Lt. Commander
# 11
05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, there needs to be a difference between exclusive stuff for Gold and LTS and this stuff. I don't mind the fluff items but the following should be 100% off the table for this idea:
  • Veteran Rewards (we put up with it, we earned it)
  • Liberated Borg, Lifetime Combadge, and Career Officer (very very little distinction for Lifers exists)
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
Absolutely. Veteran Rewards should be just that.

Quote:
  • Liberated Borg, Lifetime Combadge, and Career Officer (very very little distinction for Lifers exists)
I could see letting Liberated Borg go, but for a very large chunk of points.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevn
Absolutely. Veteran Rewards should be just that.
100% Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevn
I could see letting Liberated Borg go, but for a very large chunk of points.
100% disagreed. The only thing lifetimers would have is a special forum title and a combadge.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Yeah, there needs to be a difference between exclusive stuff for Gold and LTS and this stuff. I don't mind the fluff items but the following should be 100% off the table for this idea:
See, what I'm thinking is...

These items ALL have a dollar value. Even the LTS has, what? A $300 value?

And these ways of earning the points all have a value Cryptic could determine and assign.

If someone does $300 worth of marketing work for Cryptic, let 'em earn a lifetime sub. And assuming lockbox ships cost an average of $200 to obtain (just a guess) then let someone who does $200 worth of marketing work for Cryptic have a lockbox ship.

And to limit the overhead for Cryptic, they could take a cue from programs like the NBC/Universal/USA Network's fan rewards. I earned a few seasons DVDs of the TV Psych for free through there by playing social games. What NBC/Universal program does that's really smart is that they stock the store.

Here's how it works:

- There are unlimited inventory promotional pencils and rubber bracelets in their store. You're guaranteed to be able to spend points on these. These have a functionally unlimited budget.

- Things like TV Season Boxed Set DVDs, signed scripts, and trips to the set of TV shows are limited quantity items, replenished each month. There are a limited number up for grabs, set aside in a marketing budget. Of course, if nobody has the points, the rewards get rolled over to the next month as options in the store.

Here's how I'd adapt that:

- Make repeatable character services like renames, respecs, respecies, DOff packs, master keys, etc. unlimited supply items in the loyalty shop. If you have loyalty points, you can buy these. These are things a player might conceivably want an unlimited number of.

- Make things like an account upgrade to Lifetime Gold Status, large lobi bundles, and lockbox ships into limited supply items that get cycled through the store. There's a limit on how many and how much gets added every month. Say, $1000 worth of goodies a month. Anybody spending loyalty points on them will have performed services equivalent to the value of these packages and there's a limit to how much Cryptic is on the hook for each month. If you have the points and everything sells out, you wait until more rewards get added to the "limited supply" section.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
100% disagreed. The only thing lifetimers would have is a special forum title and a combadge.
Not for $300 worth of work?

I'd be perfectly fine with somebody doing $300 worth of marketing work for Cryptic and being given a full lifetime sub.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
See, what I'm thinking is...

These items ALL have a dollar value. Even the LTS has, what? A $300 value?

And these ways of earning the points all have a value Cryptic could determine and assign.

If someone does $300 worth of marketing work for Cryptic, let 'em earn a lifetime sub. And assuming lockbox ships cost an average of $200 to obtain (just a guess) then let someone who does $200 worth of marketing work for Cryptic have a lockbox ship.

And to limit the overhead for Cryptic, they could take a cue from programs like the NBC/Universal/USA Network's fan rewards. I earned a few seasons DVDs of the TV Psych for free through there by playing social games. What NBC/Universal program does that's really smart is that they stock the store.

Here's how it works:

- There are unlimited inventory promotional pencils and rubber bracelets in their store. You're guaranteed to be able to spend points on these. These have a functionally unlimited budget.

- Things like TV Season Boxed Set DVDs, signed scripts, and trips to the set of TV shows are limited quantity items, replenished each month. There are a limited number up for grabs, set aside in a marketing budget. Of course, if nobody has the points, the rewards get rolled over to the next month as options in the store.

Here's how I'd adapt that:

- Make repeatable character services like renames, respecs, respecies, DOff packs, master keys, etc. unlimited supply items in the loyalty shop. If you have loyalty points, you can buy these. These are things a player might conceivably want an unlimited number of.

- Make things like an account upgrade to Lifetime Gold Status, large lobi bundles, and lockbox ships into limited supply items that get cycled through the store. There's a limit on how many and how much gets added every month. Say, $1000 worth of goodies a month. Anybody spending loyalty points on them will have performed services equivalent to the value of these packages and there's a limit to how much Cryptic is on the hook for each month. If you have the points and everything sells out, you wait until more rewards get added to the "limited supply" section.
Some rewards programs have two options one where you can buyout the desired reward for a set price (already discusssed) while other rewards are auction based. For example some new loyalty captain species could be offered but only 4 a month, one each week. The highest bidder of loyalty points would win the super special prize each week. People who see that character running around know that individual has gone above and beyond for the game (who doesn't want that kind of recongnition). Having auction based prizes would probably encourage more activity because if no one is earning points a particular week then the bid for such a prize would remain low and more attainable thereby encouraging people to get involved in the program. The possibility of lower priced auction prizes would encourage people to participate who might otherwise think that high priced prizes are unattainable.

