Lt. Commander
# 41
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking each individual, orbital drydock carries its own name. Just like the starships do. I don't think Earth needs a cluster of shipyards in the same fashion as Utopia Planitia does. SF Shipyard is one, orbital drydock parked over California. McKinley Station, though not stated as such, may be a homage to the fictional McKinley Rocket Base seen in Assignment: Earth. Assuming that was in Florida (I don't think that was stated), I'd park that drydock over Florida.

I'd park one drydock in orbit of Luna to be Copernicus Fleetyard. Luna Shipyard may not have been a Starfleet facility. But where independent transports, like the SS Xhosa, were being built.

IMO, the Oakland Shipyard was literally on the ground in Oakland. For smaller, support craft. Like shuttles and, maybe, Runabouts.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I haven't heard any plans like that. My take is that 90% of players would be seriously miffed if they had to return to drydock every time they needed a repair.

While i agree there is something cool about it, the realities of the type of game we have mean that really doesn't fly for most people.
Thanks again for the feed back, i really didn't think of it that way, i suppose it could get annoying for most players . . Aw well . . i had to ask :-). So no returning to spacedock with battle scars like in Search for Spock for me.

Quote:
Spawning your ship outside would look ridiculous.
LOL . . i had to laugh at the size issue, i can almost see myself sitting on the hull of my ship and riding it out of spacedock like a space pony . . yah mule . . . yah !
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
HA HA! So your solution for this thing that we can't do at the moment is to "just do it."?

Talk is cheap, it makes this all sound so simple. Maybe it is, again, not my area of expertise. But I have yet to see it in any of our games, and I don't know of any way to do this currently.

Another factor no one is considering, is that your ship is roughly human size. All of the ships we show out the windows have to be saved off as environment assets, and scaled up like 65x. Spawning your ship outside would look ridiculous.
My solution for 'just do it' was a conceptual one, not a coding one. ofcourse I don't have access to the games source code, so I don't know the intricacies of it, however, in other games I have modded there has been the ability to actually scale models via the games code. As such, scaling up your ship model is certainly not beyond the realms of possability.

The logic would be:-

Player begins to load map (shipyard)
Server loads players ship details, scales up model and spawns in at ship spawn location
Server loads the players avatar details and spawns player model at beam in point
Loadscreen ends

All of this information is stored on the server, whilst I'm aware that the code to make it happen is not on the server right now, it really is relatively easy to code in (assuming time could be put aside to have a coder look into it). This isn't like the code where people want to walk around thier ship and fly it at the same time 8which is considerably harder), this is just a matter of spawning an art asset and scaling it.

Look at it this way, if the feature was added to the game (especially the model scaling), then it could be used in all the other Cryptic games too :-)
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-14-2012, 06:21 AM
I always wondered if ships in STO were able to use the character growth from Champions for scaling, the one that increases the physical size of your character while out of combat.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
I haven't heard any plans like that. My take is that 90% of players would be seriously miffed if they had to return to drydock every time they needed a repair.
Would make a lot more sense than...

1. Having to go to a starbase to change your outfit. What happened to replicators?

2. Having to go to a starbase to access your bank. What happened to the cargo bay?

3. Having to go to a starbase to train your existing boffs. What happened to holodeck simulations?
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Would make a lot more sense than...

1. Having to go to a starbase to change your outfit. What happened to replicators?

2. Having to go to a starbase to access your bank. What happened to the cargo bay?

3. Having to go to a starbase to train your existing boffs. What happened to holodeck simulations?
Yep. We have those empty art assets in orbit of Earth, some housing other starships. We could fly up to those and click repair / heal the same way we do from the CMOs on major starbases.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Admittedly, I'm not a programmer. Perhaps it's doable in some way, but I have been working here for 7 years, and have never seen this done. To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
When playing Colosseum the cut scene at the end is taken place in the map itself. I figured this out when I've manage to trap Slamek in a well placed cover shield and kept him beside me or when place the Triolic pattern enhancers to put me out of phase for when I get shot. But from what I can tell when you are on a team each member is sees themselves front and center waiting for Hakeev to shoot them. Would it be possible to use this to make our own ship visible on esd?

Quote:
Where would you put them? If you put them in space maps, they would be huge. And I don't know of any ground maps (other than ESD?) that would make sense to have a ship in?
In Diplomatic orders I was thinking this would make sense if we could have flew and landed the shuttle. I think it would make some missions better. then you could also have some ships like the Intrepid land on the planet as well since that ship is capable of it. Maybe even a Federation Saucer crash landing into a woodland area.

P.S. I still think the environmental controls need a bit of work on most maps. My toons are usually a bit chilly.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Why not just have, for the interior of Earth Space Dock, active ships. I, personally, love the Odessy docked there...but why not do a little more than that? I remember in KOTOR I, on the oceanic planet, the ships in the docks would come and go intermittently. The same ships, but they'd simulate activity. Why not have a Galaxy Class ship that goes in and out of the space dock. The Odessy (Or whatever vessel you want to feature/advertise) can stay where it is, but why not have the deflector and other ship systems shut down and have worker bees attaching hull plating and such.

I think what everyone is looking for is just functionality. Either functionality or what looks like functionality.

I, personally, liked it when the space docks in the sol system were closer to the Earth Space dock, as apposed to far away. That gave the idea of functionality. And I personally won't tell you to 'just do it'. Because I know there's way more that goes into this than a good idea and some codes.

So long as you guys hear what we're saying, I'm pleased.

And if I can just let out one of my grievances right now: Why are ceilings so high? Seriously, in every interior building of STO, the ceilings are -high-. Really really high. On starships, you could fit the statue of liberty inside of them, when in actuality, they were no higher than ten feet in height. It's not a big deal or anything, but a pet-pieve for a realistic Roleplayer like myself. :3
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Admittedly, I'm not a programmer. Perhaps it's doable in some way, but I have been working here for 7 years, and have never seen this done. To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
I was also thinking about in Mine Enemy during the Cut scene where Janek and Hakeev are fighting. If you are in a team and one member hits escape to skip the cut sceen they can run right through the map and be seen in the other peoples cut scene. so that aurgument is still visible to other people when they are able to walk right though and not know whats happening.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-17-2012, 06:52 AM
It is understandable why everything is in ESD and therefore UPS isn't of any used.
In the future, can we make UPS a 'car dealership'? Like you can purchase new ships in UPS as well as ESD but in UPS you can take any ship (even c-store ships) out for a test drive, just like the Oddy in the 2nd Anniversary.

I would love to see the glamour shots / ship inspection from TMP and first episode of ENT. Can we fly an inspection pod / work bee around a high-res version of what ever ship we want? This will probably take more work since just scaling up any model would make the texture look terrible.

From a comment earlier, I would love to see large ships in ground maps. The Intrepid and Defiant class can both land and I imagine their sister classes can too. Space background with the ship acting as the ground would be awesome too but this must require more work on the art team since scaling up something like the Oddy to accurate scale compared to a player character will make the texture look way too crappy.