Lt. Commander
# 11
06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Heck, Mr. Stahl will probably just quote that post!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber1250 View Post
Heck, Mr. Stahl will probably just quote that post!
It depends. The Tholian FE would represent an abrupt turn unless FEs being "under investigation" simply means they plan on doing more of them that are shorter.

The 5 part model seems prone to filler episodes and STO is juggling too many plots for filler.

Also, the hints for the Tholian FE in The 2800 seem to hint the Tholians are primarily a setup for a new Mirror Universe themed plot.

It really wouldn't bug me if they trimmed FEs down to 2-3 parters, released all at once, quarterly, in addition to other mission content.

Honestly, I'm a fan of the WoW model where you have a dungeon/raid/fleet action-type thing launch with each patch/season and then 2-3 episodes that prep you for it and dump the lore around the dungeon.

So you'd have a Mirror Universe/Tholian STF and 2-3 Tholian/Mirror episodes and a few dailies with unique rewards that give you the lore while the STF focuses on the main assault.

Looking back at The 2800, for example, it would have made more sense if:

- Of Bajor and Second Wave got folded together with optional missions with side rewards inside (and some acknowledgement of why we don't just use the Founder in Facility 4028)

- Operation Gamma, as is.

- Facility 4028, mostly as is.

- Boldly They Rode, ground portion as a mission, up through Kar'ukans beamout

- Boldly They Rode, space portion as an STF
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I figured it had been converted to a Doff mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It depends. The Tholian FE would represent an abrupt turn unless FEs being "under investigation" simply means they plan on doing more of them that are shorter.

The 5 part model seems prone to filler episodes and STO is juggling too many plots for filler.

Also, the hints for the Tholian FE in The 2800 seem to hint the Tholians are primarily a setup for a new Mirror Universe themed plot.

It really wouldn't bug me if they trimmed FEs down to 2-3 parters, released all at once, quarterly, in addition to other mission content.

Honestly, I'm a fan of the WoW model where you have a dungeon/raid/fleet action-type thing launch with each patch/season and then 2-3 episodes that prep you for it and dump the lore around the dungeon.

So you'd have a Mirror Universe/Tholian STF and 2-3 Tholian/Mirror episodes and a few dailies with unique rewards that give you the lore while the STF focuses on the main assault.

Looking back at The 2800, for example, it would have made more sense if:

- Of Bajor and Second Wave got folded together with optional missions with side rewards inside (and some acknowledgement of why we don't just use the Founder in Facility 4028)

- Operation Gamma, as is.

- Facility 4028, mostly as is.

- Boldly They Rode, ground portion as a mission, up through Kar'ukans beamout

- Boldly They Rode, space portion as an STF
Don't agree with the boldly they rose space part being a STF as not mant gamers want to do STF's I have only just started doing the mirror universe ones so I can start cranking up the Dilithium so I can get the Bortas pack but not everyone wants to play in a group. A Tholian FEE would be good but if they just make a 2/3 parter then that would just suck. But suppose it would be better than not having them at all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
Engineering report 2012 June:

Under development
- Fleet starbases
- Tholian FE
- Klingon content
- Remastering new episodes
- GPL update
- Further lockboxes
- Additional Lobi items

In design discussion
- Referral program
- Exploration revamp
- Territory control
- More PVP maps
- Kit customization
- Improved crafting
- Ambassador class
- Andorian cruiser
- Hair tech
- More minigames
- Better sector space
- New daily events
- STF: The Hive
- Androids, Aenar, Talaxian, Hologram species
- Converting First Officer to Playable Captain
- Content on Andoria and Risa

...Marketingbabble...

If something, you want badly, is not on the list it doesn't mean we don't work on it. We are totally working on it or talking about it, just forgot to add.

Every Engineering report held about the same amount of truth as this one.
You forgot to add Doff App for smart phones so you can do doff missions on the go
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
I think every FE series to date felt like it was inflated by 1-3 parts.

