Lt. Commander
# 11
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
If sets are to be introduced to entice ppl to pvp, the set will have to be better than what's available to pve'rs already through stf's. I'm not sure that's really a good idea seeing as how there's little question STF sets are already the best sets available for pvp. The other thing to consider is the community backlash of having the best set on the game being available through pvp only. Can you imagine the outcry? I'm not saying cryptic should listen to the whining, I'm just saying that historically they HAVE bent to the whining of the voice of the vast majority of pve'rs whining about changing things for the better of pvp

I think there are both pros and cons to having new pvp sets. The most important thing will be balance however. One pro to new sets is possibly opening up a whole weapon type (plasma) that has been nerfed into the ground with STF set plasma resists.

They also HAVE to to something to address afk'ers if they start introducing better rewards and set grinds
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Does not the DL store basically fill the role of the old Mark Store?

if PvP sets arise, I would like to see a KDF melee set that accents the fact that most Klingons would rather face thier enemy with a blade than a disruptor.
Except that PvP Marks of Honor could only be attained via... PvP. Dilithium can be obtained any way. And the Dilithium Store doesn't give you the equivalents of Covariant Cap X3 shields in the era of sets.

Ultimately I think the specific implementation of the sets were a bad move. The idea was good, the SFX tech is genius, but the mechanics? Imbalanced. All the sets make any non-set item obsolete. I don't think that's the goal of sets in other games - you either try to go for sets and get the set bonuses, or you go for the rarest individual items that are just as strong as a full set. But what's done is done, no real point going over that anymore. They can't unmake their decisions anymore. We have to live with the idea that endgame gear consists of sets, and any item not in a set is worth very little and obsolete.

Since we have sets, and they are as powerful and relevant as they are, we need more of them, to reach diversity again. And we also need sets that you can gain via PvP. Not uber sets. Just sets that compare to the Assimilated Set or the MACO Set or what-you-have.

What we also don'T need, by the way, is a new currency.
Give us Accolades or some kind of PvP Commendations Tiers, and ranking up in these allows us to buy such gear, either for a token or for Dilithium (or a combination, e.g. one set item is for free, the rest for Dilithium)
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm of the opinion that as PVP is as dead as it is, to the point that the Overlord even said this himself in plain terms, anything is worth a try at this point. I dont LIKE the idea of a grind, but it would bring players into PVP to get the sets, titles, accolades etc and if they were set up in a certain way then those said potential grinders would have to learn how to PVP in order to get them.

If they cant be bothered to learn to PVP in order to get the gear, then more for those that do.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I think one thing that is a must is that any new gear introduced isn't awarded on a participation basis, but on a wins basis. Otherwise pvp will be even more plagued with AFK'ers than it already is.
You don't get anything for losing an stf, so hopefully the same approach will be adopted here.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
To expand on mustrums idea though, make pvp badges convertible to edcs so we can grind pvp for STF sets also. Maybe each person on the WINNING team has a 1/100 chance at a very rare gear set drop?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I think reality is PvP Sets will NOT save PvP. It will be an excuse to further hate PvP for those forced to do it for gear... the AFK set farming will be annoying to people that like PvP...

In the end anyone that doesn't like PvP won't be back after they get there set...

No one wins with more crap sets.

Making current PvE Sets purchasable with PvP currency is also a very very bad idea. There are PvE people that complain about how hard it is to get Mk XII purple drops, I don't want them AFKing in my matches do you ?

No sets is a dead end... what ever Gozer is going to do gear should be the last thing he worries about.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I always like sets, no matter PVE or PVP. It gives the game more diversity and stuff to experiment with.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
I think reality is PvP Sets will NOT save PvP. It will be an excuse to further hate PvP for those forced to do it for gear... the AFK set farming will be annoying to people that like PvP...

In the end anyone that doesn't like PvP won't be back after they get there set...

No one wins with more crap sets.

Making current PvE Sets purchasable with PvP currency is also a very very bad idea. There are PvE people that complain about how hard it is to get Mk XII purple drops, I don't want them AFKing in my matches do you ?

No sets is a dead end... what ever Gozer is going to do gear should be the last thing he worries about.

HEY! I did say they have to do something about afk'ers didn't I?

Why you no pew with us anymore?
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout23 View Post
HEY! I did say they have to do something about afk'ers didn't I?

Why you no pew with us anymore?
I've been shooting nerds with my sniper rifle... and stabbing em with my vibro knife.

I'll come pew some more soon. lol
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
I've been shooting nerds with my sniper rifle... and stabbing em with my vibro knife.

I'll come pew some more soon. lol
ah...tried to get out but they pulled you back in, huh. Been there...wait, I'm back here...