Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Expansions aren't quarterly in EQ, are they?

Most non-Cryptic games I've played seem to try to avoid major updates to the engine in their quarterly or monthly patches and play catchup every 16, 18, 24 months.

In terms of features, every Season patch in STO has been on par with a game expansion. I think the engine tends to progress way too far, too fast.

If they just froze us in at, say, Season 6 for 12 months and focused on content, I bet we'd see more content.
Usually annually, but at times in EQ's history they have been every 6 months. There are performance and/or tweeking patches a lot more often though, and what are likely anti-hacking patches (likely changing the encryption) even more often (I'd say at least once a week if not more often).
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Interesting, so the count is around 35, if we combine both factions?

Of that number, how many relate to the "Path to 2409"? How many resolve existing cliffhangers from original stories? How many simply branched off into entirely new directions with no reference to the original story-lines of the game?
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
It sucks that despite saying they've doubled their team size that we don't seem to be getting double the content?
Unlike, lets say the construction industry where a new hire can be put to digging ditches immediately and everyone can see the results right away....

With programmers there is typically a bit of a delay as new hires need to understand the millions of lines of existing code and how they interact before making changes which could have vast and profound implications for the game as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Have people forgotten 'Hearts and Minds' so quickly?

Sure, it's locked off behind a timewall; but it's still a story with a beginning, middle and end. One that acknowledges Star Trek history without immediately copying an existing TV episode.

Probably one of the best bang-for-buck missions of recent months. It would be nice if there were more unambitious efforts like that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Interesting, so the count is around 35, if we combine both factions?

Of that number, how many relate to the "Path to 2409"? How many resolve existing cliffhangers from original stories? How many simply branched off into entirely new directions with no reference to the original story-lines of the game?
I have mixed feelings on that.

I think in some ways, the Iconian/Undine plot is STO's "Temporal Cold War" and that standalone episodes do continue the story... or would if we had a better sense of character fleshing out and evolution.

Imagine if, say, Kurland was delayed in The 2800 because his parents were visiting the station. And then we saw them with the evacuees in "Of Bajor."

Star Trek characters cook. They play musical instruments. They put on plays. These wrinkles emerging constitute a kind of evolution.

The Law & Order franchise, like Trek, has had few serial plots but builds a sense of evolution by giving characters quirks, giving us more glimpses into who they are over time.

I would be fine with that kind of evolution. I feel like the closest we've gotten is Obisek, who goes from enemy to anti-hero. Maybe the Klingon ally in Remastered Doomsday. I feel like Cryptic has built towards that in some ways but is really weak at leveraging sentimentality, something Trek TV and most other big MMOs (EVE aside) are better at.

I don't need a serial plot for something to qualify as story and even the Dominion War had lots of stand alones.

But I feel like progress, not TECHNICAL but EMOTIONAL, is lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Unlike, lets say the construction industry where a new hire can be put to digging ditches immediately and everyone can see the results right away....

With programmers there is typically a bit of a delay as new hires need to understand the millions of lines of existing code and how they interact before making changes which could have vast and profound implications for the game as a whole.
There are no programmers on STO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
There are no programmers on STO.
Really? No programmers on STO at all? It seems to me like they may have one or two working on STO at this time. Who is doing the code changes for Star bases in season 6 then?
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Really? No programmers on STO at all? It seems to me like they may have one or two working on STO at this time. Who is doing the code changes for Star bases in season 6 then?
A shared pool at Cryptic, I believe, who basically get budgeted in as subcontractors for all the teams.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
A shared pool at Cryptic, I believe, who basically get budgeted in as subcontractors for all the teams.
Assuming what you say is true (citation?) they many not be full time just for STO but they are doing programming work for STO. So that would mean there are programmers on STO.

Edit - A better choice of words for you above in my opinion would have been "There are no programmers dedicated to just STO."
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Assuming what you say is true (citation?) they many not be full time just for STO but they are doing programming work for STO. So that would mean there are programmers on STO.

Edit - A better choice of words for you above in my opinion would have been "There are no programmers dedicated to just STO."
i think his point is still valid

you assumed that the dedicated sto team doubling in size would have quite a big time gap before we felt its effect but as these "new people" dont have to familiarize themselves with lines of code what is the hold up.

I always though that out of lazy, incompetent, badly run and understaffed STO's problem was lack of staff. Maybe I was wrong