Lt. Commander
# 11
06-14-2012, 02:29 AM
You could also spec in a way that snares wouldn't snare you as much.

As for it not being possible, who's to say tractors beams work like a rope or cable? Maybe they also employ some sort of dampening field that messes with subspace...it could happen, even if it seems weird.

And thirdly, it's a game. If we used newtonian laws then space combat wouldn't even be possible.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Like I said, theres tonnes of things in STO that are stretched and that is fine because its sci-fi fiction. But tractors on pets is game breaking because it gives you 10k range constant snares. Not to mention the advanced bays have chronitons.

Getting snared in general means you have reduced speed-> reduced defence->taking more damage.
Reduced movement means your ability to show other shield facings is diminished, allowing others to focus on the weak side.

Chronitons, regular tractors and target engines are fine, since you give up powers or weapon slots to use them.

Real tractors take up valuable science boff slots whereas having a fighter bay with Runabouts is a tradeoff for a little bit of damage if you ran Stalkers.

Its the same reason why some P2W consoles are taboo, but their equivalent Boff powers are "legal".

Im specced into 84 inertial dampers with +18 from the Omega Deflector and I still get slowed on my small ship and large ship.

Why should a fighter with a tractor be able to hold a carrier when a gravity well (mini black hole?) cant.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
If you are a carrier, or massive cruiser (like the Bortas), as the OP said. You aren't going to be moving fast enough to switch shield directions.

At the same time, if you are a smaller ship OP's complaints are removed.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmystic View Post
actually the kids would hit you where you dont wanna be hit while trying to grab your leg you bend forward and break your nose as the kids swarm you and tie you up like you are gulliver. Seriously you would think you could mow them over but it really hurts doing that even when they are 30 pounds and your 300.
Incorrect sir as I have ran straight over my cousin while growing up and I was only 5 years older than him.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyoga
Incorrect sir as I have ran straight over my cousin while growing up and I was only 5 years older than him.
Is your cousin a mob of kids trying to hold you back/still?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
we're not talking about simple ropes and chains here, Tractor beams work by manipulating gravity, thus the stopping power of the beam is not necessarily congruent to the mass of the emitting ship.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Here's a radical countermeasure I want you all to consider, it's crazy I know but hear me out... shoot the pets. Seriously they take like two salvo to kill and if you have fire at will or scatter volley you can clear them in like five seconds and he has to wait like 30 to launch another set.

Or I suppose you could keep whining about them I suppose, but I'm not sure that will be very effective.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-15-2012, 09:17 PM
2 bays x 2 squadrons x 2 fighter per squadron = 8 fighters.
You shoot them, and 4 more pop out in another 20 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Here's a radical countermeasure I want you all to consider, it's crazy I know but hear me out... shoot the pets. Seriously they take like two salvo to kill and if you have fire at will or scatter volley you can clear them in like five seconds and he has to wait like 30 to launch another set.

Or I suppose you could keep whining about them I suppose, but I'm not sure that will be very effective.

By Jimminy why didn't I think of...oh wait, half a mo, I did!

Unfortunately that means having to have Fire At Will or Scatter Volley depending on weapon type, and since we're talking about capital ships here primarily, that's precious few weapons power slots that have to be sacrificed in order to work. And while you FAW or CSV you're still at a dead standstill while the armed to the teeth shieldscort rips through your shields and hull with impunity and takes grazing damage from those powers that to any capable pilot with a half competent build can shrug off with a few key strokes. Meaning shortly thereafter my ship is an expanding gas cloud which in most instances it wouldn't be but for the cause of my original complaint....three or four puny shuttles holding it dead still in space. Which is STILL a ridiculous visual and an even more ridiculous mechanic.

Thank you for the brilliant suggestion but I'ma stay the course on my complaint, shuttles halting capital ships dead is clownishly unbelieveable and should be removed from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Again. read the topic. I think we've established that those shuttles could slow you down/stop you.