Lt. Commander
# 1 Canon/Not canon Crying
05-29-2012, 10:30 PM
*Cries* It's not Fair its not Canon... Doesn't matter how X amount of years in the future STO takes place.. if it wasnt in the past... It can never have of been created/discovered in the future... Waaah... We don't want new stuff.. we want antiques... Everything has to be OLD star Trek... Guess what.. we are in the future... I expect there would be a few new things made or discovered... A few new races met.. additions made, ships and technology discovered... Space is Effin Huge man... What Other races CAN'T create there own ships? They have to be by EARTH's... The HUMANS standards? Guess what kiddies.. The Future changes... I am pretty sure.. those races were discovered with ships that had there own distinctiveness. I am pretty sure Things were discovered in the future that were NOT from past shows. That is the great thing about SCIENCE FICTION.. Even the Star Trek series.. It is space.. It is limitless.. I am sure the Federation did not Decree... if it is not Human in Design.. it can not be created by your race once you join. Let them throw whatever C-store Items/ships/races up they want.. FFS at least were getting some Content.. it is better then NO CONTENT..

On another note.. As a player who has characters on both sides.... Make Something for the Friggin KDF side... Ships... Costumes... Something... Again.. I am pretty sure when The Fereseans were met.. They were NOT in KDF uniforms... You advertise ALIEN races.. not yet Discovered by the KDF or Federation.. Well... What the F*** Why the hell Can't I create some snazzy new uniform for them...

As for a statement about Shipyards or retrofitting ships or starbases Whatever... being over 10 million so silvers can't get it... Hey.. They can... Grind dil... Buy the Cpoints people Sell. Increase your Energy cap ... and earn some EC... Silvers have Access to ALMOST Everything in the game everyone else does... They just have to work a little harder for it.. Onlything they dont have access to (YET *sigh* cause... its gonna happen.. you do know it will) is the Liberated Borg Race... (who Suprisingly.. only assimilates Humans and Klingons... )

I know alot of you were ****ed about promises made and requests that have yet to come out over 2 years now.. But.. With PWE in Control.. and how they have been with other games... You are getting a Decent amount more then there releases they actually put time and Effort into... Hell They have yet to add ANY of Cryptics games to the CORE store... or its award systems.. or the CORE shop... and who knows if they will. Hell.. Lets just pray Cryptic doesn't fade into darkness with its Development team for its other games.. or whatver they had plans to release in the future...

Flame away.....
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I... don't... think.... I've... seen... so... many... Elipses.... before... in... a... topic... post... before... Congrats... on... mimicing... William... Shatner... so... perfectly...
Lt. Commander
# 3 Canon
05-30-2012, 05:55 AM
This game is in not canon no matter what CBS/Cryptic wants you to think. There is more the one NPC in game that has only been seen in the novels. Only Live action moives and TV show count. The rules were set up by Gene Roddenberry himself and CBS has not updated sence he died.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
What's bringing on this rant? Could it be the recent bunch of "where's our T5 Connie" threads?

Consider this first: Of the 6 Series/Eras (Chronologically: Ent, ToS, TMP, TNG, DS9, Voy), all the "main" uniforms and many "minor" uniforms (DS9 Admiral, open-shirt, Ent or ToS Mirror, special female (Troi, 7 of 9, T'Pol)) are wearable. The Excelsior (TMP) and the "stars" of the various TNG-era TV series (Galaxy/Intrepid/Defiant) are available as Tier 5 starships, along with "minor" TNG-era ones (Sao Paulo which became the new Defiant, Prometheus timeship as MVAE to name a couple). There are TNG-era and a ToS era bridge. There are full sets ("box" / pistol / rifle variants) of ToS and TNG-era (TNG/DS9/Voy) personal phasers, and a "special ToS blue beam array". A fan of any TNG-era show can build a "full canon look" for their character, from ship flown to outfit to weapon carried when they unholster it...

Except for ToS and Ent - mainly because their "star" / iconic starships aren't available in tier 5... Hence the plethora of "where's the connie in tier 5" threads... For completeness I'll mention the lack of an ENT and "True TMP" (looks like the 80's rebuilds of the Connie's) bridge...

