Lt. Commander
# 31
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charax1985
400CP/month stipend

500CP is 4, Lifetime sub is 128.33, which would buy me 16000CP in a lump sum

16000/400=40, so STO needs to run for, and I need to keep playing for, another three years and four months for this to be worth it.

It's a bit more than that. You need to factor in not just what you're getting, but also what you're not having to shell out extra to get. Over the course of leveling one character, you get free respecs at every promotion, and from veteran awards. Promotions alone I think that's 7. Each captain retrain token costs 400 CP. That's 2800 CP you can subtract from your 16K per character. If you buy 4 more character slots, that's seven characters total, for 19600 CP worth of respecs, minus the 850 CP you would have to spend to buy those extra characters, you're already 2750 points past what you spent. And then we haven't factored in the stipend yet. Or other services, like the default larger inventories, ship tokens, the veteran awards, Foundry access and so on.

If you plan to stick with one or two characters, and/or not buy any services, then it's probably not worth it for you. If you're an altoholic, it pays for itself, and quickly. (Which admittedly makes this offer slightly worrisome to me. I thought they didn't want subscribers anymore. That there's more money in silvers. In the long run. So if they're promoting not just subs, but lifetime subs now, could that mean there might not be a long run? Cause I'd hate to tell you to go for it if that was going to turn out to be the case.)
Lt. Commander
I have to say, I'm a subscriber (600+ days) and I'm switching to F2p once I hit 700 days. As a subscriber, I'm not feeling the love one bit. There isn't enough to keep my as a gold member, let alone a lifer. The price is still way too high in my opinion. For the minimal benefits, there is no point in paying $200. I don't think many others will be jumping on this either. I think the pot needs to be sweetened considerably or the price needs to drop to $100.
There should also be a C-Store discount for subscribers as you get approx. 5x more money out of them than 5 average silver members on a monthly basis.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
It's a bit more than that. You need to factor in not just what you're getting, but also what you're not having to shell out extra to get.
Fortunately you can now earn CPs by trading DL, so you dont actually have to shell out anything. You can easily earn a couple of hundred CPs a week for free, so it shouldnt take a free player long to get those extras without having to spend any of their own real money.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla-P
I have to say, I'm a subscriber (600+ days) and I'm switching to F2p once I hit 700 days. As a subscriber, I'm not feeling the love one bit. There isn't enough to keep my as a gold member, let alone a lifer. The price is still way too high in my opinion. For the minimal benefits, there is no point in paying $200. I don't think many others will be jumping on this either. I think the pot needs to be sweetened considerably or the price needs to drop to $100.
There should also be a C-Store discount for subscribers as you get approx. 5x more money out of them than 5 average silver members on a monthly basis.
This is kind of the way i feel, and I've been a lifer since beta. Even with the $100 off, this still isn't worth the money. Maybe if there were more on the way for lifers (like they had promised oh so long ago) then i'd think "maybe" but as it stands now, no. It's just not worth it. There is NO incentive for people to pay monthly anymore. The vet rewards are okay at best and frankly the liberated borg isn't really a game changer either. Maybe if they'd have made it a list of parts (more than just face) and traits usable by any race on the account i can see it being worth while, but i was actually surprised to find out that it was more than $199 BEFORE the sale. That's money that could be better spent on C-points alone..... had the c-store actually been putting in quality items rather than just things to make a quick buck.

Not that i'm.... you know... bitter or any thing....

*glares angrily at the C-store*
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
400CP/month stipend

16000/400=40, so STO needs to run for, and I need to keep playing for, another three years and four months for this to be worth it.
Not really. I did a thread a while back where I calculated that the actual value of the lifetime subscription in c-store purchases was around $700, so it pretty much pays for itself in the sense of things like slots, respec tokens, et cetera, although admittedly, some of these things are veterans rewards, which means that you will not receive them for several hundred days if you have never subscribed.

If you are likely to spend at least several hundred dollars in the c-store over the next few years, this is a great deal.

