Lt. Commander
# 1 Biography space is too limited
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm a role player, so I like my characters to have some background. So all my characters have at least a basic background. Now, with one of my character on the Klingon side, I reached a point in the missions that have change is view of the Empire. I wanted to update/add to his original background, write it in a text editor, try to copy it, but it don't fit. I tried to remove some part, but I cannot make it fit.

So please, if it is feasible can you give use more space. I know that you may have some restrictions, server space or maybe in the code itself, but I think it should be feasible.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane2258
I'm a role player, so I like my characters to have some background. So all my characters have at least a basic background. Now, with one of my character on the Klingon side, I reached a point in the missions that have change is view of the Empire. I wanted to update/add to his original background, write it in a text editor, try to copy it, but it don't fit. I tried to remove some part, but I cannot make it fit.

So please, if it is feasible can you give use more space. I know that you may have some restrictions, server space or maybe in the code itself, but I think it should be feasible.
One way to get around this, is ingame. Press J, then look under the logs tab. You can have your captain write up 'supplemental' logs, for your missions, and it will be in his own words, reflecting his 'new view' of the Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
You could also just set up a blog for your characters....
Lt. Commander
# 4 Biography Formatting
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Since we're talking about biographies, does anybody know how to format a bio with paragraphs or no line-wrapping? Enter key doesn't seem to make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
It would be nice if they could port the Biography parsing code they use on Champions Online (which I think basically parses specific HTML codes). It's very easy to make structure biographies over there, compared to on STO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Biography space is more than adequate, IMO. In fact, in comparison to those MMOs which do allow for custom biographies for individual characters, I'm fairly certain STO's rates among the most lengthy.

The character biography isn't meant to be a novel about your character's background. I'd rather see a section on the forums dedicated to such types of RP-oriented threads instead, quite frankly. This forum really has no support for RP in its current state.

To create spaces in your bio, use <br>
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadratis View Post
Since we're talking about biographies, does anybody know how to format a bio with paragraphs or no line-wrapping? Enter key doesn't seem to make a difference.
Linebreaks display just fine when other players view your profile.
To see your own linebreaks, press F1 (to select yourself) and then press the little 'i' button [info button] in the bottom left corner of your avatar focus to display your info. Using this method prevents the no-linebreak bug from occuring on your end and is exactly what other people will see when viewing your profile.

This bug's been around since the game has, and the reports I've submitted for it still haven't been addressed. I just wrote it off and use that method to view things properly.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Kudos
06-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionfone View Post
Linebreaks display just fine when other players view your profile.
To see your own linebreaks, press F1 (to select yourself) and then press the little 'i' button [info button] in the bottom left corner of your avatar focus to display your info. Using this method prevents the no-linebreak bug from occuring on your end and is exactly what other people will see when viewing your profile.

This bug's been around since the game has, and the reports I've submitted for it still haven't been addressed. I just wrote it off and use that method to view things properly.
Many thanks, Ion. I do indeed remember the bug bothering me a little bit during the closed beta, but never made a report since all all/any of mine are just ignored.

Not terribly surprised it has not been fixed yet either. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
On a related note, I'd like to be able to write an inscription for the plaque on the bridge of our ship. The plaque is already there, but they're blank (except for the Constitution Class, which is defaulted).
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyForge View Post
On a related note, I'd like to be able to write an inscription for the plaque on the bridge of our ship. The plaque is already there, but they're blank (except for the Constitution Class, which is defaulted).
Now that would be awesome, indeed.