Lt. Commander
# 11
06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Your thinking too small compared to what Cryptic have hinted.

Fleet bases may be involved in territory control play when it comes. Fleet v Fleet is coming for sure, maybe Season 6 don't know. Doff system will effect Starbases and players will get perks by upgrading them.

You can also join any fleet and make online friends. Something I seriously recommend due to the play hours that fleet content will deliver. They said 10 man STF type missions for fleets, that alone should not be missed. So maybe now is the time to join an active fleet?
I also think they might be involved in territory control. The devs have to integrate the star bases into the game, or else nobody is going to care about them. I can see the rage posts on the forums now. Why didn't anybody tell me we'd need a star base for territory control? RAGE!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesypizza
while the pics look nice, its pointless getting excited about them until we know what we can do with bases and what they will cost (financial and timewise)..... It would be a shame to get all excited about them only to find out they are uselss without spending an insane amount of time or money on them !

I withhold all optimisim till i have all the details !
Yes sometimes I have the same opinion. However I'm hoping this early discussion will continue and bump up in the forum on release of Season 6. Maybe players can answer my question about the screenshot being the best, when they put functionality to the image.

The questions I'm asking basically come down to what the community accept as a good job...or not depending on opinion.

But yes, we shall see soon enough.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
I also think they might be involved in territory control. The devs have to integrate the star bases into the game, or else nobody is going to care about them. I can see the rage posts on the forums now. Why didn't anybody tell me we'd need a star base for territory control? RAGE!!!!!
I doubt an area of play like territory control would require Starbases. Normally such games offer something to capture and hold that gives resources.

Cryptic suggested fleets bases might be build by mining the resources. Players who do not want to be a member of a fleet could possibly mine the materials used in Starbase construction then sell the materials.

However they have or will do it I'm sure it will be for everyone not just fleets.

My post here is about finding out what players will find acceptable in the early days, like the first week.

I myself might be surprised and not happy about no territory control existing before end of June. With territories including planetoids for capturing and mining. It may be a lot to ask for but I just feel it has to all come at once. It would not make sense to me to build a starbase and not have to at least protect faction mining columns who get the required materials.

Sure they could avoid adding all that but it would be a missed chance for some good play time. Fighting over a resource, 10 v 10, can be brutal and major fun. So yes I may not be happy if we just get bases and we are building them with doff assignments, data we already have and realistic element added regarding materials.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Territory control in general would cause a lot of rage....
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm most interested in the process of building one...
What it involves, can all fleet members contribute and most importantly, Cost.
Secondly is how much interaction there is.
If it's just another dressed up social area, well...it better be cheap.
If it's more than that, that would be really sweet, might not even mind a high price as much.

Until those details come out, I'll reserve any pure speculation, because that's all it is.
Had my hopes crushed by this game too much to even wish for it to do anything but look cool.
Which it does very well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
There is a coolness factor there.. but will it be more fluff or will it truly add value in the game (AKA something to DO not buy).
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I doubt starbases alone will be enough to entice folks to return. Starbases could be considered a sort of "player home" and we've had our ship interiors for a long time and nothing but a little decoration went into them. What's lacking is "something to do" not "someplace to walk around."
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
This has got to be one of the most iconic screenshots of Startrek Online since it was created.
So I would like to welcome everyone who is returning to STO and I hope Cryptic finally kills all acusations and weak complaints regarding the time they spend developing.
snip)
This screenshot could be our first look at strong evidence of the games true status.
Not to be a downer , but I hope you're not confusing great art with great content .
Because I can't really recall all that many complaints against STO's art -- in fact there are those who will say that the art department has really upped the level in the last two FE's .

But there is art , and there is content .
And most of the critique has gone in the direction of the content (or lack there of) , and the direction for the game (or lack there of) .

I hope your optimism will be rewarded .
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I'll be surprised if season 6 isnt anything more than fleet starbases and the grind to get them.