of a subscription or a lifetime account.