Lt. Commander
# 1 Lockbox value
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
i was originally going to post this as a reply in the "why lockboxes" thread, but I realized that only the statement "Most of the items in the OP really don't belong in the C-Store for various reasons (STF gear is a reward for doing STF's, Aegis is crafted, etc)." was really a reply, so:

That said, the biggest problem with the boxes is not that they exist, nor is it the stupidly high drop rate on the (un)common boxes (every other frikkin mine/torpedo drops one, half the ground troops drop one, but otherwise only got common drops from everything).

The problem really is that not only is most of the stuff in the boxes worthless (how many people are actually using the Dual system consumable or Shields and Deflector boxes?), but it doesn't feel like you get any value for your money (unless you're one of the compulsive people with plenty of money to buy 150 keys and are feeding your chance monkey).

Would I spend $1.25 for that dual systems consumable box? Absolutely not. To be fair, the Cardassian box was much better in that many of the items were C-Store items and you could see that the DS-9 uniform or Sehlat cub was worth X, but a chance box filled mostly with chance boxes is not only odd, but makes me feel less like spending money on keys. If the items in the boxes (with the exception of the ship) were all c-store items, I think you'd get a better reaction from people.

Other feedback in this vein:
I've played several other MMOs with some kind of chance item and they tend to be very successful at selling their chance items, but they don't shove them down your throat the way the apparent spam of green boxes does. They have a month-long advertisement of what the ticket/box contains and you buy the ticket/box from their cash shop. I have literally thrown away thousands of (un)common boxes because they are so common. If this is the mechanic you want to keep, PLEASE lower the drop rate on the uncommon boxes because they seem more common than most common loot.

We have been told that the boxes are in addition to whatever loot would normally drop. While I do see boxes in addition to regular loot from a single kill, I can also run through 5 episodes (I did last night) and the only uncommon or better items that drop at all are the (un)common boxes?!? If they are uncommon, I shouldn't have two stacks of them after that; I didn't end up with a single stack of batteries or food if you combined all types and they are common. Again, uncommon drops should be less common than common drops and it can feel like they are eating our chances at normal uncommon drops.

The percentages are really less of an issue than most people of the vocal complaints want to make of them. Nobody complains that in "Uncharted Waters" the nice ships in the tickets are listed as "low probability," we all expect that they should be. Players might occasionally complain about the person who bragged that he spent $600 on tickets to get his ship, but it's not the ticket itself that is the problem. In their case, the nice ships are sometimes overpowered and so people see the $600 ticket buyer as paying to win.

Well, there's a (hopefully0 constructive look at
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Honestly, your argument makes sense. The only issue is you forgot Perfect World as taken over Star Trek Online. Cryptic actually cared about the player, Perfect World on the other hand only cares about its bottom line. Perfect World does not care about us or the game so they will never bother to listen to what the players think. According to a friend of mine that has dealt with Perfect World and watched them take over games went as far as to say that Perfect World destroys everything it touches. After watching what they have done to Star Trek online, that may be right. They may have taken away pay to play but they are just releasing stuff like the boxes which in the end probably makes more money anyway. I could almost understand and agree with them if it weren't for the fact that players are getting spammed with boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerman001 View Post
I could almost understand and agree with them if it weren't for the fact that players are getting spammed with boxes.
So you don't have a problem with the lack of content but you want boxes (the thing that keeps the servers still running) removed...
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtct View Post
So you don't have a problem with the lack of content but you want boxes (the thing that keeps the servers still running) removed...
What? No, in short the boxes need to be improved with better items or at least adjust the odds of what gets dropped and not spammed in our faces. I understand that servers cost money. I just don't think spamming boxes the way they are doing it is the right way to go. Actually, if they gave more keys for the same price and left how often boxes drop the same, it would be considerably better.