Lt. Commander
# 301
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
An interesting story for you (True)

There once was a young man named Alan (his real name)
Who played a Game heavy in PVP raiding and looting (can not name for legal reasons but included the Race "Trollkin") this being in the Early 21st century
So he hits this other groups base (their player base being largely American they were asleep when he was online) over and over day after day for a week (changing his character name daily so he could not be tracked easily)
They got fed up with it
And one of them put out an appeal for "information leading to the identity of" this raider

one of his closest friends saw the posted reward and turned him in (for $50 worth of ingame currency)
Less than 24 hours later Alans home computer was under attack in cyberspace every time he logged on
his accounts with the game were hacked and his Email account used to sign up for and I quote "every internet list on the Continental USA"
His real name and details were posted on a website dedicated to catching internet sexual predators

it ruined his life

Alan had to obtain a UK court order to have that removed
AND change his home address , email address , Internet provider and Credit cards
He ALSO had to stop playing the game

(this horror story did the rounds in the UK papers in early 2004 if anyone wants to read the whole thing)

SEE he thought it was ok to rob and steal from people who could not fight back
then he REALLY hated it when they did

Happily STO has much much better security than that game did
but be sure

Maulers , raiders and other vicious types need to remember this
there is always someone NASTIER than you out there
and sooner or later you will run into them
Lt. Commander
# 302
06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi_Hatoko View Post
Heretic,

How are fleet points awarded? Say a project has A, B, C, and D inputs. If someone does all of input B, do they get 25% of all the fleet points available to be earned from that project?

The reason why I ask is because inputs A, B, C, and D could have dramatically varying values. If "A" is 100,000 dilithium and "B" is simply 1,000,000 EC, "A" seems profoundly more valuable and hard to acquire than "B". Consquently player 1 should receive more fleet points for doing 100% of "A" vs. player 2 who does 100% of B.
------

Will the duty officer system be willing to accept commons/uncommons/rares/very rares? Currently the cadre sale has completely demolished the value of duty officers. Most rares are now going for 300K each and are rapidly declining.
Different inputs are in fact valued differently - 1 Duty Officer is more valuable than 1 Dilithium which is more valuable than 1 Energy Credit. The amount of Fleet Credit you get for a donation is based both on what you are donating and how much you are donating.

Duty officer inputs specify the quality and sometimes the specialization as well. The more specific the duty officer is and the higher quality, the more Fleet Credit will be earned by the individual contributor. While all qualities are asked for throughout the system, the system is actually biased somewhat towards the lower qualities. My expectation is that duty officer prices on the Exchange will rise once the system goes to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 303
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Different inputs are in fact valued differently - 1 Duty Officer is more valuable than 1 Dilithium which is more valuable than 1 Energy Credit. The amount of Fleet Credit you get for a donation is based both on what you are donating and how much you are donating.

Duty officer inputs specify the quality and sometimes the specialization as well. The more specific the duty officer is and the higher quality, the more Fleet Credit will be earned by the individual contributor. While all qualities are asked for throughout the system, the system is actually biased somewhat towards the lower qualities. My expectation is that duty officer prices on the Exchange will rise once the system goes to Holodeck.
I've got a question in regards to Doff prices. Was it you intention to spread the EC supply around amongst players and to give low level characters/first time players a large amount of EC quicker via Doffs? Because Doffs are easily the single category of item that moves the most EC around.
Lt. Commander
# 304
06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
The best idea would probably be to have PVP Starbase raids high risk/high reward OPTIONAL missions that each fleet has to decide whether to participate in or not. if a fleet doesn't want to then they should be able to just ignore them.

Of course, it might also be a good idea to have each fleet set a time slot (like say 1600-2200) when most of their members are active that they are available so they can participate in fleet pvp, and have it added to a queue system much like the current PVP queue but with one day a week designated for choosing targets. A fleet could look through the list and decide what Starbase(s) to attack, pick a day, available time slots (a fleet should not be able to attack and also be attacked during the same time slot), and the defending fleet gets a message about it so they can get ready. This way STO finally gets some true PVP with actual rewards, and it would also prevent griefers from taking advantage of small fleets or fleets that are largely inactive during certain times.

But who knows what Cryptic has planned already, there could be brackets and rankings, and maybe even alliances so fleets could help eachother defend their bases.
Lt. Commander
# 305
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
i say stop teasing us and tell us when the dam seasons coming out i am hanging on by a thread of excitement here
Lt. Commander
# 306
06-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Tribble over the next three weeks then july according to best available source
Lt. Commander
# 307
06-15-2012, 01:25 AM
One only reading the forums, would think that this game is very bad. While in reality it is a very enjoyable experience. Come on people, develop trying to see the brighter side of the things, this habit will help you beyond this or any game.
When I started to play at f2p I was shocked by how good this game turned out to be. The reviews were all so negative, I said, ok, let's see what is STO, it's free anyway. Got hooked ever since.

Suckup mode off.
Lt. Commander
# 308
06-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
An interesting story for you (True)

There once was a young man named Alan (his real name)
Who played a Game heavy in PVP raiding and looting (can not name for legal reasons but included the Race "Trollkin") this being in the Early 21st century
So he hits this other groups base (their player base being largely American they were asleep when he was online) over and over day after day for a week (changing his character name daily so he could not be tracked easily)
They got fed up with it
And one of them put out an appeal for "information leading to the identity of" this raider

one of his closest friends saw the posted reward and turned him in (for $50 worth of ingame currency)
Less than 24 hours later Alans home computer was under attack in cyberspace every time he logged on
his accounts with the game were hacked and his Email account used to sign up for and I quote "every internet list on the Continental USA"
His real name and details were posted on a website dedicated to catching internet sexual predators

it ruined his life

Alan had to obtain a UK court order to have that removed
AND change his home address , email address , Internet provider and Credit cards
He ALSO had to stop playing the game

(this horror story did the rounds in the UK papers in early 2004 if anyone wants to read the whole thing)

SEE he thought it was ok to rob and steal from people who could not fight back
then he REALLY hated it when they did

Happily STO has much much better security than that game did
but be sure

Maulers , raiders and other vicious types need to remember this
there is always someone NASTIER than you out there
and sooner or later you will run into them
Also bet his friend is no longer that he should keep his friends close and enemies closer
Lt. Commander
# 309
06-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazKid
This is most upsetting, I think that given this information I'll limit my log-ons to just checking duty officers. Please, grow some stones & let us pillage each other's starbases otherwise I'm not interested in starbases. We want to fight & crush our enemies' starbases not this PvE rubbish. I thought maybe with starbases & pvp you'd allow us to actually invest our assets & RISK something. Instead we get some pathetic watered down PvE junk. If your company didn't have the Star Trek IP I would not play your game. I'm going to go play Guild Wars 2 keep defense scenarios, call me once you get up enough moxy to introduce RISK into the starbase equation.
If it is a choose-able risk, fine.

Like a setting in the Fleet UI, but with a countdown that during the next 30 minutes (a editable time frame) we will open up our base for others to attack. If someone tries to attack during that time that fleet have chosen to let them attack and will have to accept the losses if the can't defend their base. But if they win, they get to pillage the attackers starbase without having to attack it.

If someone tried to attack after 31 minutes they will not be able to as the timer for the event has passed the end time.

It could also involve a pillage amount setting where the fleets can themselves set how many percentages of their EC and Items can be pillaged. That info should then be visible in the list of available bases to attack so the attackers can decide if it's worth their time or not.