Lt. Commander
# 1 Does Voyager get any better?
06-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I finally got around to watching DS9 all the way through and just finished that last episode. I've started on Voyager and I'm somewhere in the middle of the first season and I've gotta say, it's been rather disappointing so far.

It just seems like such a really boring series, too much technobabble(even for Star Trek), I can't relate to the characters what so ever, there doesn't seem to be much story other than "hey, this might get us home.... Oops, spoke too soon..." and frankly, I think Janeway is an idiot and how she got command of a star ship baffles the crap outta me.

It just doesn't seem very interesting so far but I remember DS9 kinda had a slow start too. So, does Voyager pick up at all? Do they completely ruin the borg like everyone says? Am I going to cringe and lose a little respect for Star Trek in general if I continue watching this series? Am I wasting my time?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Ruin is a bit strong.

The show does have its moments but it is arguably the second weakest series (weakest being Enterprise). Still, some like it and even prefer it over other series.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-11-2012, 09:07 PM
It kept 8 million people. So it did something right. There are episodes that do suck. Threshold is the worse offender. But there are some really good episodes during season 2 and 3. Wait for those. But when they start the Borg stuff, you will hate voyager for abusing their usage. I highly recommend all the Q episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Season 1 of all the Series start off a bit week. Yes it gets better, around the time 7 of 9 gets introduced. It's a bit of shock finishing DS9 that was a bit gritty Star Trek, and then watching a squeaky clean Federation show.

Yes I agree Janeway is an idiot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Janeway is a idiot that couldn't think of a thing called a detonation timer.

Tuvok: It will take some time to get the program access.
Janeway: Well screw that. Lets just blow the array, to protect the ocampa.
Tuvok: but sir. We can set a bomb to auto...
Janeway: Not now. I'm kicking kazon ***.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Well... Sort of... Voyager is a rollercoaster of quality, some episodes show the greatness of trek, others.... make Lost look reasonable... It had and interesting premise... but soon became tired and bland through execution. It gets really good toward the middle then just gets technobably again and the borg become lame, and we get the laziest (intentional) series finale in all of trekdom.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Voyager is an uneven series season 1 was a bit weak.

Season 2 is a bit better but still has dud episodes ever now and then. Season 3 the show picks up its stride and keeps it when they go through season 5 to 6. There are still dull episodes. Characters like Kim who get no growing up,Tuvok just a run of the mill Vulcan, goody to shoes Kes ugh hated her. Seasons 6 and 7 is where the show loses steam as they start having more dull episodes and more Borg episodes. By the finale part 1 was really good, but part 2 is when it went to hell.

True Janeway is not the best Captain and is at times out commanded by Chakotay and the viewers. Avoid most Kess episodes and focus on the actual series.

7 of 9 and the Doctor are probably the most interesting characters of the show.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Nope, just a different kind of lame. Starts out with a lot of 'oh good lord who WRITES this?' Later when they drop Kes and pick up Seven, it basically turns into the Seven Of Nine show starring Trek's ultimate Mary Sue. And the problem with the Borg is that, to make them a survivable villian-of-the-week, they get a serious downgrade from near-force-of-nature to dangerous-but-beatable. Personally I thought Enterprise was much stronger than Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
So, does Voyager pick up at all?
Once they start focusing on Seven and the Doctor, it does. But since it was just "Pale TNG" through all of it's run you won't be writing home about it even after that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
It's thoroughly mediocre. There are great episodes, and some terrible ones. In general, though, there isn't NEARLY as much character development in Voyager as there is in any other series.