Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasketo
Ill go ahead and say what everyone else is dancing around: its butt-ugly.
Wasnt that what I said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Looks like the federations ships had a nasty night out, that they do not want to talk about ever again.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasketo
Edit: oh and by the way "regenerative ablative" armour? lol ...
It's one of the terms for the hax-armor generator that Future-Janeway stole for use on the Voyager in "Endgame." The idea is that after the armor ablates, the generator replicates a new plate in its place.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Regarding the linked source:

Quote:
Memory Gamma was created to collect all of your Star Trek ideas. Whether it's characters, starships, planets, or fan fiction, the Star Trek universe is now yours to expand!
In other words, it isn't even something in some other game. It is just some idea tossed together by someone with no concerns whatsoever for balance or anything other than their own theories on 'coolness.'

Why even link a source for something like that?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Regarding the linked source:

In other words, it isn't even something in some other game. It is just some idea tossed together by someone with no concerns whatsoever for balance or anything other than their own theories on 'coolness.'

Why even link a source for something like that?
EAS probably rejected it as an "ubership" so he took it there.

I don't want to defecate on something that someone's put quite a bit of work into, but it's just strikes me as too big and fat for any form of Star Trek canon, imo, much less a game where stuff needs to be balanced.

Also, given that its canon that a bigger ship means a slower ship (it's never stated why, though, I'd guess its because a larger ship has to generate a larger warp-field) no warp core in existence is going carry that behemoth to warp 9.975.

EDIT: I just noticed it launches Defiants...

Yeah...

I know Klingon carriers in STO can launch BoPs, but they're little weak ones, not Hegh'tas or B'rel refits that'd be the equivalent of Defiants.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Ships
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
There many more ships I would rather have. Real ships that were in the TV/Movies.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post

Also, given that its canon that a bigger ship means a slower ship (it's never stated why, though, I'd guess its because a larger ship has to generate a larger warp-field) no warp core in existence is going carry that behemoth to warp 9.975..
Where is it stated that a larger ship is slower? It wasn't the case in TOS. Slower to accelerate, perhaps, but not to actually travel.

And given they redefined warp 10 as infinitely fast, warp 9.975 is 'nigh infinitely fast.' Other than when they mess around with the warp scale, it is not normal for any ship to go that fast.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd name my Invincible-class ship the U.S.S. Mary Sue.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Where is it stated that a larger ship is slower? It wasn't the case in TOS. Slower to accelerate, perhaps, but not to actually travel.

And given they redefined warp 10 as infinitely fast, warp 9.975 is 'nigh infinitely fast.' Other than when they mess around with the warp scale, it is not normal for any ship to go that fast.
It's definitely stated in "Year of Hell" that Annorax's ship's speed is limited to Warp 6 because of its size (or its mass, I can't remember which). The only way that makes sense, to me anyway, is if a larger ship needs to generate a larger warp field. So if you have a really huge ship, you need a really powerful warp core to reach high warp, which Annorax didn't have.

I think it may have been given as an explanation in TNG as for why the Romulan Warbird is slower than the Galaxy class, but I can't think of what episode. I might have imagined it.

Like most things in Star Trek though, it's probably not exactly consistent.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post
It's definitely stated in "Year of Hell" that Annorax's ship's speed is limited to Warp 6 because of its size (or its mass, I can't remember which). The only way that makes sense, to me anyway, is if a larger ship needs to generate a larger warp field. So if you have a really huge ship, you need a really powerful warp core to reach high warp, which Annorax didn't have.

I think it may have been given as an explanation in TNG as for why the Romulan Warbird is slower than the Galaxy class, but I can't think of what episode. I might have imagined it.

Like most things in Star Trek though, it's probably not exactly consistent.
Also it is a mass/engine ratio issue, and the ship would require a great deal of power to stay outside time. It may simply be it was under-engined for its mass.

Generally though, larger ships are capable of higher warp velocities than smaller ships in canon.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I bet all the officers can change weather patterns, create, galaxies, and talk to unicorns too!

http://windfalcon.deviantart.com/art...o-Tell-5470853

Starfleet Marines? Those don't exist except in one novel and maybe a FASA manual.