Lt. Commander
# 11
06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
If you install from disk I have no clue why it's there. It has never been on my pc from STO. I just rechecked to make sure and Pando is no where to be found.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

If you are installing from a DVD/CD then your certainly not getting a complete install and will need to patch regardless. It makes sense that the pando notice would not feature prominently on a dvd install if it was not an adopted service when that dvd was distributed.

It is likely that it was installed through the patching process. If you were not notified at this stage, then I agree its something Cryptic should improve their communication on.[/COLOR
[/font]
Apologies but i am seeing red and still am. I think what I have quoted above is more than likely whats happened here

Still id like to know why ? and is this likely to be silently pushed again ?
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I've been playing and DL'n STO since Feb 2010...

Just did a complete search of my hard drives and couldn't find Pando anywhere.

Is there a specific DL process that includes it?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
No Pando here.

No PMB.exe found on the drive and that;s with the index set to index everything that it can fine.

Never seen a popup and since the Tin is in my vitamins instead of just being in my tin hat, I'm a bit more high strung than most folks when it comes to pc security.

edit: Just saying. Considering this is a peer to peer networking program and most of the networks I use ban such beasts, and at least two of them have security on their properties, this is a matter of concern to me.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I actually did just find it, after poking around through my Control Panel. Kinda weird, but whatever, I just uninstalled it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
I actually did just find it, after poking around through my Control Panel. Kinda weird, but whatever, I just uninstalled it.
It might be helpful if you mentioned where you found it on your drive.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
It might be helpful if you mentioned where you found it on your drive.
I didn't actually take note of it, since it literally just showed up there in my list of installed programs. Sorry. I uninstalled it fairly quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
I didn't actually take note of it, since it literally just showed up there in my list of installed programs. Sorry. I uninstalled it fairly quickly.
Not a problem.

I know the typical index of a windows hard drive misses a lot of it so even I may not be seeing it.

Linkie just for reference: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dd-remove.html
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

It is likely that it was installed through the patching process. If you were not notified at this stage, then I agree its something Cryptic should improve their communication on.
There is no way you could have gotten pando from us via either DVD install or patching. The only way to get it is if you explicitly download and run one of the pando based installers. If you didn't do that, then you must have gotten it from somewhere else.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I have Pando on my system, but it was not from STO (which I have had on my system since my first closed beta download).

In my case it came from Stardock's Sins of a Solar Empire. Note that LOTRO, ****, EvE, League Of Legends, Battlefield 3, Lineage 2, CoH, and more... All use Pando as well.

Alos, from Pando's FAQ:
http://www.pandonetworks.com/Pando-M...ster-Games-FAQ

Is Pando Media Booster Spyware, Malware, Adware, Virus or SPAM? Can PMB be used to deliver harmful files to my computer or to access my personal information or files?
No, no, and absolutely not! Pando Media Booster is a safe program, verified and signed by VeriSign. It will never carry ads, popups, viruses, spam, or spyware and will not be used to track personal information, files or browsing habits. Pando only connects to verified sources from authenticated publishers, and the identity of your computer is not known to other network users. This means that neither Pando nor other users can ever access, record, or transfer any personal information, files, or online activities. No one can send you any files, and you cannot receive files from unauthenticated sources using Pando Media Booster.

And:

How do I remove Pando Media Booster from my computer?
In Windows XP

Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs. Find Pando Media Booster and click on it. Now click the 'Remove' button. Some files may remain on your computer until the next time you restart it.

In Windows Vista
Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Find Pando Media Booster and click 'Uninstall' button on the top of the list. Some files may remain on your computer until the next time you restart it.

In Mac
Use the uninstaller included with PMB. Then go to your Mac's Library, open the Application Support folder, find the PMB app and manually remove its components.