Lt. Commander
# 31
06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Well, there IS supposed to be San Francisco Fleet Yards as well.
Why not have both? We have empty buildings at SFA, turn one of them into a Transporter room that can beam us to the Yards?

Also, what about the Klingon Fleetyards? It seems more than a little unfair that we're only talking about the Fed side. I understand that Cryptic is reluctant to build a lot of KDF stuff right now, because of the low population. But, there is that old adage: If You Build It, They Will Come.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Another factor no one is considering, is that your ship is roughly human size. All of the ships we show out the windows have to be saved off as environment assets, and scaled up like 65x. Spawning your ship outside would look ridiculous.
Seeing as though the scaled up ships are environmental assets, is there any way we could have them for the Foundry?

Say, the Odyssey and the Galaxy class ships in ESD Ship Requisitions, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Where would you put them? If you put them in space maps, they would be huge. And I don't know of any ground maps (other than ESD?) that would make sense to have a ship in?
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Where would you put them? If you put them in space maps, they would be huge. And I don't know of any ground maps (other than ESD?) that would make sense to have a ship in?
Possibly a ship that landed. Of course then we would need them to have landing struts, and I don't know if the Odyssey can land.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
I have a KDF foundry mission series that I cant' complete because the story requires a Klingon ship to be in low orbit (viable from the surface) giving fire support to advancing ground troops. So that's where I'd use one. I'd also like to be able to put in fighters, similar to the Scorpion fighter in Cutting the Cord, as a mob, As well as stationary props for a Air Base that will be in the series.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
I've always wondered about that. We see it in TOS (I think it was in the movies), but TNG and on they always talk about McKinley station. I believe the Enterprise-E was built there (SF Fleet yeard) (and refitted there at the end of Nemesis), but I'm not sure.

Do we know if the San Francisco Fleet Yards are still in operation?
Yep, according to the dedication plaques of both the USS Sutherland and USS Enterprise-E it still was still in operation. There's also meant to be a shipyard facility near or on the surface of the moon too.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
Possibly a ship that landed. Of course then we would need them to have landing struts, and I don't know if the Odyssey can land.
That's what I was thinking, really. It could add a lot to the feel of a particular map (giving it a sense of scale) if we could put a ship above it. We'd also have the ability to make missions that involve either the crash of a ship, or the planetside landing of one.

Or if we had a blank ground map - with a starry backdrop - and the ability to put these ships on it, we could make missions First Contact style with ground combat on the outside of the ship.

I don't know how hard this would be to do, but if the assets are there and ready to use, I think we should have the option to use them
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Yep, according to the dedication plaques of both the USS Sutherland and USS Enterprise-E it still was still in operation. There's also meant to be a shipyard facility near or on the surface of the moon too.
Several, actually. From various dedication plaques, there's a Luna Shipyard, Tranquility Base, and Copernicus Shipyards on or around the moon.

As for Earth, the USS Pasteur was built at the Marin County Starfleet yards, and there's references to an Oakland Fleet Yards, both of which may or may not be around Earth. So Earth has all kinds of shipbuilding, and that's not even considering the references to all sorts of other locations - there's shipyards at Proxima Centauri, one somewhere in the Bajor sector, and who knows how many others, considering so many of the ones references come from the dedication plaques of really just a few dozen ships.

Utopia Planitia may have made some notable ships, but Starfleet is huge. It can't put all its eggs in that basket.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
That's cool, but if there was a way to make it work I'd be happy to take that spot where the Excelsior is
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
I already used the Galaxy-Class giant model in a Foundry mission I did called "Zimmerman's Travels".