Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP Weekly Update 06/08/2012
06-08-2012, 02:03 PM
PvP Weekly Update - 06/08/2012

Hello again everyone.

There are a few things to talk about this week, but letís start by discussing the concept of the ďWeekly PvP UpdateĒ thread itself.

When I started reading through all the PvP feedback in these forums one of the largest complaints I noticed was that the PvP community didnít feel like they had anyone listening to them. While this is not true, I can see why it seemed that way. As developers, we only have so much time during the day to interact with the community. Many of the developers read through the forums everyday as part of their normal routine, however, most wonít post on a topic unless they are directly involved in the creation (or maintenance) of a particular game feature (like PvP for example).

If the topic of a thread isnít really in our individual area of expertise, we generally just read through it and then pass it on to one of our colleagues (assuming of course there is good information in the thread). Iíve already explained in an earlier weekly update that PvP didnít really have an ďownerĒ until just a few weeks ago, so while Iím sure there were great threads with good information in them, there was really no one on the STO team to funnel that information to.

One of the other problems we have is that itís really easy to completely miss a great thread thatís filled with excellent feedback. There are just too many topics, and they change so often, that unless a developer spent all of his or her time reading through each and every thread every day, we are never going to see that information. We canít spend that much time reading the forums of course, because if we did we wouldnít be able to do our actual job developing things.

Brandon (BranFlakes) reads lots of posts on these forums, collects feedback, and sends it into the devs who are involved in the aspect of the game that is discussed in the thread. His ďadded to my list of feedbackĒ posts are actually passed along quite frequently. However, it's hard for him to know what might or might not be relevant depending on the topic at hand.

So, to solve at least a few of those problems, I created the Weekly PvP Update. I may not be able to read every thread every day, but I can make sure I read all of at least one thread completely on a weekly basis. That doesnít mean I can spend all of my time answering every question in that one thread though. I still only have so much time every day to complete my other work-related tasks.

I also realize that you guys want more information on the changes coming to PvP. However, at the moment, there really isnít that much to talk about. This will change in future updates as more of the new system falls into place. There will times where I have the basics of a new feature in place and Iíll look to the PvP community to tell me what they like or donít like about that feature, and then based on that feedback, Iíll adjust the new feature.

This weekly update is a good example to start with. It is a new feature in its own right. Some folks like the current weekly format and some donít think itís worthwhile because there isnít a huge amount of new information coming from it. I think the overall concept needs to stay because I feel itís helpful overall, but I can certainly change the format to one that has more information in it. I can post this monthly instead of weekly for example. Monthly updates will have a lot more information in them.

So, here is your first chance to change a PvP related feature Do you want me to continue the weekly updates or would you rather me do them monthly and have more things to talk about? The choice is up to you. Iíll be watching the feedback in this thread over the next week and go with the majority.

Okay, on to where we are at for this week:

I havenít made much PvP progress this week because Iím at a point right now in the process where Iím waiting on a little bit of software support. I have a couple of maps ready to test some of the new back end engine features, but the new ďScoreboardsĒ are not fully ready yet. The scoreboards tell the players lots of information about the match that is in progress. Some of the information is vital to the gameplay, and without it, testing the maps are somewhat pointless. They are not ready yet because the old scoreboards are all looking at a specific place for the relevant data, however the relevant data is coming from a new location now. There is also much more relevant data to track, but it just hasnít been hooked up yet.

At the moment, all of our programmers are focused on Season Six. I will get the software attention I need, but it probably wonít happen until after Season Six has been released. I know that this is kind of a bummer, but you really shouldnít look at it that way. In fact, as a PvPer, you should be very excited about Season Six.

Let me explain why.

One of the great things that comes with a complete re-design of a large system like PvP after a MMO has matured a little bit is that you can look at ways to tie in other new features or systems that have come along since the game has shipped: overall engine performance, cut scene improvements, voice over updates, Red Alerts, DOFFs, Events, Small Craft, etc. -- the list could go on and on. I can pull from all of these new things that didnít exist when we originally made the current PvP system and figure out cool new ways to tie them into the new design.

The new features you are getting with Season Six will open up lots of new avenues for me to look at in relation to PvP. Fleet Starbases just scream PvP to me, at least in some form. I donít know exactly how the Season Six updates will be used for PvP yet, but there is a great deal of potential there and that excites me, it should really excite you.

Thatís it for this week.

Have a good weekend.

Goz
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the post, Gozer.

