Lt. Commander
# 21
06-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
And the fact that they'd find some reason to make you go there and you'd be invisi-torped by the nearest borg cube, and then you'd loose your lockbox ship you paid !#$ for. No thanks.
Unless I'm misreading the OP, this is not 'lose your ship forever,' this is, 'your ship is too beat up to go anywhere for a little while.' I'm digesting the idea myself and am uncertain of it, but the ship is damaged, not lost.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
Unless I'm misreading the OP, this is not 'lose your ship forever,' this is, 'your ship is too beat up to go anywhere for a little while.' I'm digesting the idea myself and am uncertain of it, but the ship is damaged, not lost.
I think it might have been more interesting if Elite difficulty instead of being harder than Advanced, was the same difficulty but the mission required 5 players and failed if at any point all players were dead. Higher rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree that STO would benefit from the true risks of exploration. An example being something like cross the barrier at the edge of the galaxy. While we needn't repeat that specific example, we need threats which aren't as obvious as a named NPC or alien starship of the week. Threats to the entire ship and crew. Or just to your Captain or a specific BO. And deep-space is the clean slate from which to tell those stories and challenge a player to sort it all out.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW007
I feel that there needs to be an area of the game where you are truly afraid of loosing your ship.

I sugguest that if one day they could open up deepspace as an explorable area. They need to make it dangerous. I think that they can also add a factor of fear to deepspace. This could be delivered and it could add a great sense of risk to the game. I feel there is very little risk in this game.

Infact Kirk has stated risk is apart of the game if you want to sit in that chair. I personally do not feel it.

The way I propose to adding this feeling to the game is by the use of deep space. In deepspace you may encounter a lot of random dangers. If you manage to destroy your ship while you are in deepspace. You and your ship will be sent back to sol system. Your ship will be put into drydock for repair and on a cool down for a day or what ever is reasonable.

Durring this time you will be forced to use on of your other ships while your current ship is being repaired.
There should be no cost, or loss of any items on your ship. The penalty would be having to wait for your ship to be repaired.

This may also give people more reason to fly some of their other ships more as back ups.
Losing ship, how crazy would that be I mean we would need to pull it out of the c-store again then add our gear to it again. It's not really losing it and can never be but I have another suggestion.

How about longer term damage through PvP or Fleet v Fleet i.e. our ship must be left in Starbase for a duration of time in order to repair. The more we blow up in a match the longer that time is, like durability, something seriously lacking in this game and is needed.

They spoke about territory control possibly coming. It angers me to think they would even talk about it. The current system would never work. Territory control requires a seige effect on the playing holding territory, they can't just instantly repair all the time.

We would end up with 10 tanks sitting on a territory.

Also there would need to be c-store items like mining bots and maybe a colony pack. Spent items in order to cap a territory, an investment that is returned providing the player, with friends, hold the territory. This is an element of loss if players lose their colony or mine. The idea of losing colonists and resources is no small loss.

It works in Battlestar Galactica Online, thousands of players battle over resources alone and it has no where near the potential of STO.

Special doffs could also be lost during any play, not just territory control. We have crew members, they increase when out of combat, it's stupid. The loss your talking about couldb e delivered by making our crew number part of the doff system and having equal number of doffs. Obviously a different type of doff, separate from the main doff system. In order to refill these doffs we should need to return to a starbase for a period of time. Fleet bases could have perks that increase the speed of our crew increasing, perks that can be improved through c-store upgrades.

Is the game not far from having real penalty though?

Is Cryptic not catering the game for trekkies who seek role play and diplomacy?

Do they not often take great care not to upset people by taking something away from them when they blow up? STF damage is repaired on leaving, that is how soft the trek community is and it makes no money at all.

Instead we have stupid boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
And the fact that they'd find some reason to make you go there and you'd be invisi-torped by the nearest borg cube, and then you'd loose your lockbox ship you paid !#$ for. No thanks.

That would not be cool. Hopefully there would not be as many borg to deal with in deep space. Im growing a bit bored of seeing borg cubes. Id like to have more romulan, klingon, cardasian, ferengi, and unknown entity encounters. Like the crystal entity or space monsters similar to starfleet command.

Maybe we could respond to distress calls and evacuate some villagers due to a sun going super nova, or destroying asteroids that will cause catastrophe

In my mind deep space would simply be an extension of sector space. In this regard you would still have to enter an unknown system or click engage enemy if you encounter the borg.

I feel you should always beable to disengage or retreat from any engagement. That is your choice as the captain. In that situation you may wish to call on some friends to come to your location to assist you with the enemy.

It would be nice to have something your fleet can respond to like this.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I think many of you are missing the point the OP is making. The way I understand it is, if your ship goes boom in deep space, then it becomes unavailable for use for a time. You do not lose it permamently. You still keep your ship and equipment. I disagree with the day timer. Hours may work though. They could tie it in with fleet starbases (or ESD/Qonos if not in a fleet) and even Doff (use them to repair the ship). This would indeed encourage players to fully equip multiple ships. If you don't want to lose your primary vessel, switch to a back up prior to going to deep space. I find this idea intriguing and thinks it merits consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
I think many of you are missing the point the OP is making....
No, I got it. I read his point.
I still, personally, hate this idea.
I think I explain why pretty clearly in my post on Page 2
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Nothing to keep me from having 4 mvams in dock at any one time. Oops I broke one. Oh well every one move to ship number 2.

Want to impress me lets have a board of inquiry that can cashier your char out of star fleet. Or reduce you from vice admiral to captain. Place you under hack for a week
Your char can't leave esd.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
I think many of you are missing the point the OP is making. The way I understand it is, if your ship goes boom in deep space, then it becomes unavailable for use for a time. You do not lose it permamently. You still keep your ship and equipment. I disagree with the day timer. Hours may work though. They could tie it in with fleet starbases (or ESD/Qonos if not in a fleet) and even Doff (use them to repair the ship). This would indeed encourage players to fully equip multiple ships. If you don't want to lose your primary vessel, switch to a back up prior to going to deep space. I find this idea intriguing and thinks it merits consideration.
I agree and call for this to be added as already said.

They could add it to a more hardcore level of play, Normal, Elite, Harcore.

OR

How about some of the 10 man fleet missions that are coming, cause the players ship to require being kept in the fleet starbase when mission is complete. The more they blow during mission, they longer it stays. The better the starbase the quicker the ship is repaired.

Most player shave multiple ships, so that is not an issue.

This entire idea could add a realistic element and would obviously give players rewards for making it worth the effort right?

I don't even think the game is far from having such a system in place, damage already exists, fleet bases are coming, doffs could be used as mentioned already.

Bring it on I say.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Nothing to keep me from having 4 mvams in dock at any one time. Oops I broke one. Oh well every one move to ship number 2.

Want to impress me lets have a board of inquiry that can cashier your char out of star fleet. Or reduce you from vice admiral to captain. Place you under hack for a week
Your char can't leave esd.
OK well that is never going to happen.

Mandatory doff assignments regarding attending hearings when we blow up too much in a mission. Until doff assignment is done, we can't fly the specific ship. Naa.

How about we can't do other doff assignments until the mandatory ones are done. I'm talking 5 minute assignments nothing serious but the length of time being based on number of times a player blows up.