Or is it the "lack" of KDF content? - Content that has been talked about as "being designed" for over two years - which makes people wonder, was this content actually being developed, or was it all a massive snowjob... We know it doesn't take "forever" to create a handful of missions (they wanted to do 10x 5-mission Feature Episodes/year, heck, they somehow managed to "average" 10x missions for 2x FE/year), and while they might trickle out less frequently than Fed ships, they still have new ships show up in the Klink's C-store... What keeps hanging up these "stories" that would allow the Klinks "storyline content" to stretch from 1-50?

Now, on the next part of what I'm "perceiving" as a rant - you realize the KDF, Vulcan D'Kyr, and now the Caitian Atrox, are "non-human" ships. Supposedly there's an Andorian ship just waiting for the right release date, and who knows what else from "racial" fleets. IIRC, Oddessy / Bor'tesqu are "new" (as in designed purely for STO). So we are getting "new" (as in never were canon) ships.

There's a "villain" in the Tholians that haven't been explored (but hint-dropped), along with follow-ups on Romulan/Reman, KDF war, Cardassian struggles, Iconians, Romulan/Borg, etc. that need tying up before a "whole new villain" (which coulld be the "lore inspired" Children of Kahn) shows up.

Look, with all this "existing" content to draw from (and still integrate), why do we need "completely non-Trek" content added?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Couldn't even care about a T-5 Con. I am just tired of reading all the crying when new stuff comes out. I know this games got a Crap load of loose ends on it. Hell I highly doubt it will ever get ended. I am just saying I really think with how large the Trek universe is, with how huge space is, and all its races. That the ability for Non Faction ships has a very strong possibility of existing. I am grateful for any content being released on this damn game. It is STILL a very young game compared to others. Sure I think CRYPTIC (are ya listening devs) should of aimed for a higher bar considering what else is out there for competition, Atari should of pushed to have a more polished and more complete game before they pushed it out to the population. If they actually Push to be more competitive with the small Sci-FI MMO base out there, they can command a market lead. Look at how Eve has went from its initial release to now. But I believe that The Developer should have of created a Similiar Engine to the other popular space game. I am not saying clone it, But it did set a high bar to compete against, and many people Often throw STO and EVE together when comparing, mainly because if is the main Titles out there for Sci-Fi. But again, My whole point rather badly written at the time of writing, yes was ranted out. My writings typically are *sigh* But it's still the point that The Federation would be rolling out whatever ships they can get there hands on while during a war against all its ongoing conflicts it gets itself into. Whether in the movies, or the shows, or developed in house for the game. Peoples minds have got to open up to beyond the factor of "If it was not seen on a screen, it did not exist" mindset. I would hate to think that the Federation would limit itself to just what it's inhouse engineers could create. After all if it was not for there adoption and integration of technologies from across all the races it encounters and signs into its charters then where would they be?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Canon was changed by Gene himself so many times simply because he didn't like something or changed his mind in a different episode that it's all one big grey area now. He stated he didn't like the movies but never which ones or what parts. He even went as far as saying that parts of TOS itself were no longer canon once TNG was made.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
This game is in not canon no matter what CBS/Cryptic wants you to think. There is more the one NPC in game that has only been seen in the novels. Only Live action moives and TV show count. The rules were set up by Gene Roddenberry himself and CBS has not updated sence he died.
Of course the game is not canon. No events in this game that are unique to this game are likely to be referenced by any future series or movie.

But that doesn't mean the game isn't 'canon friendly' or that it couldn't be treated as canon if CBS wished to for some strange reason.

"The rules" are not so etched in stone since content from the animated series is referenced in later live series, despite Gene's insistence that it isn't canon (which almost certainly had more to do with rights negotiations at the time than with any actual 'purity' concerns).

Canon is as often as not a matter of trying to keep the universe simple rather than 'pure.' Writers don't want to have to know all the books as well as all the series, and Enterprise proved that writers are willing to ignore any established canon that gets in their way. (I am sure there are examples from other series too, not to mention the movies, but Enterprise is a more obvious example).
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Crying about other people crying = LOL
Lt. Commander
# 9 Canon
05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
The last update was the Gene Roddenberry TNG contract. No offical update has been relased sence then.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
:looks at the Sam Walton qoute:: I miss mr Walton, As an X employee of that company it sure has gone to hell and I am sure he is rolling in his grave.... anyway..