Not saying I want fewer episodes total but I think it would have been better if instead of covering the story that they have so far in 20 episodes, they'd covered the same amount of story in 12 and done an extra 3 storylines for a total of 21.

STO has a tendency to beat a theme to pulp. 3 Borg STFs (now 6) is overkill. 5 episodes on any one topic is a bit too long and it drags.

Also, I think part of the problem with STFs is difficulty and part is lack of lore/hype. What we need are easy 5 man dungeons that are a blast to blow through. The emphasis should be on the joy of teaming, not challenge, which tends to make teaming a chore.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-04-2012, 01:51 AM
I agree 6 borg STF's is overkill they should stop a few of them and put another enemy STF instead
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom
I agree 6 borg STF's is overkill they should stop a few of them and put another enemy STF instead
You seem to be under the impression that :
a) The Borg STF's are taking up room that could be occupied by other STF's .
b) STF's are easy to produce .

I don't believe either is true .

Plus , since Gozer is busy with PVP now , and his latest statement regarding STF's was akin to "if they tell me to do STF's , I'll do STF's " -- that pretty much means that nobody right now is working on any new STF's .

But that's ok ... , we don't really need new STF's ... I mean heck , the last one was done right around the corner ... like in 2010 .
No hurry .
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think every FE series to date felt like it was inflated by 1-3 parts.

Not saying I want fewer episodes total but I think it would have been better if instead of covering the story that they have so far in 20 episodes, they'd covered the same amount of story in 12 and done an extra 3 storylines for a total of 21.

STO has a tendency to beat a theme to pulp. 3 Borg STFs (now 6) is overkill. 5 episodes on any one topic is a bit too long and it drags.

Also, I think part of the problem with STFs is difficulty and part is lack of lore/hype. What we need are easy 5 man dungeons that are a blast to blow through. The emphasis should be on the joy of teaming, not challenge, which tends to make teaming a chore.

The FE's do feel a little long. I was in Drozana station for what, 3-4 whole missions for the devidians? Of Bajor and Cold Comfort were both totally meh for me. I can't remember if there was a filler episode in the Reman line.

I could use more STF's if they felt more like the shuttle event. The current ones are getting pretty boring. The shuttle event has a flow. Your moving thru something. The current space STF's just don't have quite the same feel. Space, BTW, I'm not a big ground player.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
You seem to be under the impression that :
a) The Borg STF's are taking up room that could be occupied by other STF's .
b) STF's are easy to produce .

I don't believe either is true .

Plus , since Gozer is busy with PVP now , and his latest statement regarding STF's was akin to "if they tell me to do STF's , I'll do STF's " -- that pretty much means that nobody right now is working on any new STF's .

But that's ok ... , we don't really need new STF's ... I mean heck , the last one was done right around the corner ... like in 2010 .
No hurry .
Hey, they have 20 mysterious employees. Maybe they brought the design staff at their sister company, Runic, over to handle dungeon design between games and they're working on a bunch of FUN 5 mans.

I think a huge problem with STO is that it attracts first time MMOers and we wound up with a bunch of raids without any proper "dumb fun" dungeons to teach people to LIKE teaming.

I think one thing that WoW, CoH, and other games have had an edge over STO on is the inclusion of a lot of fun 5 mans where you get taught to enjoy teaming before they throw you into challenging team play.

This game could use a Deadmines, a Scarlet Monastery, a Positron Task Force -- the kind of 5 man that's just FUN oriented.

I feel like Gozer's concern with STFs has always been creating challenge modes and that the overall structure of STO outside of FAs and STFs has been to create dungeon maps that are anti-social. Pair that with first time MMOers and you train them to dislike teaming.

I love dungeons in ********, for example, whereas I only rarely enjoy raiding. And there's a lot of pleasure and progression to be had in just running a series of dungeons and developing the means to outgear the harder ones.

I actually think that's where the potential for surprise comes in with the Engineering Reports: what the 20 new employees are doing.

That's a big enough team to develop 25-40 FEs a year. I doubt they'll be doing JUST that though so the question of what they're doing makes a big difference.