Lt. Commander
# 11
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
So basically they're an almost exact copy of Faction Bases from other perfect world games with the only STO addition being the changing of certain items to attribute to the faction bases. I had hoped some more through and unique work would be put into this rather than just taking PWE's system, which from what I know of it, isn't going to sit well with the vast majority of STO's players after the initial hype. In my opinion at least.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Sounds interesting.

Although "limited number of special ships" sounds.... bothersome. I┤m looking forward to the fleet infighting about who gets the three Sovies +1 that are available.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Sounds cool.

Why?
Massively misquoted a certain Cryptic DEV and hurt the community as a whole by doing so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-04-2012, 08:43 AM
So for f2p you combine the currency because it was two confusing because there where so many.

Expect know we have more then before and you adding another one.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
Massively misquoted a certain Cryptic DEV and hurt the community as a whole doing so.
Good point. Still, you shouldn't condemn the whole site based on that one mistake. Nobody's perfect, right?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
So, including Fleet Merits how many forms of currency does STO have now? (because that's basically what it is, be honest)

I'm glad I've got something worthwhile to spend my collected data samples on, and I can only hope the fleet gear's worth it, but overall this is not encouraging a healthy playstyle. The whole system encourages people to join the largest fleet with their tech focus and forsake any other - because they'll be able to power through Fleet Projects faster, and get to higher-tier fleet projects that yield better rewards way faster than smaller fleets.

Really, we may as well relegate all fleets to Teams and just have six actual fleets:
Fed Military
Fed Science
Fed Engineering

Klingon Military
Klingon Science
Klingon Engineering

Join whichever takes your fancy, contribute to whatever fleet project is ongoing at the time and get the Fleet Merits to spend on new stuff (and you'll have access to a wide array of new stuff, because the station will power up the tech tree with so many contributors.

there's no advantage in not joining up with the largest fleet that'll take you

Hopefully the interview later might clear up some stuff, but at the moment I'm seeing no reason to engage in season 6 at all if it's just going to be toys for the big fleets (also more timegated content? what the hell, guys?)
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
As soon as I saw "According to Cryptic" I was concerned...
And the nail...
Quote:
"Fleets will be able to "improve their starbase interior with special contacts and functionality such as bank access, ship dock facilities, social spaces, starbase level sickbays and many other additions"
Soo...it is as I hoped it would not be...a fancy social area...

Quote:
"Fleet advancement has been designed for fleets of all sizes, although there will exist "advantages and disadvantages depending on the size of [the] fleet's membership."
ie; this is going to be tough for the smaller fleets...Geez...maybe my fleet wouldn't be so small if we had *insert long lists of things the KDF has asked for over the past 2 years to attract more players*

Quote:
"Fleet Officers will have the ability to assign specific fleet projects they want the fleet to focus on. Some of these "will be gated by the starbase's development in each of the three major categories of Military, Engineering and Science, but others will be available only at certain times with unique rewards for those fleets who are able to complete their strenuous requirements."
*sigh* more time gated stuff? Really? Are you sure you are listening to players feedback on those?

Quote:
"Contributing to a fleet project will reward a fleet member with a number of Fleet Merits commensurate to her individual contribution"
Another form a currency being introduced? Wow...so much for that "reducing the number of curerencys" as the excuse for converting everything to Dilithium...seems like it was done so you could introduce more, different types of currency.

Quote:
To finish it all off, Cryptic stated that "future holdings in distant sectors in addition to starbases are also planned for the future."
So...no new missions associated with it, as previoulsy indicated, or at least hinted at by Danny in the last interview, what a surprise...
Basicly, "If your entire fleet grinds the same tired missions over and over and over you can get one of these..."
Oh wait...that's what we're doing now...well, at least we'll have something to show for it now...
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Good point. Still, you shouldn't condemn the whole site based on that one mistake. Nobody's perfect, right?
Right, very true, but no love for a little while.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-04-2012, 08:58 AM
What is interresting for me is that Massively gets all the Exclusives now, what is going on, first they rip the **** out of Jeremy and now they are Cryptic's fiancÚ.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Can we change Military to Tactical? Roddenberry always wanted to distance Starfleet from being a military organization as it's primary purpose, he wanted to emphasize the exploration/science activities instead. IMHO I think Tactical fits better with the lore of the IP.