Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Weapons Gripe!
06-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Simple Gripe about ground weapons.

A character with a sniper Rifle should be able to get off more then one shot before the enemy is already hitting them with a beam from a Pistol. Even with the Secondary, The moment you get the shot off the NPC is shooting at you Decently out of range of your ability with a pistol. I would Excpect a SNIPER rifle of all things, to do a Very Decent job at Sniping an Indiviual.. which is its main purpose. I am not saying OP it where it concerns player Vs Player, But Player Vs Environment.. If I get up to range with my Sniper Rifle, which is supposed to have a further distance shot according to what I have looked at with the weapons. The minute the enemy is hit and turns around, Before he runs foward, he is already at the same distance getting a shot off with a Pistol. This Irks me. Pistols, Rifles, and Sniper Rifles of all things should have a Very Decent range difference. I would Expect this to have of scaled into the future as we are in with this game. Some how I do not See a Sniper Rifle and a Disruptor Pistol trading blows at the same range. I would Expect to see that Squads rifleman hanging in the back or staging up while his team moves foward an engages while he plays Big Ranged Dammage Vs a slower firing time, even that has drastically fallen in todays world. Tho I do not see a Issue with a energy weapon firing back to back, I would Expect the energy charge needed for those powerful RANGED shots to be countered by a slower firing rate due to energy drains Vs Distance. Just an Oppion.

Any weapons you guys have issues with?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't necessarily believes there are mechanisms in place to distinguish a player from NPC.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm sure theres not, But I am sure theres a few tweaks to game code that could be made. But even with player vs player... Snipers should not be in a direct fire situation. Thats not how a sniper or his rifle is supposed to work.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I just don't like how most of them look like oversized nerf guns. The M.a.c.o. rifle is almost bigger than the captain that wields it. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
While I've only been playing a few months, I've always been ambivilent--at best--about the ground aspect of this game. I've had grenades tossed at me through walls several feet thick, and shot-been shot--through walls and such.

I agree that a sniper rifle should be a longer range weapon than it is. To balance things out, it should maybe be a weapon that requires careful aim in shooter mode, and a slower rate of fire. On the other hand, no, the enemy be it NPC or Human should NOT be able to tag you with a pistol 100% of the time. Maybe the lucky shot here and there... but accurately? From ranges you'll never be able to achieve with a pistol? No.

After several years of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the original C of D's, I expect something that at least vaquely resembles actual ballistics and such in ground fighting games. I don't expect STO to be 100% accurate, but seriously... a pistol ranging, or even outranging a rifle is just wrong... sloppy coding.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantregare
While I've only been playing a few months, I've always been ambivilent--at best--about the ground aspect of this game. I've had grenades tossed at me through walls several feet thick, and shot-been shot--through walls and such.

I agree that a sniper rifle should be a longer range weapon than it is. To balance things out, it should maybe be a weapon that requires careful aim in shooter mode, and a slower rate of fire. On the other hand, no, the enemy be it NPC or Human should NOT be able to tag you with a pistol 100% of the time. Maybe the lucky shot here and there... but accurately? From ranges you'll never be able to achieve with a pistol? No.

After several years of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the original C of D's, I expect something that at least vaquely resembles actual ballistics and such in ground fighting games. I don't expect STO to be 100% accurate, but seriously... a pistol ranging, or even outranging a rifle is just wrong... sloppy coding.
You're talking about ballistics with weaponry that fires a coherent beam of energy?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97
You're talking about ballistics with weaponry that fires a coherent beam of energy?
Ballistics may be overstating it... at least as regards energy weapons.. but let's be serious.. no.. a pistol energy or slug is NOT going to have the range and power of a dedicated sniping weapon.. which is what the OP was griping about.. and what i'm griping about. If you don't like the term "ballistics" insert "coherency" instead. In other words, a rifle, especially a sniper rifle is gonna have space to incorporate more--and better--stuff like focusing lenses, larger energy packs, better aiming... a coherent beam of energy may have a straight flight path, but the same things that apply to slug throwers are still gonna apply: a bigger weapon is gonna be able to do more damage, at a longer range.

As I also said, I'm wouldn't entirely rule out the "lucky shot" for the pistol tottin' NPC's/PVPers, but at least in the PVP case make it a Shooter mode/well aimed shot.

_tangential rant_ although, I do believe that more slug tossers shoulda been included in every version of ST.... just because.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-08-2012, 10:14 PM
STO is a very short ranged game, the longest ranged weapon doesn't have much advantage in this type of game when longest range seems like an extra ten meters.

While my maths are not 100% tested and more my gut feeling on the weapons it is pretty accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
The only thing I would like to see is being able to equip my Boffs with a ranged AND a melee weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2012, 10:21 AM
The meaningless term "sniper rifle" has always irked me in this game. Even today, you can make a rifle that can kill at a mile's distance, but in the 24th Century, after the invention of warp power and transporters, nobody can make a sniper's rifle that's only slightly better ranged than anything else? Seems like an easy fix.