Lt. Commander
So, STO's mail system, Damien as I like to call it, easily recognizable by the mark of the beast behind its ear, can be something of a major pain. Let's forget the ingame version only lets you delete messages one at a time. Let's forget that it ties into Champions' mail system.

I tried a bit of spam clearing today. Using the forum private messages UI I selected everything, and deleted everything. Just couldn't bring myself to sort through 300 messages for ones I might want to keep. Got it down to a nice, managable 0 mails.

Few hours later, 147 mails seem to have resurrected themselves.

And the worst of these are the Exchange returns. (Which all of the resurrectees are.) Cause unlike all other mail sent from player to player, or to yourself, the exchange return messages are only 'lootable' by the character that put up the exchange listing. With a lot of characters, and all Exchange returns following the exact same completely non-descriptive format, that means clicking a lot of mails to see that they don't have an attachment (for this character). It does however mark the message unread for all characters you check on after that.

So basically, I'd like to see one of these changes:
  • Paperclips or some other means to mark which of these mails still contain items (even if you can't loot them on your current character) and which are marked read simply because they've been cleared and are good to delete. Attaching the name of the character that needs to clear them would be great too. Or,
  • Make all mail-attachments lootable by all characters on an account so there'll be no more musical chairs with the mail system. Especially as STO does not have the least cumbersome method of alt-hopping in the business. (First you have to log out completely, login back in from the start screen, pick a new character, cross your fingers you logged it off on a starbase or otherwise near a mailbox, run to that mailbox, and sift through the madness before you can/must rinse and repeat.) Or,
  • Make emptied exchange returns delete themselves. And the "You have sold"s can auto-wipe themselves after a week as well, as far as I'm concerned. At least this would save some clicking. Or, my personal favorite;
  • Cut out the middleman and simply deposit returned listings straight into our inventory.
    Please.
This thing has bugged me, a little, for a very long time now, and I can't be the only one. But I didn't realize how bad it was until today. I think it's telling frankly, that I was willing to risk losing unsold stuff that might've still been lurking in these 'read' exchange returns, just so I didn't have to bother with the hassle of sorting through that mess, and even more so that half the messages I deleted came back. (I'm assuming that means they all contain something. That, or Damien's toying with me.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
So, STO's mail system, Damien as I like to call it, easily recognizable by the mark of the beast behind its ear, can be something of a major pain. Let's forget the ingame version only lets you delete messages one at a time. Let's forget that it ties into Champions' mail system.

I tried a bit of spam clearing today. Using the forum private messages UI I selected everything, and deleted everything. Just couldn't bring myself to sort through 300 messages for ones I might want to keep. Got it down to a nice, managable 0 mails.

Few hours later, 147 mails seem to have resurrected themselves.

And the worst of these are the Exchange returns. (Which all of the resurrectees are.) Cause unlike all other mail sent from player to player, or to yourself, the exchange return messages are only 'lootable' by the character that put up the exchange listing. With a lot of characters, and all Exchange returns following the exact same completely non-descriptive format, that means clicking a lot of mails to see that they don't have an attachment (for this character). It does however mark the message unread for all characters you check on after that.

So basically, I'd like to see one of these changes:
  • Paperclips or some other means to mark which of these mails still contain items (even if you can't loot them on your current character) and which are marked read simply because they've been cleared and are good to delete. Attaching the name of the character that needs to clear them would be great too. Or,
  • Make all mail-attachments lootable by all characters on an account so there'll be no more musical chairs with the mail system. Especially as STO does not have the least cumbersome method of alt-hopping in the business. (First you have to log out completely, login back in from the start screen, pick a new character, cross your fingers you logged it off on a starbase or otherwise near a mailbox, run to that mailbox, and sift through the madness before you can/must rinse and repeat.) Or,
  • Make emptied exchange returns delete themselves. And the "You have sold"s can auto-wipe themselves after a week as well, as far as I'm concerned. At least this would save some clicking. Or, my personal favorite;
  • Cut out the middleman and simply deposit returned listings straight into our inventory.
    Please.
This thing has bugged me, a little, for a very long time now, and I can't be the only one. But I didn't realize how bad it was until today. I think it's telling frankly, that I was willing to risk losing unsold stuff that might've still been lurking in these 'read' exchange returns, just so I didn't have to bother with the hassle of sorting through that mess, and even more so that half the messages I deleted came back. (I'm assuming that means they all contain something. That, or Damien's toying with me.)
I don't disagree with some of this, but wouldn't the highlighted disagree with your original mention of having to deal with multiple toons being able to retrieve retired listings? I do +1 a revamp to the mail system having unique returns to the toon that posted it though, it's quite annoying to have my mailbox flash green for a message unique do a different character.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, those two don't mix. But I merely listed options for Cryptic to choose one from. I don't expect them all, least of all the mutually exclusive ones.

My chief concern is no longer having to look for needles in a haystack. Whether that's done by dropping stuff straight into my inventory/overflow bag, clearly distinguishing between messages with and without attachments (and who they're for), ór letting one character loot all mails, so at worst I have to run through the entire list from top to bottom only once, doesn't really matter that much to me. As far as I'm concerned, each of the options is an improvement over the current system.

And each gets rid of the flashing mail button, yes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
also allowing EC to be attached to inter account mails would be nice so i could mail some cash to my new chars even if cross faction it's rather annoying the way things are now IF same faction having to use Fleet bank to do it IF said chars have access to withdraw EC ( usually i make my own fleets for this) or having to send items cross faction to sell to rack up EC for a new toon. Or doing the auction house "trade" can be annoying as well if you don't pick the right item to sell and there are more up than it will list and yours isnt listed.

i understand some of the reasoning behind this because of "gold sellers" however, simply make it so that you have to unlock the ability like everything else with silver by logging in over 30 hours or some such on the char you wish to send it from, not account wide because that is easily botted/afk'd where individual chars is a bit more time consuming . Either way almost every other MMO out there lets you mail currency between chars on your account so why can't we?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
I suggest having the items returned into account wide bank (when it comes out).
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Semi-related: I'd love a separate tab in the mail window dedicated to the exchange.