If you are happy playing the game without needing too much of the c-store fluff, it is probably better to stay silver.
Lt. Commander
# 36 Value Just Not Enough
06-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I appreciate the attempt at trying to get me to buy a LTS but unfortunately I don't see the value, not $200 anyhow. Like someone said earlier it would take 40 months to get your money back in stipend. Plus there are people who can wait for sales. I suspect another sale will pop up on 4th of July like last year did so buying C-Points will be a better value then. To me the only real value in the LTS is the Liberated Borg. Sure the increased inventory and extra character slot are nice, but I have only used 3/4 slots so far. And I bought the 1B increased EC bank already.

Another thing going against the purchase is that I can forsee the Liberated Borg being sold in the C-Store or becoming a Lock Box prize. To some people its something with significant value and I can see the executives above STO leadership "selling out" LTSers to cash their next big check.

Also when Boffs become promotable to captian there are Liberated Borg Boffs available for 440 C. Who wouldn't use that work around? I've already stockpiled about 6 of those because once that happens the exchange price will fly upwards.

Unfortunately I have this horrible nagging feeling that PWE is really in bad financial straights and is going to try to "take the money and run" while it can. Look at the company stock price. It's fallen some $4 since that one article came out on Seeking Alpha about lock boxes. The stock market is pretty sharp at detecting weakness.

Dropping the LTS price by $100 makes me suspicious of the game's long term viability. Maybe PWE is going great but STO is on the chopping block for one reason or another. Maybe CBS won't renew STO's license. I remember Decipher Inc. losing its license to Star Wars and the company went bankrupt because of that. The next company promised to make Star Wars cards as popular as Pokemon and it was a dismal failure. $1000s of dollars in collected cards became worthless overnight.

A LTS is a major investment in STO and unforunately I don't see making that commitment right now. Maybe if they sweetened the LTS pot next week I would.

Increase the stipend?
Make Liberated Borg applicable to all races such as Catian, Trill, Vulcan ... with usability of full Borg costume, just not the head piece.

Heck you can use alien race to get infected skin, then add in 7o9's uniform and you can make a near looking Borg character. That's what I did. Why pay $300 or $200 for essentially a laser beam?

Sorry Cryptic... I just can't get behind this without better value or better assurances. Thanks for making a first step though. Try taking another?
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Meh, they have had plenty of lifetime subscription sales in the past, including one right before the game launched as F2P.

I do not think it is any kind of financial indicator. Now that the game is free to play, lifetime subscriptions are a great deal for Cryptic, because $200 is probably more money than all but a small handful of silver players will spend in the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, aside from the yacht the rewards are mostly just tokens (and they can be bought), but it would certainly be favorable. Then again, that would involve telling us what we're gonna get before we put down the cash, which is just silly!
IMO the Captain's Yacht is in real terms (i.e. practicality as opposed to bragging rights) worth about the same as any of the other non-EC shuttles, so perhaps 400 CP (i.e. one additional month's stipend). The extra tokens (ship slots, character slots, etc.) can be broken down in to CP values roughly as follows:

3 ship slots: 600 CP per character
2 character slots: 500 CP
5 skill Respec tokens: 2000 CP (is this per character or per account?)
1 Vice Admiral Ship token: 1600 CP per character

Plus a few moderately-useful items that can not be acquired from the C-store such as the permanent skill point boost (2%-5% depending on which Veteran tier you have reached) and the extra 1k Dilithium refining per day.

In terms of C-point costs, then, the value of the veteran rewards is higher than the cost of the gold membership provided that you want to have all of those items anyway, especially if you are running several characters (since character slots themselves are part of the reward packages, and some of the rewards are awarded to every character you have). However, if you don't plan on buying VA ships or extra ship or character slots, then you aren't really coming out ahead on having a long-term Gold membership (as opposed to the popular practice of going Gold for just a couple of months in order to get the inventory slots and such for your initial few characters).
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker1988 View Post
already a lifetimer so this has no use for me.

still waiting for new missions Cryptic.

and no Doff Missions do not count I mean Storyline Missions
But Doff Missions = the NEW Storyline Missions !
Chain Missions ?
Heck , they are practically a mini-FE .
Foreal ! :p
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I am hoping this sale is going to be a prelude for better value of what some of us have spent on this Based on that post about they were discussing ways to put more value into it.
Closed Thread