Lt. Commander
I was thinking about how to construct a referral system when it hit me:

The assets used for lockboxes probably spike up revenue but damage retention. The assets used for vet rewards assist in retention and LTS sales but do nothing to spike revenue. Lobi Crystals are designed to do a bit of both but don't do either effectively.

That's when it hit me:

In addition to current methods of acquiring these items, it would make sense to integrate lockbox prizes, vet rewards, and lobi into a comprehensive rewards program.

Like how you get points on a credit card, you would get points for:

Referring a friend who downloads the game.
Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
Poking a friend who hasn't logged in for 30 days and getting them to login.
Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
Paying a monthly gold subscription.
Buying a Lifetime Subscription.
Buying points in bulk.
Buying certain C-Store items and services during featured events. (This could target under-selling items.)
Maybe limited reward points for Tribble test weekends, Foundry authorship (get 20 5 star ratings!), and participating in community events.

People who don't login would periodically get an offer for Reward Points for coming back and spending at least $10.

Now, with your reward points (which would be a purely OUT OF GAME CURRENCY), you would have access to a Reward Store.

The Reward Store would contain:

All lockbox rewards, including ships
All vet rewards, through 1000 days
All prior referral rewards
All available pre-order items (as an alternative to C-Points)
Gametime options, including monthly Gold and LTS (No reward points if earned this way)
Lobi Crystal bundles
Respecs (as an alternative to C-Points)
Renames (as an alternative to C-Points)
Species Respec (when added, as an alternative to C-Points)
Duty Officer Packs (as an alternative to C-Points)
First Officer to Captain Promotion (when added)
Exclusive species unlocks

The whole system could be engineered so that Cryptic gets the same profit or better than they do with existing methods but this rewards reinvestment into the game. It leverages all of the assets that reward retention (but fail to create revenue spikes) and all of the assets, like lockboxes, that create revenue spikes but risk damaging retention.

Nothing in here would be less expensive than it is presently although the costs could be spread out among multiple users through referrals or absorbed by dipping into STO's marketing and community relations budgets as a more effective way of generating word of mouth referrals or winning people back who left.

So a Galor or D'Kora is still going to cost an average of $200 but that $200 is absorbed by PWE marketing expenses, through purchases that would be unlikely to be made otherwise, and through the player and their friends spending money they would ordinarily not spend on things they would ordinarily not buy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Ironic! This is actually something we've been brainstorming about Feel free to use this thread to submit your ideas and we'll take them into consideration (nice start, Leviathan99!). Also, we are working actively on revamping the referral program, too. Not sure when we'll be able to roll it out, but it should make a return soon(tm)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Ironic! This is actually something we've been brainstorming about Feel free to use this thread to submit your ideas and we'll take them into consideration (nice start, Leviathan99!). Also, we are working actively on revamping the referral program, too. Not sure when we'll be able to roll it out, but it should make a return soon(tm)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I very much like this idea. Are you currently keeping track of this sort of data? I already have the CE, lifetime, and have brought around 4000 C-Store points, am A 600 day vet, plus I was paying subs every month before December last year (before I got lifetime). I wouldn't want to miss out on 'reward points'
-Sins
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsofasolarempire
I very much like this idea. Are you currently keeping track of this sort of data? I already have the CE, lifetime, and have brought around 4000 C-Store points, am A 600 day vet, plus I was paying subs every month before December last year (before I got lifetime). I wouldn't want to miss out on 'reward points'
-Sins
Same here:
1 year of sub
lifetime
10,000+ cstore points (I love fluff)
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
It would be nice to get something for making Foundry missions that take over half an hour for a player to complete.

That's like 60 hours of work for me. It'd be nice to get a cookie ever so often, since you don't pay me for my work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I think Leviathan99 has outlined an outstanding proposal. Very well thought out, very detailed, very well organized, and a terrific job of outlining both the benefits to the players AND the benefits to Cryptic. Very professional.

I don't have much to add, although I expect a few things might need to be excluded (e.g. pre-order items that are still not free, possibly the lockbox ships depending on what CBS allows, etc.) but overall it's a fantastic scheme.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm definitely not a big fan of this.

Please don't remove one of the few benefits of being gold and make my LTS even more worthless.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
snip
people have suggested using city of heroes method for quite sometime now. However they also give you bonus points if you buy their version of c-store points, although at a limited amount of return.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I'm definitely not a big fan of this.

Please don't remove one of the few benefits of being gold and make my LTS even more worthless.
I'm sure he doesn't mean to eliminate the current methods of getting those things. It's just that since the 'assets' have already been built and are ready to go in-game, they could do more 'work' by being available as an incentive for other things that make money. So you could buy lockboxes and try to get a ship. Or you could sub for hundreds of days and get a mugato. But in addition, someone might refer friends and get them to support the game, but instead of spending time and money making new rewards, they'd leverage the existing rewards in new ways.

I think it'd be hard to come up with appropriate prices for some of the items. You'd have to factor in the lockbox odds, which are unpublished and can theoretically be changed. Not to mention figuring out what the appropriate 'price' of a veterans' award is. But certainly some existing assets could be included in a referral-type system without too much trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
I'm sure he doesn't mean to eliminate the current methods of getting those things. It's just that since the 'assets' have already been built and are ready to go in-game, they could do more 'work' by being available as an incentive for other things that make money.
And thus there would be one less reason to go gold and would further make my LTS a complete waste of money.

As soon as there is another way to earn it, what is the benefit of the LTS/gold that can't be gotten for cheaper or less work?

The Veteran Rewards is the only thing that can't be gotten in game or on the C-Store to silvers. And it should stay that way.