Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Mission Database
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
You know how hard it is to get 21,000 plays? I've bee releasing missions and advertising those missions everywhere I can since the foundry started. I just broke 800 plays on one that has been up since 2 weeks after the foundry went live. I have somewhere around 3,000 over nine missions.

Very few authors get in the 10s on thousands, and those authors are famous and have put forward the effort to make themselves famous. A contest with 11,000-1 odds probably won't cut it. Nice try though.
Lt. Commander
I've always been an idea man, grate ideas with out the direct skills to implement them... this is a test, I'm sure I could go about put the ship on the exchange for 70-80mill EC but I figured I'd try something new and I'm so far happy with the dialog that it's spawned thus far. I'd even say I'd drop it down to 1.07 mill Dt as was my original concept for only having one faction going after the ship. might lighten up the odds and get more to play.

Edit:
I went ahead and dropped the entries needed by half. so far besides my fleet admiral who play tested it once, I've gotten only one play/review and no tip of 100Dt... so it's not to late to take them down but I figured I'd give it a day or two.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I will play your mission right after I do my daily Foundry Challenge #3 Entry.

Not because I want the ship, but because I haven't seen the offer before and I think that makes it innovative. You aren't 'charging' us to play the mission, only to enter the draw. Like a raffle. You have told us enough info to work the odds out. I have never cared for odds msyelf - only transparency.

Unlike, say - the lockboxes.

It is awesome how the lockboxes are a huge money-pull for Cryptic - I honestly mean that, but I really wish they would release the info we need to be able to work out the odds. Or (insert all the other anti-lockbox arguments HERE)

Also - you didn't ask for a certain amount of STARS. You aren't trying to rig it. You only asked for a tip. I don't know why, but that struck me as reasonable. 100 dil will not be missed by me.

At the very least, it's an interesting way to generate publicity for your work, I suppose.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2012, 01:25 AM
The only flaw I can see with your contest here is that there is no end date. Personally 100 dil for the chance to win a ship is a no brainer for me, and it's a great way for you to get your missions recognized and for you to help your fleet when s6 launches. However, if you never get the 10k plays, then what no winner? Also adding an end date (even if you extend it a time or two) will create some urgency for people to enter and will probably help you gain more quicker or at all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-08-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm kind of skeptical that anyone has ever managed to earn that much dilithium in the Foundry. When I checked a few months back the people at the top were only around 250,000 or so, if i recall correctly. If we want to be generous maybe some have made it up to 400,000 or 500,000 now (I'm not so sure about that). There are only a couple of missions that have 10,000+ plays.

I think the idea is ok, but your goals are too high, and the amount of publicity you can generate about the "contest" is too low.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-08-2012, 02:08 AM
RedShirtJohnson, I just spent about a half hour trying to think of a diplomatic way to say this, and I think I've managed it:

I would not mind at all if you chose to expand on your story, as what there is is quite interesting. I feel as though you have the beginnings of a great idea. Many of us would actually be prepared to play an actual mission. Don't be scared to enhance what is already there!

Also, here are 2 things to consider:

- An end date might not be a bad idea - it may even inspire others to join in.

- Consider making it 50 dil.

You want to farm with The Foundry, that's cool and I get that. But please realise that a large part of me didn't want to give you the whole 100 (I still did though) - because I want to save the top tip for Authors who have obviously spent ages on their work. That's NOT an insult, just how I feel. If there were an option to give 150 dil, I would then feel better about giving you 100. I really hope that makes sense to you. I hadn't even thought about this side of things when I went started your mission, but there you go.

But DON'T get discouraged - you are bringing a freshness and trying something for the first time yourself - that is why I supported your idea, and I admire your willingness to 'get up and have a go'.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I can agree an end date would be a good way to go, the limited number of slots was kind of my take on that... I plan on expanding the story as I think I've got a really nice one lined up in my head (to be put down in notepad soon) but what I'd really like to do is hard to pull off because the fact the tech simply isn't in the foundry yet.

that being a timed relay mission across leading up to a prize at the end. my best example would be The Legend of Zelda: ocarina of time and the biggoron sword relay where one would have to run around and pick up an item for person A, exchange it for an item with person B, and so on and so forth until you're able to get the item that person A really needs, and in return gives you an item you can use.. it's much like the doff chains but with a real story element to them...

Drazur_Southclaw thank you for your input and the 100Dt ... I was happy to see someone played it and even put in for the drawing.

for those asking about what happens if the 10,700 play/tips are met.. the drawing would ideally be held until the asked amount of 1.07m Dt was met but I know that could take forever and by then who knows... the ship might be out on the C-Store by then... If something like that where to happen I'd end up taking the pool of names and drawing from who was there and award the ship at a loss on my end.

currently at last check Drazur_Southclaw would win the ship as they are the only entry... it would be a huge loss on my end and the odds of me being able to repeat the offer with another ship are so slim I'd have to really think about it if I did have another ship to offer up.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Just an update. I've taken down the missions. going to expand on the story and flush out the idea a little more then republish. I won't be voiding the list of names for the drawing it's only one so far but I'm a man of my words and Drazur_Southclaw will be included in any drawing for the ship less I'm directed by them to void it..
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Ummm actually that person is NOT the only one that entered. I had entered shortly after you announced this. Just saw your last post and wanted to give you a bit of a reminder.