Lt. Commander
# 1 Using foundry to make videos
06-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Hey fellow STO'nians,

I have been scratching my head trying to find out how you can use STO foundry to make short Movies?

I want to make some videos for my fleet, but i cant find any articles online.

I like the Episodes on http://starbaseugc.com where they use STO characters as Virtual TV show presenters, how the hell do they do that?

So if you know how could you please help me out? Are there any good articles online that i can refer to?

Thanks

Bodgeup@blondsta
44th Fleet
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2012, 03:44 PM
To make a basic video, you will need to do 3 things.

You may know all these, but let's just get the ball rollling, eh?

1) Buy Fraps, to capture the footage itself. You can just use the Shareware/Demo version if you don't mind www.fraps.com being stamped at the top of your video. Thre may be other better footage grabbers, I don't know.

2) When ingame, press Alt-F12 to make your HUD/Interface disappear.

3) Edit the raw footage, then save the end result as a ordinary movie file. I would suggest Windows Movie Maker, because it's free. It is very limited, but this makes it an ideal first video editing experience, too.

And can I give you some actual advice, before you start?

In your first session, aim to make a very small terrible-but-complete scene. The options are endless, and your greatest gift as a creator just may be your self-control. If you have something - even something terrible - to show for your time, then you will still feel like you achieved something.

On another note: If you would like some custom music for your movie, please do not hesitate to inbox me. I will point you towards some of my previous work, and we can go from there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
There is also an in-game tool called demorecord though it's currently not properly working. Any custom NPC costume you create in the foundry will simply not show up. Though there is a way to get around this.

The following are links to tutorials that people have made to help you use Demorecord with the aid of a program STODemoLauncher that will help you record, edit, render and produce your video content.

Soriedemís Demo Record Tutorials (for making trailers), parts 1, 2, 3, 4

If you need any more help come and join us in the Starbaseugc chat room www.starbaseugc.com/chat