Lt. Commander
# 1 Profiles are a bit strange...
06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Just now I noticed, if you click your name or mine on this forum, you end up in a near-beer version of Facebook. It took me a bit just to figure out where and how I had got lost from the STO forum. :redface:

Since I once tried my hand with JD and FW they show my moldy old characters on there... that is somewhat embarrassing. But there is no mention of this game because it dumps you out on core instead of STO. I really wish I could figure out how to delete that part of it. I mean the JD and FW characters not the profile.

Well I posted my face up if you care to look. I find it a tiny bit weird I can have 5MB photos on there but still no avatar on here? Weird.... I also entered the standard junk in the fields; DOB, Favorite PC game, Favorite console game, Favorite Movie, Favorite musician, Favorite TV Show. So do you think anyone pays attention to this stuff? I sure don't. I mean I could care less about 25 character biographies. I could care less if you like marching bands and speeches by Nixon.

I think it is weird that so many companies are cloning the FB pages. If you haven't noticed this take a look. I mean I got Google plus but I don't even use it. Do we need so many profiles running all over the internet? I think if your name on this forum links to a profile, it should say you are playing STO and not some other game you gave up and uninstalled months ago.

The tabs at the top of this one say News, Wall, and Guilds. Not fleet. I belong to a fleet but it doesn't register. I wonder if they ever will link it up? It would be cool to have gone in there and seen Zazapalooza or Skoodge in there instead of old characters I no longer play. It has a FB connect under my picture but I don't know if I trust PWE enough with my FB account.

That would be like giving Google your cell phone number. Why does Google want my cell phone number? Can I have theirs? No, I can't even call customer support. Remember when Google used to be so cool? Then they went and messed up YouTube, I don't even recognize my account anymore. They added backgrounds to look more Bing-like. But I don't even use Bing... heck anything made by Microsoft has to be screwy.

I mean look at Vista, they actually had to lie to people and call it Mohave just to get them to use it. I think XP was pretty good, I used it from 2001 to 2009 and when I got my laptop I couldn't use Vista hardly at all and not even a few years and out pops Windows 7...

So I doubt I will use this profile feature much at all. After all I have my user profile on the wiki which I added the link in my signature. But you will have to copy and paste it since they don't allow links in the signature but they allow them in the body of the post like this;
stowiki.org/User:Sanduku_tupu isn't that weird too?

Oh my look at the time, 4:30 in the morning and I haven't been to bed or taken any of my meds yet.

Goodnight!
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Captain
# 2
06-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Interestingly I find the PWE core thing to be a superb replacement for IM and facebook, or websites for fleet management. I never liked facebook groups for fleets, IM is troublesome, and websites for small fleets like mine are useless because they have low traffic naturally.

Now, if I want to post fleet related RP or articles I just post a forum link in PWE Core. I also have shipbuilding and strategy discussions with the PM feature on Core where they are nicely categorized and safe from public eye when controversial experimental builds are evaluated.

With Core I can have STO-specific friend's lists and I don't need to give out or obtain any personal information from fleet members. It is a social media platform simply for gaming alone and for that functionality alone it's perfect for my needs.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Empire Veteran
# 3
06-27-2012, 03:28 AM
My PWE core is empty and dreary. I have no characters. Nothing! It is as if I don't play STO every day. It is as if I have never played STO.

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Rihannsu
# 4
06-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Mine's nothing but my PWI characters from many years ago.

It was either Branflakes or Darthpanda that said they were working on integrating STO into Core so us STO players have a reason for the thing.
Captain
# 5
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

It was either Branflakes or Darthpanda that said they were working on integrating STO into Core so us STO players have a reason for the thing.
That's why we're getting all the 10 day account warnings that folks are complaining about.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

Common sense would have dictated this be done at the time of changing over to the new *cough* forums, but it seems to be something that was seriously lacking in the thought process of that implimentation...
Rihannsu
# 7
06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
Common sense would have dictated this be done at the time of changing over to the new *cough* forums, but it seems to be something that was seriously lacking in the thought process of that implimentation...
Welcome to my nightmare...
Career Officer
# 8
06-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post

Who ever said the Human race Cryptic/PW was logical?
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Career Officer
# 9
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I would imagine STO will eventually be added to CORE - it originally started with just Jade Dynasty, ESO, PWI and maybe BOI (my memory may be wrong on this) but now they added Forsaken World and WOI.

If they do add STO and CO hopefully they will also add the tokens so you can buy items for in game items just by playing the game and building up achievement points, e.g

character type achievements (Level a Science Officer to 50, Level a Tactical Officer to 50, etc or Reach Diplomacy Rank 1,2,3,4 etc)

Economic type achievements (Have 50,000 dilithium, Have 100,000 Dilithium, 500,000 etc)

PVP (Get your First Kill, Get 50 Kills, Get 100 Kills, Get 250 Kills, Get 500 Kills etc)

Mission (Complete 10,50,100 etc Unique Missions, Complete 10,50,100,etc Unique User Generate Missions, Complete 10,50,100,etc STF, Complete 10,50,100,etc Fleet Defences etc)

Social (Join a Fleet, Create a Fleet, Become Officer in Fleet, Become Leader of Fleet etc)

General(Logged in for 12 hours Straight, Logged in for 24 Hours Straight, Log in once a day for 7 days straight, 14 days straight, 21 days straight etc,)

In Game: @Liath | STO Join Date: Jan 2012 | PWE Join Date: Feb 2009
Rihannsu
# 10
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiledon View Post
I would imagine STO will eventually be added to CORE - it originally started with just Jade Dynasty, ESO, PWI and maybe BOI (my memory may be wrong on this) but now they added Forsaken World and WOI.

If they do add STO and CO hopefully they will also add the tokens so you can buy items for in game items just by playing the game and building up achievement points, e.g
BOI wasn't out yet, but it wasn't too shortly before that came out. I wouldn't mind have some things in STO to spend my 395 points on. I also wonder why I don't have some of the achievements I should on my PWI profile (like I have the 250pvp kills one but none of the ones leading to that), but oh well.

Last edited by poison; 06-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.