Lt. Commander
# 1 Alert Levels
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Is It Just Me Or Would It Make More Sense To Be Able To Choose What Alert Status Your Ship Is At? Me Personally I Would Love To Put My Crew On Yellow Alert Every Time We Enter A Potentially Dangerous Situation Or A Condition Blue When Approaching A Station For Docking. What Do You Guys Think?

Lieutenant Commander Abigail Christina Cooper
U.S.S. John Paul Jones
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Essentially turning all cloaking devices into battle cloaks?

The ships are already flying around at Red Alert (Shields up, Weapons on) so being able to switch from Red to Yellow (Shields up, Weapons off) at will make little sense. As the game just doesn't run the proper alert levels, essentially you have Red Alert and full combat. The game does slow you down to thrusters near a Dock already, but your still in Red Alert there.

So yeah they simplified things for the game, it's an MMO not a starship simulator. And I doubt we'll see another Trek Sim again, let alone anytime soon.

On a side note, making every word capitalised makes what you say harder to read.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I concur with DKnight1000 on all points. Especially the annoying capitalization of each word.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
I'd be more than content with the ability to either turn red alert off sooner OR cut the time that it is active.

I don't need to be at red alert for so long after all of the enemies are destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Well technically you SHOULD be able to cloak at any time seeing how that's how it was in the show. Battle cloak was more of the movies where they could still fire with out losing it. I'd much prefer that as a fed than just being able to change the alert status. The only reason i would even bother with it is if it DID let me deactivate red alert as it tends to be very annoying and last too long. Although admittedly if they added some kind of bonus for each type of alert, than i could see it just being a nice and fun touch for the RP crowds.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I suppose if you want to RP this, you can sort of do it with the power settings. So for instance, flying around under normal conditions, have your power levels set either to balanced, or engines. If you want to go to Yellow Alert (you're entering a mission area with potential hostiles), set it to Shields. When combat begins, and you want to go to Red Alert, switch it to Weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2012, 05:37 AM
When you're flying around normally, that's practically yellow alert anyway isn't it? It means when you go to red alert (When starting combat) it isn't something you can control yourself, but then, if you di,it would mean taking precious time from fighting to click a "red alert" button.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman56
When you're flying around normally, that's practically yellow alert anyway isn't it? It means when you go to red alert (When starting combat) it isn't something you can control yourself, but then, if you di,it would mean taking precious time from fighting to click a "red alert" button.
No, your flying around at Red Alert, Red Alert does not mean in combat but prepared for it, weapons are powered and Shields are up.

Yellow Alert is Shields up no power to weapons.

Green Alert which I've never seen mentioned in the TV shows would be standing down from Yellow. So *no* combat shields or weapons power.

As I said earlier the nature of the game is we are always at Red Alert or in Sector space when we are in our ships.

Edit: left out the word no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Technically in canon, you fly around in green status, sheilds and weapons powered down.

This is presumably because the power is needed to sustain warp, but could also be that there are maintenance issues in keeping them powered up 24/7.