Lt. Commander
# 1 Is my ship broken?
06-02-2012, 09:46 AM
G'day everyone

I recently purchased the Guramba Siege Destroyer because I love the look of it, especially when it fires its main gun. However this ship just randomly blows up all the time (even 20kms away from any bad guys) and I can't figure out why. Before today I thought the invisible torpedo was a myth because I had never had any issues with it. I take a big hit from something and my shield stay at 100% but my hull is instantly down to 20%, so I make a run for it but even if I'm 20kms away I still die to something the second I slow down or turn around. Ever since purchasing this ship all I do is make exploding noises every few minutes. I was even hit by a 790,000hp explosion at one stage killing me and the bloke next to me. So it got me thinking, what if it's not an invisible torpedo but a ship issue. Some sort of bad code that makes it so a hit from normal fire reads as something off the scale.

What do you think?

Cheers
Gav

P.S. This is my first post so, hello everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome ^_^

I dont suppose you notice this happening in STF's more often than not?

I pretty much only play STFs and it happens to me in my Garumba fairly freaquently,
ive just assumed it was those nasty borg playing tricks on me w/ those invisible
torpedos
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2012, 10:58 AM
since my guramba is just fine, and the thing you are describing sound like the invis torp, it must be the invisible torpedo.

i can only suggest that you try to avoid hitting the gate while doing generators etc...otherwise it will focus on you and surely kill you. If you see that the gate or cube fixed on you, get out of it's range instantly or buff shield resi and keep your shields up all the time.

It can happen, that the torpedo hit you, and you are flying around for a good few seconds until you blow up. I don't know why that is, but it seems there can be a lag that prevents you from exploding on the spot, instead you fly around still for a good while.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes the invisible Torpedo is deadly, and it has no limit to it's range. But they need to lock and fire it within 10k, you'll just never outrun it.

I got that ship and rarely die in it in the Elite STFs so the question comes down to how is it built?

Weapons 3 DHCs, Plasma Torp, 3 Turrets.
Consoles
Eng:
I run two Neutronium and an RCS (I should trade this out for a Borg, but I keep forgetting to get if off the other ship.)
Sci:
Field Emitter and Field Generator
Tac:
Disruptor Consoles are surprisingly highly desired here. I run four.

Borg Engine & Deflectors. KHG Shield. I did quite like the performance of it in the Reman Set. Because I've always used the Plasma Torp on it (All green weapons) but this Combo has better survival if I remember to swap out that console.

BOFFs (Note my Boffs are shared across multiple ships so some may be less than optimal
Tac:
TT1 > CRF1 > APO1 > APO3
TT1 > CSV1 > THY3
Eng:
EPtS1 > RPS1
EPtS1
Sci:
JS1 > HE2

Jam Sensors works for me, most people use something else.

DOFFs, Not 100% sure here, Warp Eng for the Power boost on EPtS and Shield Distro for the Brace for Impact shield recharge are definitely in there; and I run at least one Projectile usually.

ATM I'm flying a Cruiser most of the time and use different DOFFs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
this is happening in the last few days to me also.. in my BOP.

- invisible torps 20+ km from the cube - happening all the time
- AFTER taking donatra's ship down in KASE, im in 7km range of it and BLOW UP together with her as the only ship from 5, apparently without a reason, just to have to wait for a respawn...

in the log i see only - you suffered 5k damage from warp core breach, nothing more (hull of the BOP is more than 5k??? ) and it's taking me down from 90-100% hull and 90/100% shields
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
What I noticed in STFs is that since the last patch, my Hegh'ta does have much more trouble against Gateways and Donatra. I observe something very similar to the OP's description, without losing shields, I get to 10% or less hp.
Sure, before, the gates and Donatra were nasty as well, but I was used to losing shields and getting several quick hits that got me in trouble, not one hit out of nowhere that leaves shields intact.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Other than the invisible torpedos it could possibly be Borg boarding parties for some of the deaths. I have noticed that they are not clearing despite the use of Tactical Teams. Had a buddy get hit by one that did not give the teansport sound nor the green Borg boarding animation, he used a team I used a team on him and the boarding party still persisted and blew up his ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Could this be the Shield bug? Where you need to remove and re-equip your shields?
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Thank you for all the great ideas, apart from the well documented invisible torp the two that seem most likely at this stage are the Boarding party's not clearing and the shield bug idea. I'm going to try and fix both and re enter some more elite STFs to see if it's any better.

Out of interest i have setup my Guramba exactly the same as my Defiant Retro with Honour Guard XII shields and 2 x Blue XI Neutronium Armour + Borg Uni consol. This setup in the Defiant can often survive the invisible torp and i got used to almost never dyeing in elite STFs but this Guramba feels very squishy with the same setup.

Cheers
Gav
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-08-2012, 04:33 AM
i also know this surprising critical hit. it looks like a cloraked torp but i think it only a bug.