Lt. Commander
I think all mission branches / FRONTS should be available to new players immediately after completing the tutorial.

As part of completing the tutorial, Admiral Quinn can ask the new player which front would they like to be assigned to first: Klingon, Romulan, or Cardassian. (Gamma Orionis [Borg and Undine] can be left as is for the Rear to Vice Admiral crowd.)

I say this for several reasons:

1.) It would give the players a false sense of openness. We would all play the same missions, but not necessarily in the same order.

2.) At this point missions have the ability to scale to the players appropriate level, so one doesn't have to worry about being pulversized by an over powered enemy, due to their level.

3.) Since one doesn't have to play through every mission to reach max level anymore, this would allow players to feel like they're unique. Since one can level up through the Doff system, exploration missions and player made content, you could conceivably not even play all the main storyline front missions.

In my opinion, it would feel like the game was allowing for a little more diversity between alts, even though in reality that is not the case.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
I think this is a magnificent idea, and I would personally love to see this implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
This would require a massive reworking of existing content that people have already played rather than development of brand new content. Why would it require a massive rework? Because certain NPC groups are designed with abilities that do not scale below a certain level. That is why certain Foundry missions require you to be X level to play them if they have Romulans/Hyrogen/Cardassians/Dominion/Borg/Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pt41nk4ng4r00
This would require a massive reworking of existing content that people have already played rather than development of brand new content. Why would it require a massive rework? Because certain NPC groups are designed with abilities that do not scale below a certain level. That is why certain Foundry missions require you to be X level to play them if they have Romulans/Hyrogen/Cardassians/Dominion/Borg/Undine.
How tested is that, though? Or are those just guesstimated levels?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
I dont remember the exact levels, but if you try to place one of the enemy groups I mentioned in a Foundry mission you get a message telling you the mission will not be available to anyone below X level.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
not sure how massive it would be, given the fact they now scale up, they could scale them down as well, it still would be a lot of work, but it is within the realm of possibility. Originally before they put the game on questing rails (hate that with a passion) you could do this to a point.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Most of the recent FE series were designed to scale to the character.... The Devidian story arc was originally available at Level 6, the others at level 10....

Now that being said.... there is also the issue of experience with the game mechanics.... I had a hell of a time getting a level 10 character through the Breen FE series (with all of those damm Breen tractor beams in use), and it is highly unlikely that someone new to the game would be able to complete the series, or enjoy the process of completing the series with a low ranked character... So requiring a player to have 'experience' by completing the previous episodes, and being of the proper minimum rank that's required is still a good idea...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
These are hard levels caps. They NPCs Abilities, health, DPS and everything is scaled to that level. If you ever use the foundry, as soon as you add an enemy NPC to the map, the mission is restricted to a minimum level.
This is kinda excepted, as borg and Undine are harder to kill then Orions and Klingons.

The Missions are also tooled in a way to introduce certain ideas, techniques, and technology to a new player. The Klingon mission introduces weapons fire, boff abilities, and how to accept missions.

Not to mention that there is a uniformed over arching storyline throughout the game. The Unidine infiltrators and such.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
it still would be a lot of work, but it is within the realm of possibility.
I didnt say it would be impossible. My point is it would require significant work, diverting resources away from creating new content to reworking content people have already played.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
I didnt say it would be impossible. My point is it would require significant work, diverting resources away from creating new content to reworking content people have already played.
well given what little content we've gotten, and the fact most PMC is now under review, its a moot point, PMC made by them, isn't going to happen that often now, and it appears, that we're going to have to rely on the foundry for it.