Lt. Commander
# 21
05-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
*scraches head* Ok, its 6:50 am here and my coffee have not yet shown effect, so have patience if the following I write is big BS:

The second part of that system; that when the crafted something sends you on a mission glued together of random elements sounds like what we already have with the exploration system.
Ha. Not random. That's the part that would justify a content dev.

Honestly, what I'm seeing is basically a counterpart to the DOff system but with a bit more story and in first person rather than handled through DOffs.

Think of it as DOff assignments you have to complete yourself. Hand crafted. Existing maps. You don't even load into a mission map for the most part but use wrappers and dialogue puzzles.

And the stories would make a point to justify being an investigation that would warrant a Captain doing it.

Think about the Diplomacy missions. Now imagine a ton of those, crafting gated, with some light combat missions scattered in, good rewards (which are justified by the crafting gating and time spent).

Here's the thing with the old Diplo missions. They couldn't give you a Mk XII rifle because they're too easy to warrant that. However, if you have, say, a Diplo mission that is crafting gated, requires an STF drop to even launch, and tells you to kill 25 Cardassians (but lets you choose where; could be Foundry, could be Mission Replay, could be Colony Invasion) then that's a really simple example of how it could be justified.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
So you have:

Wrappers (Kill 25 Cardassians anywhere)
Breadcrumbs (Go talk to Admiral Quinn. Now go to DS9)
Diplomacy (Ask Lepton the right questions in Quark's bar)

But you have the whole thing unlocked by crafting components obtained several ways.

And rare ones have more substance like cutscenes or missions.

You know those "Explore 3 Systems in the Delta Volanis Cluster" dailies? Now imagine that's not a daily but unlocked via a crafted item that launches a quest. And handcrafted. And has sub requirements like "Scan 5 anomalies" that result in you getting hails that build a storyline that ties back to the items you used to craft the quest.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Elaborating:

Part of the inspiration for this is the Shadowmourne questline in ********. It launches from a rare enemy item drop. It has a few cutscenes, some scripted behavior and voiceover. It leverages entirely existing locations in the game world, including some from prior expansions. It requires tasks that involve using or collecting things from various places.

This is some of the quest:

http://youtu.be/k-wIC0mJ_z8

You have to "steal the souls" of 1000 enemies from an endgame raid from when it came out:

http://youtu.be/98wrc7c5U_U

Here's the final hand-in:

http://youtu.be/ZaJluSlVhKU
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-01-2012, 03:01 AM
While it is an interesting idea, I am trying to figure out the advantages of this a similarly complex randomly generated mission or mission sequence.

Also how will it hold up long term? Will it be seen as a boon or tedious?

What incentives do you foresee to convince people the extra effort would be worth it?
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
DO NOT give it to Cryptic, whatever you do. As much as you might like to see this game succeed, I do not believe for ONE MOMENT that Cryptic has the ability to do anything positive with it.

Put another way, Star Trek Online is the WORST game I have ever reviewed (and I've reviewed many), don't waste your good ideas on a shipwreck.
So you still play? After reviewing is as "the worst" game you ever reviewed.

Isnt that like hating your wife BEFORE you marry her.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-01-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm not so much into the idea of item crafting as a way of generating missions.

But, abstract it as informational data chips and turn it into "Information Crafting" -- where you put combinations of information or clues together and get a logical outcome. Put the information together in a different way and get a different outcome. That, I like.

The problem I see with that kind of approach is that "mystery" is not easy. Chaining together semi-random bits of information in a believable way that renders a logical outcome seems complicated enough that I can't imagine Cryptic pulling it off given their resources.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
DO NOT POST IT HERE...

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...

If this is an original concept, do not just give it out to anyone.
This. They could end up stealing your idea and using it in another game, and not even using it to improve this one.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I'm not so much into the idea of item crafting as a way of generating missions.

But, abstract it as informational data chips and turn it into "Information Crafting" -- where you put combinations of information or clues together and get a logical outcome. Put the information together in a different way and get a different outcome. That, I like.

The problem I see with that kind of approach is that "mystery" is not easy. Chaining together semi-random bits of information in a believable way that renders a logical outcome seems complicated enough that I can't imagine Cryptic pulling it off given their resources.
Nothing random. Hand crafted.

The random idea keeps filtering in here.

My system does not work with that kind of randomization.

The DOff system and its chains are not random either. The availability of stuff in the DOff system? Random.

This system would totally require an equivalent to Heretic taking responsibility for it. It would need periodic help from other people. But it could be MOSTLY one person's job. And it would be a big job.

The crafting component is where there could be some randomness. Once you get the missions, they are handcrafted. Nothing random. As many as possible would involve no new maps, no mission specific instances, or new NPC placements. There would be exceptions to this. Part of the whole point and what makes the diplomatic style missions more fun is that you don't know on the outset.

There is an emphasis on a heavy amount of handcrafted writing and some scripted behavior.

Some of these could be as simple as being sent to talk to Admiral Quinn and being handed a Mk XII blaster. The crafting element can allow for a mission like that to be totally fair because getting the mission to begin with might require an STF drop and a maxed DOff commendation category.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Just post your idea in a blog or something, then post the link here. Cryptic cannot claim ownership of ideas posted on other sites.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pt41nk4ng4r00
Just post your idea in a blog or something, then post the link here. Cryptic cannot claim ownership of ideas posted on other sites.
Actually... They can if I reveal it through a forum thread.

My understanding is that the same was true of ThomastheCat's designs.

If you make something and you link it here, you're ceding it.