Lt. Commander
# 21
06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
The re-build of the “No-Win Scenario” is excellent!!!! It is exactly what I had hoped it would become; an actual challenge!

If Cryptic Studios / Perfect World decide to tweak it again, to again make it easier, I’m going to most likely delete the game off of my computer and be done with Star Trek Online entirely. I’m sick and tired of content designed around the cognitive discipline of a twelve year old. Cryptic, please, throw us adults a bone, would you? Keep the “No Win Scenario” extremely difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
You guys are doing a really good job of talking this up! Could someone describe, for those of us who haven't been to tribble to check recently, just what it is that makes this No Win Scenario so exciting? I have to admit that all I'm imagining is wave after wave of huge swarms with insane critical hits. Do these NPCs have healing and resistance skills? Do they stack damage skills? Can they use more than 4-5 bridge officer/captain skills like players?
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I really wish that the challenge will stay as it is. It is a no win scenario after all.

But common sense tells me otherwise. The majority of players out there that run that rainbow boats and don't read chat will start crying about how stupid the mission is and how they can't pass wave 2, or how there is no "special reward" after that or something like that.
And the crying will continue until eventually turning the no win scenario into a defensive version of Gorn Minefield or something like that.

My hopes are that this doesn't happen, and the no win scenario remains a nice PvP trainer (hell I could use one), but if so, I don't see the mission being a very popular PUG.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-12-2012, 07:29 AM
It's only doable to finish the whole mission with a properly set-up tactic and when all 5 players have the appropriate gear/set/abilities and have their ship fully finetuned.

It's not going to work with a bit of add this here, replace a ship there. It does help a bit by trying to find a tactic that works better but that will get you only to wave 8 at most.

But aside from that, its really a great test for the NoobVE'ers and RP'ers and I hope they also see that Tactic and teamwork is more fun then they might possible have thought, and hopefully this will be good for PvP in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
You guys are doing a really good job of talking this up! Could someone describe, for those of us who haven't been to tribble to check recently, just what it is that makes this No Win Scenario so exciting? I have to admit that all I'm imagining is wave after wave of huge swarms with insane critical hits. Do these NPCs have healing and resistance skills? Do they stack damage skills? Can they use more than 4-5 bridge officer/captain skills like players?
The best part of it is, hale, despite what many people think, only the warheads are instapoppers. It is not like in the old STF's where u would just pop out of nowhere. With a bit of good movement and piloting you can overcome those missiles and kill them before they kill you.

The only thing with the mission is though, they are still lifeless NPC's without intelligence, and while 1 species are perfectly doable to get to Wave 8, others will only let you come to Wave 5/6. (Subnuke spam and what not) thats why the scenario is totally out of balance in that aspect still.

The best thing of the whole scenario again is that it shows that not every Sci ability is under powered now. We are talking about Sci being nerfed now, and that might be true of some aspects, but it also shows that Sci skills like Tractor Beam Repulsor, Subnuke, Viral Matrix, etc is still very effective for a success or failure, no matter it being used on our side or the NPC side.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-12-2012, 09:00 AM
For those that missed it... Here is part of my post in the Tribble forum concerning the missions difficulty.

I'm pretty happy with the Wave 01 - 05 difficulty at the moment. I doubt that part of the mission will change much if any before the mission goes to Holodeck.

Waves 06 - 10 still need a little work at the moment, but any changes to those waves will increase difficulty. This part of the mission will only get harder not easier.

Gozer

Mission Difficulty –

Originally, the mission was designed for a wider level range of players (level 20-50). The first few waves (Waves 01 – 04) of this mission were not that difficult by design (giving lower level players a chance to learn the mission). After the mission was created however it was decided to make this mission only available to level 50 players. With the change of this parameter the “warm_up” waves aren’t really needed. At level 50 we don’t really need the mission to hold your hand for the first few min.

Wave_01 of the mission is now where Wave_04 of the mission was previously in the difficulty curve.

Mission Difficulty / Expectations

This mission is designed for two different types of teams.

Wave_01 – Wave_05 – Random Pugs through the PVE Queue. The expectation is that the mission will take these types of teams 15-20 min and the rewards per wave will be adjusted to reflect this. Let me break it down a little further for you.

Completing Wave_03 – Pretty much everyone who plays.
Completing Wave_04 – 60- 70% of Random PUG groups on Holodeck.. ( Holodeck is different than Tribble, just FYI)
Completing Wave_05 – 25-35% of Random PUG groups (basically Wave_05 is a little harder than your normal Elite STF Mission)

While the mission is on Tribble I will be balancing it so that Waves_01-05 are as close to the metrics above as possible. It may take a few patches to get this exactly where we want it, but this is what you can expect by the time this mission goes to Holodeck.