As for the time between updates, weekly seems like it might be too frequent, but on a monthly basis, I think a lot of other people who don't frequent the forums as often will start feeling abandoned again. I would suggest an update every 2 weeks as a compromise.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
For me personally i look forward to the weekly updates but i think a monthly one might be more efficient. That is not a complaint just seems more practical to have a monthly post with everything that's going on like the engineering reports did (how i miss them ).

So instead of focusing on weekly updates it could free more of your time for other stuff.

That's my opinion anyhow.

Keep up the hard work gozer
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
some like weekly updates and some like monthly, i personally would like updates as u have them...if lets say this week u had lots of updates, then let us know, but lets say next week there aren't any, then dont...as it might distract u from what u are doing... im sure u noticed in previous threads even sivar opened a post last year with the entire pvp community giving feedback on balancing changes etc...im sure u might have the link if not im sure sivar wouldnt mind giving it to u
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Split the difference and do them once a fortnight
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I think if they were to be monthlies, they'd need more visibility, similar to State of the Game and Ask Cryptic. Otherwise, I'd prefer weekly. It's difficult to keep track of bi-weekly or monthly dates for casual forum users, I think, since there is no fixed day in the week associated with it, and most of our lives is structured around the work week.

Also, if you say that this helps keeping track of issues and getting feedback not just read once, but kept track of, weekly seems almost necessary - there is a lot of feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
_*_

Reserved for future comment.

S*D
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the post Gozer!

As for the frequency of posts, definitely keep doing it every week, even if you don't have a lot to tell us it will still matter.

The reason is in your post and that's that the community doesn't think yall are listening to us, but more importantly this has been something running for years, and there's a lot that needs doing to get the PvP community to believe that we have somebody's ear for once. I understand that yall read the forums everyday, but from an appearance standpoint we come to this forum and we might see 1 thread a month (or two months) if we're lucky that gets a Dev's response, whereas is we go into another forums we see the front page loaded with threads that have Dev responses in them and it just creates the feeling and atmosphere (among other things that are going on that I won't get into) that yall are not paying attention.

Just to give you an idea at how bad the relationship between the Dev's and PvP community is, it has been a running joke for about two years now in the OPvP channel that the Dev's don't play the game. That how much the old PvPers think the Devs pay attention to us and don't care about our feedback....

So yes please keep talking to us, keep responding even if it's just to say that you're thinking of doing X or Y but you're deciding, or w/e as long as you're talking and working with us

As for the additions to PvP with starbases and such, I assume that each fleet base will be it's own 'zone' like everything else in the game correct? Can you not just add on a function to enable PvP within the zone between fleets, and perhaps later add functions to allow fleets to raid for supplies or mission rewards?
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Bi-weekly is probably best. However in every single one of these we haven't even discussed one iota of an issue and seen a resolution to anything practically. I know.... I know .....season 6, Maybe we should just stop here and start the discussion again when you guys get your heads out of your arse dealing with launching season 6.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Thanks for the post Gozer!

As for the frequency of posts, definitely keep doing it every week, even if you don't have a lot to tell us it will still matter.

The reason is in your post and that's that the community doesn't think yall are listening to us, but more importantly this has been something running for years, and there's a lot that needs doing to get the PvP community to believe that we have somebody's ear for once. I understand that yall read the forums everyday, but from an appearance standpoint we come to this forum and we might see 1 thread a month if we're lucky that gets a Dev's response, whereas is we go into another forums we see the front page loaded with threads that have Dev responses in them and it just creates the feeling and atmosphere (among other things that are going on that I won't get into) that yall are not paying attention.

Just to give you an idea at how bad the relationship between the Dev's and PvP community is, it has been a running joke for about two years now in the OPvP channel that the Dev's don't play the game. That how much the old PvPers think the Devs pay attention to us and don't care about our feedback....

So yes please keep talking to us, keep responding even if it's just to say that you're thinking of doing X or Y but you're deciding, or w/e as long as you're talking and working with us

As for the additions to PvP with starbases and such, I assume that each fleet base will be it's own 'zone' like everything else in the game correct? Can you not just add on a function to enable PvP within the zone between fleets, and perhaps later add functions to allow fleets to raid for supplies or mission rewards?
lol.. how would you know if we were playing or not? I play all the time, but I don't do it on a Dev account. Every employee at Crytpic has a personal account. Very few even have Dev rights on Holodeck, and even those are tied to specific dev accounts that are separate from our personal accounts.

I personally have 4 Level Capped captains on my personal account.