Lt. Commander
# 11
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW007
I feel that there needs to be an area of the game where you are truly afraid of loosing your ship.

I sugguest that if one day they could open up deepspace as an explorable area. They need to make it dangerous. I think that they can also add a factor of fear to deepspace. This could be delivered and it could add a great sense of risk to the game. I feel there is very little risk in this game.

Infact Kirk has stated risk is apart of the game if you want to sit in that chair. I personally do not feel it.

The way I propose to adding this feeling to the game is by the use of deep space. In deepspace you may encounter a lot of random dangers. If you manage to destroy your ship while you are in deepspace. You and your ship will be sent back to sol system. Your ship will be put into drydock for repair and on a cool down for a day or what ever is reasonable.

Durring this time you will be forced to use on of your other ships while your current ship is being repaired.
There should be no cost, or loss of any items on your ship. The penalty would be having to wait for your ship to be repaired.

This may also give people more reason to fly some of their other ships more as back ups.
in other words an eve online player comes over, lost his big battleship he wasted his time buying and arming then lost it in a fight and has to find the funds to do it again only without loosing it. it wouldnt make any sense with the current death penalty system on sto doing such a thing, and rebuilding a ship that is totally destroyed is a waste of effort when a brand new ship is easier to construct and costs alot less too...
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, It would take some work for the devs. Im not sure any of the other ships would be to fragile. It depends on if all you have in your ship collection is shuttles.

For you it may not be a good idea to loose your ship. It would be your choice of how much danger you put your self in and also you choice if you loose your ship. You would always have the choice to retreat from a mission or a enemy if you feel you are out matched.

If you send your ship to the repair yard it would be be cause you failed to protect your ship and crew.
I agree completely. That is why it would be nice for them to open up deepspace. Turn it into an area of shroud and new missions for end game. If you think this is too far fetched think about it some more.

I could be wrong but I dont think it hurts to talk about possibilities.
... did you just quote yourself, and then procede to agree with your own assesment?... o.O

"You'll have a great time, Bones. You'll enjoy your shore leave. You'll be able to relax. You call this relaxing? I'm a nervous wreck.If I'm not careful I might end up talking to myself."
- McCoy, talking to himself
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodar-Duggs
I think Anazonda is referring to the fact that too many times on Advanced and Elite, enemy NPC's still have the potential to instakill a player (with no potential for countering or preventing it).

For systems like this to work with harsh penalties, the failure has to lay solely at the feet of the player. (through their choices of Boff layouts, equipment layouts, when and where skills are used).

Anytime you have a "perma death" system for ships/equipment or characters, where the majority of deaths are attributed to poor game mechanics like Uber NPC alpha strikes that players have no opportunity to predict and counter, or regularly game crashes or server lag then its not feasible to introduce these types of penalties.
See... He caught it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Permanent death for ships or Boff are bad ideas!
But I do like the whole dry dock thing and the wait period.
If they choose to add another difficulty, I'm welcome to it.
Realistic Difficulty:
In missions and PvP and PvE, your ship will be able to get destroy but you'll get to respawnd. However, after you do, you won't only get the Elite level damages where you can just patch up with components, you'll get other punishment as well. These will include disabled weapons or damaged Boff slots. Other players on your team maybe able to temporarily get some of your system back up to a certain level but even when the mission/match ends, these damages will stay there until you reach a drydock.
Not only should ships system be disabled until you reach a drydock, your crew should be affected as well. Your Boff and/or Doff may become injured or disabled until you reach a starbase. You crew will never return up to a certain level as well until you reach a drydock/starbase.
If you visit your ship's interior, it should reflects the damages. There will be injuries sickbay or else where depending on what is damage or how bad are the damages is in general.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archofwinter
Permanent death for ships or Boff are bad ideas!
But I do like the whole dry dock thing and the wait period.
This, I think this idea has merit, and we could go a lot of places with it. But the question is, where?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
This, I think this idea has merit, and we could go a lot of places with it. But the question is, where?
Starbases would be the logical answer.....
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
At first, I had nothing at all to add except "I hate this idea ."
So I sat and thought about it.
I still hate this idea, but at least I have something constructive to say now.

It doesn't add anything to the game.
It's wouldn't be "realistic" difficulty level , as someone above suggested. True "REALISTIC" difficulty would mean , you get blown up ? Roll a new toon. That's realistic. No one wants that.

What you suggest would feel like ... well it would suck.
Right now, if I get destroyed in a mission. I can respawn and try the mission again, accounting for my mistakes and trying to improve my approach and strategy. My respawn is somewhere I can go back and finish what I started. A chance to immediately attempt a different strategy, when why I lost is fresh in my mind, so I can adjust.

You are simply suggesting what is essentially , a day long (or however long) respawn timer that doesn't even respawn me in a place I can easily get back to trying to finish whatever mission I was on. No Thanks.

Now, as I said, I hate this idea. Make it optional, and if you want to run around getting destroyed and having to fly an older ship for a day go right ahead. Just not a desire I can even begin to understand.

See Ya in the Universe
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
... did you just quote yourself, and then procede to agree with your own assesment?... o.O

"You'll have a great time, Bones. You'll enjoy your shore leave. You'll be able to relax. You call this relaxing? I'm a nervous wreck.If I'm not careful I might end up talking to myself."
- McCoy, talking to himself
BWA HA HA HA !!!
I can no longer take this thread, seriously.
Not even a little.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieJohn View Post
BWA HA HA HA !!!
I can no longer take this thread, seriously.
Not even a little.
I know right. LOL

#1 NO, I am too old for that crap :p I do not want to deal with permanent asset loss riding on a really bad random number generator. I used to be all about some "hardcore" back in the day, I game to relax now.

#2 Your raw proposal of perma-loss of ships and boffs is a DIRECT threat to lock box/C-store income, good luck with that bud. LOLOL

#2a A non destructive downtime could be an acceptable compromise if done in reasonable manner.

#3 Same thing I say to all the people who want this to become WOW.. WOW is -----> that-a-way
EVE is <--- that-a-way waiting right there for ya to get your little ships and dudes blown up to your hearts content.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Perhaps not permanent loss so much as more invested in the upkeep of my ship and crew.

As it stands right now, we have the option of playing on higher difficulties with the risk of injuries to our BOffs and damage to our ship if we are knocked unconscious or are blown up. Not really the best system I think, but it's what we got.

What I would like to see changed is instead of gaining injuries or ship damage when you die, is instead to have that accumulate as you spend more and more time out in space. A fatigue system of some sort. The longer I am away from home, the less effective my ship becomes. Same with my BOffs. The longer they're on duty, the more fatigued they become.