Lt. Commander
# 51
06-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
After thinking about your wise and well thought out OP, I came up with a troubleshooting methodolgy that will help us narrow down the problem. It's petty simple and it only has 2 steps:

STEP 1: Identify the location of your keyboard.
STEP 2: Identify the location of your chair relative to your keyboard.

Somewhere between those two locations is the source of all of your problems.
surely the best troubleshooting idea of all time...awesome. Aplies to everything!
Lt. Commander
# 52
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelwys
There is no NPC "Redistribute Shields" button. If you manage to drop a NPC's shield facing you will not see them lower the other three facings to redistribute shield power to the dropped facing (exception: if they are one of the very few enemies which have an inherent "Tactical Team" ability).
Not true. the npc's do redistribute.

http://youtu.be/shpFN9vzIhw

That being said, now back to the op, I have no problem with this mechanic. The more complex the game the more options. At least they give us an option to do it in the first place. I know I wouldn't want my shields static.

I also don't know of too many people who have this issue. It sounds like you are in an exploration cruiser and with the that console arrangement you should be able to do a pretty good regenerative build keeping at least some shield facing up.

Shield tanking is an issue that most people have to figure out for themselves and I hope you find a way to adapt. This is just one mechanic designed to be part of the challenge and part of the fun!
Lt. Commander
# 53
06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Judas's Goat... does the OP think he is never supposed to die? Jeez... what a way to miss the game. Hell... some of the most fun I've had involved dying... surrounded by a crap-ton of enemies... fighting and using everything I had access to! Shield distribution is fine as is. Are there times I would like stronger shields? Sure, but then where is the actual strategy in having unbreakable sheilds? Where is the tingle knowing you might die? Hell... got popped hard, fast, and continuously from behind last night by a Klingon at Ker'rat. Shields and hull went bye-bye... no complaints.. was having fun trying to kill some borg and survive the Klingon skulking in the dark waiting to stab his toothless great great grandma in the back as she slept... chained to the bed.
Lt. Commander
# 54
06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
if manual shield distribution isnt good enough for you, why not use a key bind? if youre using the key bind and your shield distribution still isnt good enough, then too bad for you- mine is fine. i dont win all the time. and i dont complain.
Lt. Commander
# 55
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexin_Cobra View Post
Can the devs speed up the shield distribution rate? I always try to redistribute my shield strength to cover the hole punch in on one shield face, but it's too slow to keep up wit the rate of fire from cannons or beams.
redistribute shield power ability? its in the power window and will balance all your shield evenly... also you have tac team that is specifically to fill the hole made by weapons fire. you have other abilities besides depending on doffs. Also, you can use any of your arrow keys on your keyboard to strengthen a downed shield. You do have to put work into it, ya know. I find that I can keep up if I have +shield emitter traits in my equipment and consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 56
06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantregare
Hell... got popped hard, fast, and continuously from behind last night by a Klingon at Ker'rat. Shields and hull went bye-bye... no complaints.. was having fun trying to kill some borg and survive the Klingon skulking in the dark waiting to stab his toothless great great grandma in the back as she slept... chained to the bed.
Your letting your guard down in a warzone, don't blame the Klingon for taking advantage. And it's not like I don't see gangs of Feds camping the spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 57
06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Tried out manual shield distribution on my 'new' prototype Odyssey (that spent 4 months in a crate.)

In normal STFs and advanced difficulty PvE, manual shield distribution was adequate against single enemies. If an NPC manages to shoot one shield down below 20%, I can bring the downed shield back up to 80% in about 2 seconds by using the "Balance All Shields" function. The power from 3 healthy shield facings will be transferred to the weakened one at a very high rate.

It's when all your shield facings are shot to pieces at once or drained to zero (as can happen in PvP or Borg combat) that you need to use laat-ditch powerful shield regen options like RSP.

It is with RSP that you can creatively use the shield distribution function (arrow keys) to regenerate not just the shield facing absorbing fire, but all the shield at once.

How? Transfer shield strength away from the shield regenerating from RSP and in a couple of seconds your shields are all at 100% again. One shield facing cannot absorb and recycle the sheer amount of power you're receiving on that facing, so manually channel power to other facings to regenerate them. Clever, right?

Tactical Team knows how to distribute power to the shields under fire but it isn't as smart as a human manually distributing shields. Tactical Team does not know how to regenerate 4 shield facings at once using Reverse Shield Polarity, but the manual controls allow you to do just that.

So once again it's a matter of adapt and be creative. The game is complex for this purpose - so you can experiment and devise your own preferred tactics.

OP doesn't know what he's missing out from manual shield distribution...
Lt. Commander
# 58
06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Your letting your guard down in a warzone, don't blame the Klingon for taking advantage. And it's not like I don't see gangs of Feds camping the spawn point.
It's even more fun when the Fed spawncampers unwittingly assist you in repeatedly self destructing over all of their afk friends. I finished four dailies doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 59
06-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know what your problem is, but I fly the Defiant-R, and have some of the best DPS in the game. I have fought against A few Galaxy-R ships, and I can tell you that I can barely touch his shields! They are just to tanky. I flew a cruiser one time, and even as a tac was able to shield tank so well, that it took up to 3 ships to take me down. More if I would have been an eng. Have you tried running 2 copies of EPtS? How about having TT, and ST? Chain Science Team and Tactical Team. Do you have Transfer Shield strength? The Galaxy-R has a lot of eng Boffs abilities. Get 2 copies of RSP as well. Then get some Shield distribution Doffs. Maybe try a different shield? Have you tried maybe the MACO shield, or the Borg shield? What set are you using? Are you using the Jem'Hadar set, breen, borg, or aegis? Or are you combining two sets?

I have only been playing this game for a year and a half, and I can tell you that even I have found ways to always keep my shields up. All you need to do if find ways too. It can be done.
Lt. Commander
# 60
06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Sadly, what the internet needs is a sarcasm font! I know i let my guard down... i htought it was fun and even PM'ed said Klingon to say nice shot. As is, getting nailed in the butt didn't stop me from carrying off a really nice purple disrupter induction coil. ;-)