Wave_06 – Wave_10 – These waves are designed for pre-made teams and people that play together often. They exist to provide a challenge to players / teams who want that extra amount of challenge. If this is only 1% to 2 % of our current player base that is by design. These waves are not about the rewards, in fact it will be much better for the players (time-wise) to start again after Wave_05 if you are only going for the “Fleet Marks”. These last 5 waves are made specifically for pre-made / very experienced teams all using the best possible gear available.

While the mission is on Tribble, I will be balancing it so that Waves_06 -07 are where even the most experienced players in STO start to have difficulty completing these Waves. A very good team who plays together often should have trouble getting past Wave_06 and few if any should get past Wave_07 while on Tribble. Again, this will probably take a few balance passes on Tribble to get the Mission where we want it, but this is what you can expect to see by the time it goes to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
This sounds frickin' sweet! I like the thought process and the planned continued tweaks. That's exactly what I hope we can look forward to seeing with PvP when works starts on that!

Updating tribble now. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look for myself in the next few days.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a ground version even in the works. That'd make my day.

Unless I missed such an announcement.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a ground version even in the works. That'd make my day.

Unless I missed such an announcement.
And we'll only win if we sing Men of Harlech first.

I can't wait to check this out though, although the few times I've jumped on Tribble recently there's been nobody about.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-13-2012, 04:51 AM
My gawd what have they done ??

If stfs arnt mind numbing boring as they are they go and make a fleet action ur not ment to complete ,,,,

Space bar bash bash bash and more bash and bash again and again and again ave a bash for good luck ,,, extend extend ,, man this new akira is great for this bash bash bash extend ,,,,,

Yawn
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
For those that missed it... Here is part of my post in the Tribble forum concerning the missions difficulty.

I'm pretty happy with the Wave 01 - 05 difficulty at the moment. I doubt that part of the mission will change much if any before the mission goes to Holodeck.

Waves 06 - 10 still need a little work at the moment, but any changes to those waves will increase difficulty. This part of the mission will only get harder not easier.

Gozer

Mission Difficulty –

Originally, the mission was designed for a wider level range of players (level 20-50). The first few waves (Waves 01 – 04) of this mission were not that difficult by design (giving lower level players a chance to learn the mission). After the mission was created however it was decided to make this mission only available to level 50 players. With the change of this parameter the “warm_up” waves aren’t really needed. At level 50 we don’t really need the mission to hold your hand for the first few min.

Wave_01 of the mission is now where Wave_04 of the mission was previously in the difficulty curve.

Mission Difficulty / Expectations

This mission is designed for two different types of teams.

Wave_01 – Wave_05 – Random Pugs through the PVE Queue. The expectation is that the mission will take these types of teams 15-20 min and the rewards per wave will be adjusted to reflect this. Let me break it down a little further for you.

Completing Wave_03 – Pretty much everyone who plays.
Completing Wave_04 – 60- 70% of Random PUG groups on Holodeck.. ( Holodeck is different than Tribble, just FYI)
Completing Wave_05 – 25-35% of Random PUG groups (basically Wave_05 is a little harder than your normal Elite STF Mission)

While the mission is on Tribble I will be balancing it so that Waves_01-05 are as close to the metrics above as possible. It may take a few patches to get this exactly where we want it, but this is what you can expect by the time this mission goes to Holodeck.

Wave_06 – Wave_10 – These waves are designed for pre-made teams and people that play together often. They exist to provide a challenge to players / teams who want that extra amount of challenge. If this is only 1% to 2 % of our current player base that is by design. These waves are not about the rewards, in fact it will be much better for the players (time-wise) to start again after Wave_05 if you are only going for the “Fleet Marks”. These last 5 waves are made specifically for pre-made / very experienced teams all using the best possible gear available.

While the mission is on Tribble, I will be balancing it so that Waves_06 -07 are where even the most experienced players in STO start to have difficulty completing these Waves. A very good team who plays together often should have trouble getting past Wave_06 and few if any should get past Wave_07 while on Tribble. Again, this will probably take a few balance passes on Tribble to get the Mission where we want it, but this is what you can expect to see by the time it goes to Holodeck.
Gozer, we reached wave 9 last night thanks to some of the best healing tanking i've seen from an individual. Proof, I'm sure you've been big brother on this some how but MT has a screen grab. Please see our suggestions on the official thread and can we have a response to them.