Summary: Prizes outright bought for XYZ points, other prizes at auction for YZ to WXYZ depending on popularilty and player bids.

*Doing Foundry Missions that get consistantly high reviews and repeat players should award points since players are doing the FE job for the devs, thereby saving the game costs.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Doesn't eve online have something that lets you trade in game money for sub time? I could have sworn I saw Cryptic say they were looking into allowing folks to trade Cstore points for Sub time.

I think 800 Cstore points for a month of gold (minus stipend) would come in handy for some folks. I also kinda wish you got lobi everytime you used the Cstore. Maybe 1 lobi for each 80 Cstore points spent.

I'd rather see a loyalty program then a referal program. Not everyone feelsl like hounding folks for referals.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
Doesn't eve online have something that lets you trade in game money for sub time? I could have sworn I saw Cryptic say they were looking into allowing folks to trade Cstore points for Sub time.

I think 800 Cstore points for a month of gold (minus stipend) would come in handy for some folks. I also kinda wish you got lobi everytime you used the Cstore. Maybe 1 lobi for each 80 Cstore points spent.

I'd rather see a loyalty program then a referal program. Not everyone feelsl like hounding folks for referals.
I don't disagree but I don't see why a Loyalty program and a Referral program have to be separate. It's extra time spent concocting and setting up rewards for each if they have both... and they miss out by only doing one. By having loyalty and referrals be two ways to participate in one system, it's win-win.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
I don't disagree but I don't see why a Loyalty program and a Referral program have to be separate. It's extra time spent concocting and setting up rewards for each if they have both... and they miss out by only doing one. By having loyalty and referrals be two ways to participate in one system, it's win-win.
I have no problem with both. Referal only I wouldn't like. And your talking to a guy who does have a account wide holo Doff & Tribble. It wasn't easy getting 1 person to sign up and stay. I don't want to have to repeat that feat.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Quote:
I was thinking about how to construct a referral system when it hit me:

The assets used for lockboxes probably spike up revenue but damage retention. The assets used for vet rewards assist in retention and LTS sales but do nothing to spike revenue. Lobi Crystals are designed to do a bit of both but don't do either effectively.

That's when it hit me:

In addition to current methods of acquiring these items, it would make sense to integrate lockbox prizes, vet rewards, and lobi into a comprehensive rewards program.

Like how you get points on a credit card, you would get points for:

Referring a friend who downloads the game.
Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
Poking a friend who hasn't logged in for 30 days and getting them to login.
Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
Paying a monthly gold subscription.
Buying a Lifetime Subscription.
Buying points in bulk.
Buying certain C-Store items and services during featured events. (This could target under-selling items.)
Maybe limited reward points for Tribble test weekends, Foundry authorship (get 20 5 star ratings!), and participating in community events.

People who don't login would periodically get an offer for Reward Points for coming back and spending at least $10.

Now, with your reward points (which would be a purely OUT OF GAME CURRENCY), you would have access to a Reward Store.

The Reward Store would contain:

All lockbox rewards, including ships
All vet rewards, through 1000 days
All prior referral rewards
All available pre-order items (as an alternative to C-Points)
Gametime options, including monthly Gold and LTS (No reward points if earned this way)
Lobi Crystal bundles
Respecs (as an alternative to C-Points)
Renames (as an alternative to C-Points)
Species Respec (when added, as an alternative to C-Points)
Duty Officer Packs (as an alternative to C-Points)
First Officer to Captain Promotion (when added)
Exclusive species unlocks

The whole system could be engineered so that Cryptic gets the same profit or better than they do with existing methods but this rewards reinvestment into the game. It leverages all of the assets that reward retention (but fail to create revenue spikes) and all of the assets, like lockboxes, that create revenue spikes but risk damaging retention.

Nothing in here would be less expensive than it is presently although the costs could be spread out among multiple users through referrals or absorbed by dipping into STO's marketing and community relations budgets as a more effective way of generating word of mouth referrals or winning people back who left.

So a Galor or D'Kora is still going to cost an average of $200 but that $200 is absorbed by PWE marketing expenses, through purchases that would be unlikely to be made otherwise, and through the player and their friends spending money they would ordinarily not spend on things they would ordinarily not buy.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...!!!

NOW I DEFINITELY CAN'T GET ANYTHING WORTH MY WHILE D:

Can't we get reward points for spending C-Points (ridicilous amounts if you have to, but...)?

Also, 20 5-star reviews is TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!! How many missions have some of the best authors churned out? 4? 5? 6????!!

Nagorak, one of the best authors I know of, only has 4 of them, half of which scare me to death with the false warp.

Edit: Oops, OP didn't state that they had to be for different missions. My bad.