Lt. Commander
# 11
06-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Well, I'm definitely going to lose a lot if "This Component Complete" and "Objective In Progress" are deleted - half of my mission is built around stuff like that
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
The ideal way for Cryptic to handle this would be to allow existing published missions to retain "vestigial" triggers like these and simply not allow them to be added any more. How "ideal" their thinking is being another matter.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflamingo2
The ideal way for Cryptic to handle this would be to allow existing published missions to retain "vestigial" triggers like these and simply not allow them to be added any more. How "ideal" their thinking is being another matter.
You know, this could already be the case? I haven't read everything, and may have missed it in one of the other threads in the tribble sections where the said how they'd be treating already published missions. But, it could be that the changes only apply retroactively to missions you attempt to republish via the editor?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Hello again boys, I only have one mission on my account I hope it won't be infected too badly. I will say this again here. This is why we need an advanced editor to edit those scripts and not just a fancy GUI. IF Cryptic Programmers hear this, we need a no thrills text only advanced option so we can make rapid changes to the missions. -- That is my opinion.

Now my hubby said this;
"In the past, I have made changes to software this in essance made some options (for the most part unused) unavailable. When I did, I made certain that the updated software was backwards compatible. I can only hope the programmers of Star Trek Online are cut from the same cloth."
Ok backwards compatible sounds good to me. So I am going to just cross my fingers. When exactly will these changes occur? Do we have a date?
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Scrapping "Objective Complete" is going to be a big pain in the hoohoo. I don't understand why it's being removed just because it doesn't work for some things, it's working for others. And the things it's not working for surely are worked around in general? It just seems as though functionality is being removed for the sake of tidyness.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Do the devs look at these posts? Because it would be very nice if one of them could weigh-in here and let us know how this is going to be handled since it could, potentially, cause a lot of grief if suddenly thousands of missions became unplayable because they were loaded with now dead triggers.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Just to clarify, Objective Complete and Objective In Progress are only being removed from dialogues (where they have never worked properly). They are still there for everything else.

My complaint is that since the functionality works fine with everything else, I have a hard time seeing how it could not be fixed for dialogues, too. It seems to me it should just work like every other trigger. Every other trigger works with dialogues, and all the triggers work with objects, so how can it really be that hard to fix?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Also, in regards to "This Component Complete". I had a dialogue in a mission on Tribble that was previously set to Objective Complete, which was removed for dialogues. The editor generated an error message saying I needed to pick a valid trigger.

So, I think that this probably would be the case with "This Component Complete" as well. At worst it will probably give you an error message so you know what to fix.

Edit: It looks to me like This Component Complete still exists as an option, too. So, as far as I can tell it has not been removed (unless it's not there when you start a new project, as I was using an existing one).
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Well good, that puts a lot of my fears at rest. Especially since I only realized my mistake with "This Component Complete" and "Component Complete" earlier today. So this means the only thing they are really getting rid of is the one thing that never worked and we already had a workaround anyways. Awesome.

@docflamingo2
Yes, the devs look at these posts. The fact these changes we are seeing are ones we've been asking about, repetitively. As for your fears, as Nag just pointed out, none of these losses will effect anything currently implemented as the primary things being removed are ones that don't work anyway. That is, "Component Complete" in regards to pop up dialogs.

Everything else will work fine, and should not break currently implemented missions. HOWEVER, considering this is a years work of updates hitting us at once, it would probably be a good idea to temporary pull our missions before launch as a safety precaution unless something unexpected shows up.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Ah, thanks for allaying my fears there Nagorak.