Lt. Commander
With the exception of a few understaffed specialties I have very little need for white or green Doffs.
If my unwanted doffs have any of the appropriate traits I of course bung them into one of the officer exchange programs.

Which leave me with what to do with the ones with none of those traits.
Up until now I have generally dumped them into the various "reassign under performing officer" missions once I had 5 of them but I'm starting to wonder if this is such a good idea.

You get a blue Doff in exchange but its random. . . could be something utterly useless. I wonder if I'd be better off trying to sell them all on the exchange and buy a blue I might actually need.
I'm not sure if it would yield enough EC though?

A green doff generally goes for between 60k and 250k depending on what it is, from selling 5 you might expect to get 500,000+ EC (maybe more maybe less). This often wouldn't be enough to buy a decent blue Doff. And of course you have to wait for them to sell . . . . .

So whats ppls experience? Exchange or Reassign?

I'm not in a position where I want to ditch Blue Doffs yet, but it seems to me those reassign missions would be stupid, 5 blues would easily add up to one purple at standard exchange prices. . . probably 2!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-11-2012, 04:22 AM
That random ascept of the Reassign mission is exactly why I don't do it; if I want a specific type of Doff, I find it and get it.

If you're making money off selling the green Doff's, then you should continue doing so. As for the white's, every Doff has a dismiss button in the roster. Doing so will send them back to Starfleet (permanantely), and you will get a dilithilum and Recruitment XP bonus, which changes on the quality on the dismissed Doff.

Sending white Doff's this way gives you 75 dil and 10 Recruit XP per doff (150 and 25 for green, should you choose to dismiss a green one)

Hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban149
I'm not in a position where I want to ditch Blue Doffs yet, but it seems to me those reassign missions would be stupid, 5 blues would easily add up to one purple at standard exchange prices. . . probably 2!
Depends entirely on the doffs. How many people are going to pay a decent sum of EC for an Aggressive/Stubborn Chef? Seriously? Think you could make enough EC from selling 5 of them to buy a purple DOff you actually need? What about Aggressive/Stubborn Traders? Bartenders? Diplomats? Advisers? Entertainers? You can't send civilians through the Officer Exchanges (doesn't stop them from giving you a civilian back), so the only thing you can do is either sell them on the exchange or use the reassignments.

Here is what I typically do:

General White DOffs: send through reassignment

White DOffs with Resolve or from certain desired professions: get sold on the exchange. I can usually sell a single resolve DOff for about enough EC to buy 8 cheap undesired white doffs. Prices are plummeting now due to the Gamma Quadrant Cadre special though. After they are gone entirely, white resolve doffs will likely increase in price past where they were before the special.

Green ones with mixes of bad traits or from undesired professions I send through reassignment.

Green ones picked up through commendation ranks: These get sent through the officer exchange assignments where at least a green is always guaranteed, regardless of if they have good traits for the assignment or not. Worst case scenario I get a different green that can at least either be sold on the exchange, passed down to a newer officer, or can be used in reassignments. Other than dismissing them, there's nothing else you can do with these officers considering they are bound and cannot be used for reassignments.

Other green ones get passed on to my newer characters.

Blues that are highly undesired (such as aforementioned Chefs) get sent through reassignment. Other blues will get passed down to newer officers, but I'm not in a position yet to pass along even semi-useful blues at this point. My character furthest along in the DOff system still has about 30% greens in a roster of 175, the rest blues and purples. Once I've finally gotten rid of her last green, I'll worry more about replacing blues.

The DOff reassignment system is a lottery. If you don't like to gamble, don't use it. Considering you have a good chance of getting a DOff back with Resolve, and at least a reasonable chance of getting a more useful higher quality DOff, I like to send almost all of my really undesired officers through it. I've gotten a lot of unusual officers back, like Resolve/Tactful Vulcan Security/Armory Officers that lack the usual Vulcan Stubborn trait. Also Logical/Resolve Klingon officers that lack the usual Aggressive trait.

If you haven't noticed: There's a lot of really high CXP paying assignments in a lot of the categories that either require resolve doffs, resolve gives a bonus critical success chance, or where resolve increases both the success chance and the critical success chance.

Resolve DOffs are highly desired, and once the Gamma Quadrant packs are gone there will be one less way to acquire them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
All qualities of duty officers, including white and green, will be inputs for fleet starbase advancement. The intention was to create more of a longterm market for lower quality duty officers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
All qualities of duty officers, including white and green, will be inputs for fleet starbase advancement. The intention was to create more of a longterm market for lower quality duty officers.
So will we then loose them like the "Consulate" Doff missions? Or do they come back? Or will there be both kinds of missions?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
So will we then loose them like the "Consulate" Doff missions? Or do they come back? Or will there be both kinds of missions?
Currently, all of the ones planned for launch are lost (read, permanently assigned).
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:

Will bound and other officers not eligible for tradeups be inputs?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't it be more logical to set this "ingredient" up like a very long term assignment? Say for the duration of the project?

You send them to the starbase for work and if the project / upgrade is done they return. Perhaps even with a chance to come back in a better quality (because you know, they learned a lot during the assignment lol)
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
Will bound and other officers not eligible for tradeups be inputs?
We are still working out the specific exclusions. Because the rewards for the fleet system are robust, however, we have to be cautious in opening the door to potential exploits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS_C1n1n
Wouldn't it be more logical to set this "ingredient" up like a very long term assignment? Say for the duration of the project?

You send them to the starbase for work and if the project / upgrade is done they return. Perhaps even with a chance to come back in a better quality (because you know, they learned a lot during the assignment lol)
One of the functions of the system is for it to serve as an economic sink for duty officers. Lacking a proper sink is one of the things causing certain inflationary and deflationary tendencies in the exchange market for duty officers. With the presence of a more robust sink, the negative impact of this on players can be reduced.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
We are still working out the specific exclusions. Because the rewards for the fleet system are robust, however, we have to be cautious in opening the door to potential exploits.

One of the functions of the system is for it to serve as an economic sink for duty officers. Lacking a proper sink is one of the things causing certain inflationary and deflationary tendencies in the exchange market for duty officers. With the presence of a more robust sink, the negative impact of this on players can be reduced.
I'm unsure how you expect that to work, a rubbish quality white doff sells for a bare minimum of 30kEC at the moment on the exchange, purely because you get Dilithium for dismissing them, with the starbase system requiring large inputs of both doffs and dilithium the only way that price is going is skywards, and rapidly.

It's enough of a pain in the backside getting doffs for specific departments at all, nevermind with specific traits or qualities, I fail to see how drastically ramping up the exchange prices for doffs will reduce any negative impacts.