Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
The 3 borg mission (state of q, collateral damage etc) were added shortly after launch and so where the 4 undine episodes as well in season 2.

if you are counting the remasters then also include stranded in space and the p'jem one
Wow. The launch and Season 2 team are looking better and better.

I'm starting to think we need Zinc back.

Dan's great at managing a community but Zinc got RESULTS.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

Season 2 was in the first year, correct? As I mentioned in another thread they would have had a much higher budget due to initial game sales, plus any unspent initial funding.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Season 2 was in the first year, correct? As I mentioned in another thread they would have had a much higher budget due to initial game sales, plus any unspent initial funding.
Maybe. But they've had the same manpower, roughly, except during the divestment.

I honestly think systems tweaking and code branch merges between games eat up far too much of Cryptic's resources.

I feel like system design is a lot more subservient to content needs in other games whereas content is subservient to code branch merges and engine updates here.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Maybe. But they've had the same manpower, roughly, except during the divestment.

I honestly think systems tweaking and code branch merges between games eat up far too much of Cryptic's resources.

I feel like system design is a lot more subservient to content needs in other games whereas content is subservient to code branch merges and engine updates here.
I can't speak for WoW, but there is significant coding that goes into an EQ expansion. New mobs and quests (and especially raid events) have newer complex scripts. It is not uncommon for interface or other improvements to be bundled with an expansion too.

The most common requests for new features are typically held up by coding needs too.

Having the same staffing levels does not necessarily mean the same hours.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
The 3 borg mission (state of q, collateral damage etc) were added shortly after launch and so where the 4 undine episodes as well in season 2.

if you are counting the remasters then also include stranded in space and the p'jem one
I would not count remastered missions, sure they spent some time on those but that was to replace existing content, not adding extra content. Same with STF, they have spent time on changing them, splitting them in two and turning them in to grind fests but they have replaced existing content. Just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-02-2012, 05:18 AM
It sucks that despite saying they've doubled their team size that we don't seem to be getting double the content?
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:

I think he's off being EP of Neverwinter. Where he's getting RESULTS.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
I can't speak for WoW, but there is significant coding that goes into an EQ expansion. New mobs and quests (and especially raid events) have newer complex scripts. It is not uncommon for interface or other improvements to be bundled with an expansion too.

The most common requests for new features are typically held up by coding needs too.

Having the same staffing levels does not necessarily mean the same hours.
Expansions aren't quarterly in EQ, are they?

Most non-Cryptic games I've played seem to try to avoid major updates to the engine in their quarterly or monthly patches and play catchup every 16, 18, 24 months.

In terms of features, every Season patch in STO has been on par with a game expansion. I think the engine tends to progress way too far, too fast.

If they just froze us in at, say, Season 6 for 12 months and focused on content, I bet we'd see more content.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
It sucks that despite saying they've doubled their team size that we don't seem to be getting double the content?
well dont forget that double of 0 is still 0
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-02-2012, 09:43 AM
i personally do not count remasterd missions as continueing the story arc... (they are the same story just a bit spruced up..) what the op was asking was how many missions expanded and furthered the story arc.

i motion that remastered episodes (including remastered or reworked stf's) be striken from the list.. as it never furthered the story arc from the original intent of the mission itself... just made them more shiney...