Start Mission

Map 1 - Fighters attack ship
Spawn at #1

Map 2 - Interior Base
Spawn at #2

Map 1 - Another set of fighters attack ship
Spawn at #3

The End

Since the custom map is so large I thought, "Hey why not use it again?" The problem is the mission starts at the 2nd encounter and skips Map 2 all together. I checked my settings and they have the correct groups and spawn points.

I will keep working at this...
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
You can't use the same map twice. You have to duplicate the first map and use the 2nd version for the 2nd use of the map.

Does that make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Yes I have done that in the past, but then I got this weird idea why wouldn't it allow you to recycle the map? I don't get any errors I expected. Instead it just jumps to the end. I am still working on it, let you know if I get positive results. This sort of thing would allow us to tweak the 10 map limit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I've experimented with this in the past and have had no success. The game quickly gets confused between spawn points and objective triggers that result in an absolute clusterf***.

There are some workarounds for the map limit. I know some authors have been able to create different shifting environments using disappearing/reappearing objects, but then you have to deal with the object limit.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I am giving up on this one. At one point I had just 2 maps and 4 enemies. The idea was; kill enemy 1 on map 1 move to map 2, kill enemy 1 on map 2 move to map 1, kill enemy 2 on map 1 move to map 2, kill enemy 2 on map 2 end of mission.

The thing kept allowing me to advance without killing anything and when it got to the end it started over. Infinite mission loop.

Oh well, at least it was fun trying.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Best of luck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
It's a shame really. The ability to reuse maps/objects/triggers would make it possible to make sandbox style missions. It would be even cooler if these settings could be persistent.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Edit: Sorry, miss-read the thread slightly in my haste.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu
Yeah, I am giving up on this one. At one point I had just 2 maps and 4 enemies. The idea was; kill enemy 1 on map 1 move to map 2, kill enemy 1 on map 2 move to map 1, kill enemy 2 on map 1 move to map 2, kill enemy 2 on map 2 end of mission.

The thing kept allowing me to advance without killing anything and when it got to the end it started over. Infinite mission loop.

Oh well, at least it was fun trying.
Infinite mission loop? I've got to try that!
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Yep, Infinite mission loop, i almost got this to work for me, i had a mission who has 10 maps, 1 map was a map to transfer to others, it was an alternate timeline thing. Because of the limit, i used the same map 6 times. Each time u went back to the map, u could go to any availible map and repeate that part. This was awesome to the feel of the mission as a mission with about 10 timelines. U could go to any timeline that was compleated at any time to say, find something u missed. Maybe information from an NPC.

So in theory this could be used to intergrate player interiors, Beam to bridge, Bridge Linked to Engineering, engineering linked to Crew deck, drew deck linked the bridge, brigde linked to enginerring engineering linked to bridge. There u go, an interior with Deck loops for a never ending interior.

If you do do this, make sure u properly label each dialouge for where it goes. The last map cant be the resued map either. Each time u return to this map, All options will be availible that uve done up to. For instance. Map 2 is the reused map, its Map 2 and 4. Map 2 leads to map, 3 which leads to 4, which leads to 5. now map 2 and 4 are the same, But... Map 2 will only lead to map 3. but map 4 will lead to maps 3 and 5 thru dialouges. so map 4 would lead to map 3 with the same dialouge used it map 2. Its possible to use objects to transfer maps to avoid this clutter (in theory)