Lt. Commander
# 21
06-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
with my own missions, the only ones that absolutely have to be played together are Atlas Affair part 1 and part 2, although arguably Dereliction Duty is part of that story arch (I tried to make it so playing it first wasn't absolutely required, although it is suggested). However, Perilous Prize is a standalone mission, even though it's in the same series.
Anyway, I just thought it might be worth mentioning that, in case you hadn't considered it. In any case, thanks for your effort.
I do have those connections noted regarding your missions, (which are also on The List), and I think that it's fantastic that you actually took the time to create two missions that are related to your 2-part series but can still be played out of context.

Right now, there is some discussion, (see above posts), regarding how to count a series in comparison to several standalone missions. What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, if you want my honest opinion, I'm not sure I understand the logic of counting a series of missions as being less than individual missions. It seems to me that a mission is a mission, regardless of whether it's connected or a standalone.

I mean if someone makes a five mission series, presumably they've spent about as much time as someone who made five single missions. I guess maybe the issue is that if one mission makes the list, then they all make the list? But by the same token if you create a series, you're taking the risk that with each mission fewer and fewer players can just pick up at that mission. It seems like there are pros and cons to both ways of making missions. And then there's the question of what's a series and what's not...

If you want to get technical, you could even consider whether mission length plays a part. Like maybe an hour mission counts as much as two half hour missions, since it has twice as much content. Or maybe it counts half as much because it's too long winded and the long mission's author took twice as much time to do what a shorter mission's author did with half the time. All joking aside, it does generally take longer to make longer missions, but I'm not sure it's practical to take length into consideration.

Obviously you need to try to keep the criteria as simple as possible, and it will never be entirely perfect. So, if I were you, I think I'd just count a mission as a mission for simplicity. But it's your list, and your call to make either way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
*** Wall Update ***

Congratulations To

DenizenVI*: New Spotlight Mission Author
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
06-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Actually, I think it can be important to judge an "Arc" vs stand alones. Let's take the Star Wars trilogy and the prequels trilogy.

We can judge them individually of course, but people would usually agree episodes 4,5,6 as a "Arc" is a fantastic story with a breakdown of 3 chapters.

The prequels on the other hand really sucked IMO except for Revenge of The Sith.

The overall judgement of that "Arc" is it was less than sub par compared to the original.
Ensign
# 25
06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
This is Allenburch.

Like kirkfat/kirksplat for "The SBUGC List of Great Missions" thread...I am unable to edit "The Wall" post.

I am communicating back and forth be email with PWE Customer Help regarding account linking errors and requesting to keep my forum @allenburch handle.

I am skeptical...
Career Officer
# 26
06-21-2012, 05:27 AM
You probably should just repost the thread. I doubt they're going to be able to help you. The whole forum transition seems like it's been basically a disaster. :frown: