Lt. Commander
I was doing ISE last night, and one of the other team members volunteered to take the right side probe duty before I could, so I figured I'd take the left instead. No big deal, i do it all the time with my science vessel.

Things were going fine, but I noticed a character named Lex wasn't focusing his DHC's on the generators, but rather on the probes.

I told him to go help with the transformers, since I had the probes covered.

No response.

I sent him a private message telling him to leave the probes to me.

No response.

I tried in the chat again, at which point someone else mentioned that he PROBABLY HAD HIS CHAT CLOSED.

Alright, screw it. I'll go take my significantly less DPS and go help with the transformers and gates for the rest of the session and left him to his own devices. We eventually ran out of time anyway, but by the time we destroyed both gates, he had let three probes slip through. We destroyed the boss, I got my loot, and left.

I think that the STFs should force open a chat box: one that cannot be closed or modified for any reason. It will only display your teammates chat, and will FORCE THE PLAYER TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE IS SAYING. Communication is a key part of winning, people! Sheesh.

Not being able to speak English is bad enough, but at least those players would see that their teammates are communicating and should be able to figure out that at least everyone else is working together. People who have their chats turned off are the worst though. They just do what they want and make the other people accept what they want to do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-22-2012, 08:01 AM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. The problem isn't that his chat window was closed, the problem is that he doesn't want to cooperate and coordinate with the group. And there's nothing you can ever put in the game's code that will fix that.

I do appreciate your sentiment but there just isn't any way around people like that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
I think this is a bad idea. A lot of people have thin skins and most of the people I've seen handing out "corrections" in STFs aren't exactly nice about it. Forcing the chat window to stay open basically forces people into a potentially/probably abusive environment depending on whether they're going into a normal or an elite STF.

Generally I've not experienced anything but the occassional bit of general frustration with the general situation, but I've also seen people that are control freaks that flip out if somebody doesn't respond to their directions right the hell yesterday and others that just start spewing abuse if the least little thing doesn't go absolutely perfect. I've never been the recipient but they're off-putting enough that I close my window when it happens because the only other option is to just leave.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
And you know, the chat window could be open but they can turn team/local/zone entirely off, thus making it being open not helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavier View Post
And you know, the chat window could be open but they can turn team/local/zone entirely off, thus making it being open not helpful.
And considering a whole mess of other information is going by, messages may not be visible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I guess you just had to be there, but with this guy being the center of attention for our chat thoughout the whole stf, it would be impossible to not reply to any of it unless he could not see the team chat.

Like it or not, but some basic functionalities and freedoms need to be restricted and forced upon the player for certain situations. I would gladly take a bossy jerkhole if it meant that he was aware of the others in the group.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
I guess you just had to be there, but with this guy being the center of attention for our chat thoughout the whole stf, it would be impossible to not reply to any of it unless he could not see the team chat.

Like it or not, but some basic functionalities and freedoms need to be restricted and forced upon the player for certain situations. I would gladly take a bossy jerkhole if it meant that he was aware of the others in the group.
Uh-huh. Right. It's sentiment like that, that sucks all the fun out of games. It's one step away from the "if you're not any good I don't want you on my team, now get gone loser" attitude which I got on more than one occasion in little league baseball (or really Boy's Club because we didn't have an actual little league) because, you guessed it, I wasn't any good.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-23-2012, 12:12 AM
We need to disble chat entirely except for short "coded" transmissions

such as "take starboard" "cover me"

Because I had to deal with someone shouting at me to "ut some ARMOR on (Redacted for swearing"

Well pal (And I KNOW you read the forum) I was wearing armour with the visuals OFF
And it wasn't me that wound up calling for help every 30 seconds was it ??
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
We need to disble chat entirely except for short "coded" transmissions

such as "take starboard" "cover me"

Because I had to deal with someone shouting at me to "ut some ARMOR on (Redacted for swearing"

Well pal (And I KNOW you read the forum) I was wearing armour with the visuals OFF
And it wasn't me that wound up calling for help every 30 seconds was it ??
Just as long as the other teammates see these communications, I don't care what they do. The fact is that they NEED TO SEE THE COMMUNICATIONS.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Just a question. Did you considder that maybe the person in question my not be able to communicate with english text? I have had several STF pugs that had members that could not read/write or speak a single word in english.

Had one very funny Elite run with a buddy where I only read/write speak english.
My buddy reads/writes speaks English, German, French.
1 pugger read/wrote/spoke French+his native language.
1 pugger read/wrote Russian.
1 pugger read/wrote Russian, German.

Needless to say it was one interesting situation. We did get the bonus.