Lt. Commander
This has got to be one of the most iconic screenshots of Startrek Online since it was created. If this is not enough to get people interested in returning, to see what the fuss is about, I don't know what is.

So I would like to welcome everyone who is returning to STO and I hope Cryptic finally kills all acusations and weak complaints regarding the time they spend developing. No matter how much I dislike some of the game, I always respect a professionals effort and in gaming it usually overshadows what the majority game players do in their life. There have been a lot of threads recently claiming Cryptic developers don't do much at all, I think this screenshot says otherwise.

Klingon Base

http://startrekonline.com/dyncontent..._FS_060112.jpg

It is not just about the screenshot. It is the functionallity promised with it. The ability to watch the starbase grow, select how it looks, visit the interior and interact with functionality within it. I dare people to say they have been doing nothing in this thread as I have read constantly over the last few weeks.

Best Screenshot To Date?
Sure the doff system was a big project, Odyssey is a key ship and the most recent episodes had some nice screenshots because the graphics were on a new level of detail. But this recent image is more.

From what Cryptic says it sounds like Starbases will deliver a bit of everything, all in once place. Something for every type of gamer hopefully. Just the idea, will bring people back for a day. That is without a doubt, it always happens. Hopefully they stick around and Starbases turn out to be THAT good for STO.

There is also the question of what happens later. Bringing various types of gameplay together in close proximity could lead to something we've never seen in a game. 2013 could make Starbases look like one big MMO experiment especially with the doff system mixed in and fleets perks. The effect that it could have on gamers, might make the news. My opinion sure, but I've played games since I was a kid and there has not been one friend of mines who didn't wish for something close to what Cryptic are deliverying. They are going to push peoples buttons big time if they get it right. Which is exactly why it would be dangerous to it wrong. The disapointment would be bigger than ever. I for one would be willing to put money into the game if they get it right, offer c-store starbase related items/services and price them around the same as lock box keys.

However I've read nothing to suggest Cryptic plan to monetize Starbases.

Question is, will it be enough to get more people playing, do you think the concept of a Fleet home can attract big player numbers?

Will Starbases make up for some of the games faults that I myself experience to this day? As 800 day veteran it can be frustrating, but the game is not a write off, it is not the worst experience by far and even with my total hatred for their F2P approach (random items from boxes, I prefer all out pay to win and open zone pvp etc). I feel Starbases could offer enough for gamers to ignore the negatives and forgive faults.

Or will a whole lot more faults, bugs and frustrations be delivered?

Lets not guess so, we can't tell the future right!

But how many small glitches will Cryptic get away with in Starbase functionality before it actually triggers subscription cancellation?

This screenshot could be our first look at strong evidence of the games true status. The evidence will be delivered in Season 6 (this month hopefully) and I think many of us will make our final decision on Cryptic, Perfect World and STO.

Will Starbases help you come to a conclusion about your future in STO?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2012, 06:22 AM
I think starbases will breath new life into sto and will be a welcome addition. Keep the positive ideas coming.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
We'll see ofc how things pan out (feature wise), but it is exciting.

I just hope they use a different PR strategy for season six. The current email format isn't very exciting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2012, 07:15 AM
It looks nice but there really isn't much to do in STO. I don't think star bases will bring players back or keep them playing long term.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Same. I don't like being a downer. But once you build the base. That's it. Plus, I can't use them. I have no fleet (Not enough friends play STO). At least they will be done. So the guys can focus on other things. So that we don't get bored all over again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2012, 08:38 AM
This will encourage people to join fleets and work together. This may not be a win for everyone, but every bit of new game play will help everyone in the comunity. Whether it be directly or indirectly. The more things they can develop to bring some smiles to some faces the better off we all are as a community.

Lt. Commander
# 7
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Same. I don't like being a downer. But once you build the base. That's it. Plus, I can't use them. I have no fleet (Not enough friends play STO). At least they will be done. So the guys can focus on other things. So that we don't get bored all over again.
Would this and the features/gameplay it may unlock not encourage you to seek out membership or even establish a fleet of your own then? Assuming they don't introduce some form of publicly accessible starbase for those outside fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the pic.

Not sure how excited I should be about Fleet Starbases, though, my fleet is off playing another MMO where PVP is fully-developed. The guys come back now and again, to check on things, but I'm not sure if this is the big ticket item that will get them to return to the game.

Then again, it's a PVP fleet, and I might have to wait to see what changes to PVP are made and if Starbases are implemented into PVP to see if that will draw them back.
But in all likelyhood, I'll be building one of these bad boys on my own frownieface
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
while the pics look nice, its pointless getting excited about them until we know what we can do with bases and what they will cost (financial and timewise)..... It would be a shame to get all excited about them only to find out they are uselss without spending an insane amount of time or money on them !

I withhold all optimisim till i have all the details !
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Your thinking too small compared to what Cryptic have hinted.

Fleet bases may be involved in territory control play when it comes. Fleet v Fleet is coming for sure, maybe Season 6 don't know. Doff system will effect Starbases and players will get perks by upgrading them.

You can also join any fleet and make online friends. Something I seriously recommend due to the play hours that fleet content will deliver. They said 10 man STF type missions for fleets, that alone should not be missed. So maybe now is the time to join an active fleet?