Lt. Commander
# 11
06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Just to be clear: Modding and making map's ain't the same thing... By any definition.

But I see where the poster above me is going, and he kinda makes my point.

If we get access to the full set of tools, it won't be long before half the current STO mission creaters proove to the entire public that it does not take almost a full year to make 5 missions... I mean... A good handful of missions out there made with the foundry are better story and map wise than what most cryptic missions are...

That would really be them shooting themselves in the foot....
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't like GUIs either. They all sacrafice usability and efficency for accessability. If you want anything get done, swing out a text editor and go down coding. Tho I admit that IDE-s can help a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-04-2012, 12:21 PM
True I did actually mean map-making. For example I tried to make some maps back in Jedi Knight II, Unreal, etc. Didn't go well. I could do things like replace textures, mod npcs to look different, but mapmaking is a piece of cake in Foundry comparatively. At least it is for me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
True I did actually mean map-making. For example I tried to make some maps back in Jedi Knight II, Unreal, etc. Didn't go well. I could do things like replace textures, mod npcs to look different, but mapmaking is a piece of cake in Foundry comparatively. At least it is for me.
If you put a little learning time into it, the Foundry is a great tool for creating maps... It's lacking a little in scripted events and assets, but all in all, we must remember that PLAYERS have created better maps and missions than 90% or so of cryptics... and THAT is cool.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
@drogyn1701 and anazonda: I was not asking for "their tools" just advanced options. Also don't turn this into a debate over modding games. It is not about that. Thanks.

I just wanted to chime in once more, to let the readers know something. I am sure some of you know that while using the Foundry you can export your project by typing this line in chat:

/ugcEditorExportProject <driver letter>:<path>\<file name>

This is part of the foundry and I am certain if they put it there it was meant to be used. So when you get your mission all done. Please export it to a text document then load it in a word processor with spell checking. Proof read all the dialog so you don't get those reviewers saying, "Needs a complete rewrite, way too many spelling errors.".
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Oh I don't think we were really debating He just pointed out a more accurate choice of words I could have used.

Anyway, just to warn you, we have been down this road before. If I remember correctly, and to be fair I may not, just exporting a foundry mission wasn't a problem, but Pendra got a ban when he tried to make a third party software to read it or convert it or something. So be careful.

Also, no matter how good your spelling, someone will always tell you that you have typos. My theory is it is because not every player knows proper spelling.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Theres also the diffrence between British and US english... Even if a mission text has 100% correct British english, some US guy will see it as wrong and vice versa... (<- random example).
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Theres also the diffrence between British and US english... Even if a mission text has 100% correct British english, some US guy will see it as wrong and vice versa... (<- random example).
I know what you mean, my son was spelling "dialog" (my spelling) and "dialogue" (his spelling). Because he is into GTA series he also calls the trunk the boot and the hood a bonnet.

@drogyn1701: As far as 3rd party I can't see, writing and proof reading your work in Open Office as a cyber crime.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
As a Top Gear fan I sympathize. I'm always catching myself saying Britishisms. I did it as a kid too in spelling, things like grey and armour that I got from reading too much Tolkein.

I remember a few authors who used to put a "I used British English" disclaimer in their missions.

I'm hoping Pendra will come in here and explain what happened, because I have a terrible memory. In any case I don't think they mind editing text in open office or whatever (I do that before putting it into the foundry) but I think the problem was when he created a program to read and edit game files. Some companies are fine with that, like Blizzard, but not Cryptic. Just want to make sure nobody gets hit with the ban hammer

Have you tried exporting? What sort of file do you end up with?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, nothing happened really. Got a mark for my Touchscreen app and that is about it. Stuff was taken down because of Wishstone and her liberal banhammer usage on questionable stuff (she even removed the STOked thread with the Jupiter uniform reveal). Every sto-advanced link was a possible ban hazard so I either removed all of those links from every post (impossible) or removed every questionable content to make the links safe. I did the later. It was a my personal decision. There was no official Cryptic warning or banning involved.

I still have and use the importer on auto settings and my STO is still special edition. I guess noone cares about that.