Lt. Commander
# 1 Advice for wifi gaming please?
06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I recently got x-box live and ever since either STO runs extraordinarily slow and sometimes disconnects me from the server, or they (whoever is using the x-box) get disconnected, sometimes both of us deal with it. But before we lived here I used the same router, pc, isp, etc. while my room mate also played STO at the same time and we had no problems. Sometimes I play STO while my girlfriend watches netflix and either one of us are always having trouble or both of us are.

Does x-box live require more bandwidth? Is there any way I can fix this? I googled my arse off and found recommended channels and modes but that didn't seem to work.

Is my router junk? I'm using a Netgear wnr2000v3 btw, it's been updated and everything.

It doesn't seem it's always been like this, it seems like we've only had this trouble recently. I've called my ISP several times about the issue and they've never found a problem.

If we run only one at a time it runs great, but once we both start using the internet we screws up which kinda ruins the purpose of even having wifi.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
It comes with a bit of a high price tag, however the new D-link Amplifi HD 3000 router will actually separate the different data streams (Games, Movies, General) and accelerate them by priority. 2 computers, 1 xbox, and 1 wii can all run at the same time without any issues, and on top of that I'm almost 2,500 feet beyond the normal range of the dsl substation.