Lt. Commander
# 21
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
when ever someone leaves they almost always get killed off for dramatic reasons as just being reassigned is kind of anticlimactic.
The Memory Alpha article on the episode "Tears of the Prophets" says that Ira Behr didn't consider that it would be good storytelling to kill her off, but they felt forced into doing it. I suspect that they were looking at keeping the Dax symbiont as a character element in season 7, and without Terry that would have meant a change of host, and background lore pretty much dictates that the previous host would have to die.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I liked them both, but Jadzia has always been my fav of the two - I hated it when she died. I wanted Worf to finally be happy, I guess I am just a born romantic that way. I was a bit disappointed with how naive' Ezri appeared to be, but was glad there was a Dax and glad she decided to stayt on DS9. Both ladies did a great job playing their roles.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
I think the problem was that she died because the writers decided someone needed to die, not for a good reason. In the end it was a lot like Tasha's death. Pointless.
Jedzia died because the actress left the show. In the end though Jedzia was the best, Ezri was cute, but Jedzia is the reason that all but one of my toons is a joined trill.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I also liked both, but if I had to choose I'd say Jadzia. I mean, you'd never see Ezri storming a compound with three Dahar Masters!

It's interesting to rewatch DS9, knowing where it went. Terry played Dax very different in the beginning. Much more alien than she was say post-season 2,
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Technically, wouldn't picking Ezri be picking both since she has the Dax symbiote... To be honest I like them both for different reasons though, I did find Ezri to be more approachable. Ezri had some big shoes to fill replacing someone in the last season. Also, keep in mind, Jadzia died because the actress (Terry Farrell) left to do Becker... :/
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
i'll have a ezri prime and a jadzia mirror ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
I think the problem was that she died because the writers decided someone needed to die, not for a good reason. In the end it was a lot like Tasha's death. Pointless.
No - her contract was up, and intsead of signing on for one more year (knowing it would be the last) - Terry Ferrell decided to look for what she considered more steady work (IE she wanted to get a recurring role on another series that had more than one year left) - and the DS9 Producers weren't happy with her decision, so they killed her off - knowing full well that they could keep the character going; but cuting off any chance of the actress changing her mind if the other auditions didn't land her a role somewhre else.

In the end, she ended up doing a multi year stint of Becker.

But, she wasn't happy with the way the 'parting' was handled; and that's why you didn't see Jadzia Daz in the Season 7 mointage shot and Terry Ferrell wopuldn't give them permission to freely use her likeness - she wanted to be paid a royalty since she was no longer under contract for DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdraftbrn View Post
i'll have a ezri prime and a jadzia mirror ;-)
I'd rather have Ezri mirror
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Ezri was cute, I love how that's the best anyone has to say about her. Ezri was no Jadzia that's for sure but I could draw a connection to Ezri where Jadzia was just there and didn't draw me in to the character as much. no personal growth feel to her. even when they tried to push the back story of the Dax... never been a fan of back peddling.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
The thing that bother's me most about Jadzia's death is that it was completely unecessay and done in a rediculous sideways manner.

They could have just as easily had the character be captured by the Dominion, or die gloriously in battle, or at least given her a sendoff episode. Instead, nope, one scene, toss the character out, move on.

Argh! Horrible.